NEW MPE stock location intercooler!!!

Mease Performance

Performance Fabrication/Supporting Vendor
Gauging interest on two prototype stock location intercoolers we are currently testing:

First intercooler is the smaller of the two versions, built for optimal ground clearance for use on Buick owners with terrible driveway entries and of course for the TTA (identical bracketry) core will be efficient to the mid-high 10 second area.

As compared to our current 13, 15, 17, and 20 row units this unit will have the same ground clearance as the 13 row unit and have the same efficiency +some compared to the CAS V4 intercooler unit. This unit is equipped with our standard 2.5" inlet neck and a new 3" outlet, a 3" mandrel bent aluminum uppipe will be included with each intercooler as well as your choice of transition hose or straight 3" coupling dependent on whether you are running stock, 62, or 70 mm throttle bodies.

Second of the two intercoolers will be the largest stock location intercooler (air-air) on the market, core is proven effective partway into the 9 second territory, and ground clearance will be the same of that as compared to or 17 row unit. this intercooler will be available with either a 2.5" or 3" inlet neck and new 3" outlet, will also include 3" mandrel bent uppipe with your choice of couplers for the TB end.

All intercoolers will include a large powdercoated sheetmetal adjustable intake shroud available either WITH or WITHOUT swaybar notches, new relocated passenger side intercooler bracket, powdercoated uppipe (3"), hoses, and couplings (as necessary).

Intercoolers will be available bare (no finish) for maximum transfer efficiency, or in a flat/satin black finish for optimum efficiency while still offering corrosion protection. NO INTERCOOLERS WILL BE POWDERCOATED!!! as powdercoat is an INSULATOR and is not very effective at all on intercooler cores
:( :cool:

Please post here if you are in the market for an upgraded stock location intercooler and if one of these units will fit your needs!

have a great weekend!

<KM@>MPE:cool: :cool: :cool:

I need a new stock location intercooler this year. I'm looking to buy by April 1, do you have an idea on when they will be available and the approx. prices?

Pricing and availability:

pricing:

$749.95 and $899.95 consecutively, remember that these are newly designed cores, vacuum brazed/high efficiency, etc, (all the latest bells and whistles) and include high flow 3" outlet and 3" mandrel bent uppipe plus your choice of powdercoat colors on uppipe and shroud.

Availability will surely be dependent on how many cores we start into production, and whether our core manufacturer can keep up with our demand...these intercoolers are available at this price now, but, I wouldnt expect delivery for at least 2-3 weeks, possibly longer, as they are not into production yet and are strictly built on a "custom" basis at this time. If our core manufacturer can keep up with the demand we will have the units in-stock ready to ship that day.

<KM@>MPE

:cool: :cool: :cool:

pictures

any pictures?looking to go back to a stock location intercooler.

"have the same efficiency +some compared to the CAS V4 intercooler"

What is this based off of? Do you have a flow tunnel reading that compares your results to CAS's results? Or are you using the same cores as CAS?

If the core is a new design, what type of core is it?

Originally posted by GNVYUS 1
"have the same efficiency +some compared to the CAS V4 intercooler"

What is this based off of? Do you have a flow tunnel reading that compares your results to CAS's results? Or are you using the same cores as CAS?

If the core is a new design, what type of core is it?

Hmm only 3 posts. I love how you guys have to make up new screen names. Must be a jealous CAS employee! LOL :D

>What is this based off of? Do you have a flow tunnel reading that compares your results to CAS's results? Or are you using the same cores as CAS?

The CAS core is different than the mainstream, and performs exceptionally well IME. It seems like a legitimate question to me, and one that any potential customer might want to know. The answer should be interesting.

TurboTR

Do you think all the guys looking for dyno #'s on the power plate are from other turbo vendors? Or is it that a new member with a low post count should not ask vendors questions?

I have owned my GN and other sports cars for a while and know a little something about intercoolers and wonder why a vendor would make such a claim unless they had proof.
Otherwise, I invented the ?.
Who's to say I did not invent it Gnvair?

I am not here to change this thread to you and me, just want to see what makes this the new IT.

Do you think all the guys looking for dyno #'s on the power plate are from other turbo vendors? Or is it that a new member with a low post count should not ask vendors questions?

I have owned my GN and other sports cars for a while and know a little something about intercoolers and wonder why a vendor would make such a claim unless they had proof.
Otherwise, I invented the ?.
Who's to say I did not invent it Gnvair?

