Priming engine only 38 psi oil pressure

If you're sucking air on the low pressure side of the pump, it has to be the pick up tube above the water line, the block passage, the TC gasket where the oil passage is, or a cracked cover (that would show a leak at rest)

Cool man. Do you know someone at a machine shop?
I guess I'm considered the "assistant" around the machine shop. I have the privilege of working with a man who machines and engineers drivetrains that have propelled cars well into the history books in Bonneville and El Mirage.

Now he sits around eating ice cream and dictating, takes way too long to get things done, starts at 4pm and goes home at 9pm:D:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Here is a video of the sound. Definitely coming from the pickup kicking back the pressure after letting off the drill. Also, a picture of the air-aided oil.

Pic.

Attachments

• IMG_5293[1].JPG
    IMG_5293[1].JPG
    966.8 KB · Views: 98
Who installed the front cover? Did you check all the bolts? make sure they are all tight and one is not missing. There is one small bolt that is easily missed just above the oil pump. Second bolt up from the bottom.

Last edited:
Who installed the front cover? Did you check all the bolts? make sure they are all tight and one is not missing. There is one small bolt that is easily missed just above the oil pump. Second bolt up from the bottom.

It was installed at ATK along with the oil pump. I am going to add more oil tonight, make sure the pickup is covered at the gasket mating surface and prime it. Just completely rule that out. Then the front case and oil pump will come off.

It was installed at ATK along with the oil pump. I am going to add more oil tonight, make sure the pickup is covered at the gasket mating surface and prime it. Just completely rule that out. Then the front case and oil pump will come off.
I have seen a casting crack in the back of the engine mount bolt hole (almost not visible) which will leak into the pump output galley along the block skirt. This happened to me. I sealed the bolt and no further issue.

Looking at a cutaway block in the Buick Free Spirit Power Manual, that motor mount bolt hole is very close to the oil pickup passage. Looks about 1/8-3/16" thickness. It's just above the crankshaft centerline in the blueprints. Something to look at. Also, where the block is clearanced for #1 rod bolt is a place to look at, but most blocks are pretty thick there.

Finally Got the snow cleared, took the timing cover off and there it is. This is how the genius at ATK installed the front gasket.

It's all back together now with a new gasket. And it started snowing again. So, I'll be back tomorrow for the priming process. Hopefully that was it. My luck though, can't be that simple......

Attachments

• IMG_5385.JPG
    IMG_5385.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 155
  • IMG_5386.JPG
    IMG_5386.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 145
You have found your problem for sure. Right gasket, bad installation. Had to be sucking air inside the cover. I would share those photos with ATK's warranty people. The guy or girl even made their own bolt hole in the gasket. That should have given them a clue.