I am not here to change this thread to you and me, just want to see what makes this the new IT.

Sounds like you invented the wooden nickle. :rolleyes:

I have the answers lol

I am not and will not doubt the designs of other intercooler manufacturers in the market today, because there are so few that build Buick specific intercoolers other than custom versions and all offer respectful gains.

Our core is nothing special, just the latest and greatest, no I cannot disclose where we get the cores made (we surely dont build them-sorry) but reason I stated that these cores are more efficient as compared to that of the V4 and V4r is simply because they are larger, more FPI (fins per inch) which in turn creates greater transfer efficiency. While we are on the subject fo transfer efficiency, coating applied to the intercooler is EXTREMELY important in designing an intercooler...when we do coat them, they are with a flat black, which transfers much more heat from core to ambient as compared to powdercoat, powdercoat is thick and actually a really good insulator, which is exactly the opposite you would want on the core(looks cool though)
:D

Both of our new stock location units will NOT utilize cast end tanks, but .125 (1/8") thick sheet aluminum, sheetmetal is easier to work with, almost as productive (tad more welding required), and we wont have to worry about casting flaws and leakage throughout the castings (big problem with some of the Cartech intercoolers)....another plus would be that the sheetmetal tanks transfer heat better and faster than the cast end tanks.

We have track tested the CAS V4 and V4r intercoolers versus our current 15 and 17 row packages with exceptional results, Daryl Riegel of the turbo buick newsletter did some in-depth testing at cecil county dragway in Maryland with $20K in data logging equipment setting where the PS front seat resided in his '87 GN.

One of the most important design aspects of a stock location intercooler is the shrouding, since the intercooler core is not located in a direct path for incoming ambient air, shroud design plays a major part in effectiveness, and we believe we have maximized its potential here.

Feel free to post more questions, thats how we create better products....

thanks, <KM> @MPE

I have owned my GN and other sports cars for a while and know a little something about intercoolers....

Seems like your attitude is to stir up a mess not to obtain vendor infomation? Also, if you "know a little something about intercoolers" then you should know there are better, more efficient cores than the V-4 available.

The V-4 is a good piece, but I will never buy from a person that is not truthul in his dealings. This is not a slam, but truth that I have experienced over many years.

I am not as experienced a fabricator as Keith, but have also been looking into a high performance stock location intercooler. His info seems credible to me and am sure he will do further testing to validate its performance.

If you have valid info to add, please post your real name so we can all know who you are?:confused:

One of the most important design aspects of a stock location intercooler is the shrouding, since the intercooler core is not located in a direct path for incoming ambient air, shroud design plays a major part in effectiveness, and we believe we have maximized its potential here.

will the shroud be aval. to buy seperate? i dont think i will have the money for a new IC for a long time nor to i think my car's power level need a new IC to gain the most out of my combo. but my shroud (rubber scoop) has seen some better days. so the question is will the shroud be aval. as an individual item to fit the stock IC location?

thanks a lot

Dathan

Yeah and I'm not sure if the V4 uses the same core as the latest gen V1 does (did?). But the core I'm referring to is extruded and very massive, ie heavy. That thermal mass is probably the majority of what makes the temp rise on this IC the slowest I've seen during a pass, compared to other front mounts I've had on it. IMO it's very important to start a run at the lowest core temp possible. The bottom line is, if you start at say 40 deg higher core temp than you otherwise could have then the final charge air temp will be some ~ 40 deg higher than it could have been during and at the end of the run. But in practice this is tough to do IME based on a number of factors, like drawing in underhood air while idling in the lanes, etc. But I've seen final charge air temps of about 100 deg in mine when it was running in the 130's mph and 28 psi boost with a 76. Starting at core temp of about 75 deg or so (ambient). That's very good air/air perf IMO. That's why that IC is still on the car, and likely always will be :) Lately though I see about 40 deg with hose on, 30 psi boost, same '76 turbo but flowing maximum air into a 274" mill; rising to about 85 deg by runs end :) Who needs water/ice? lol :)

As for coatings, the thing is that no matter what the coating the majority of the fins and core don't wind up getting coated. The end tanks and very front/rear though sure. Not sure how big a factor it is really being non-coated vs performance gained in the long run by preventing corrosion, etc. But I shared your concerns and painted my own alum radiator for example (rather than being powder coated) wth some of that thin Eastwood radiator black spray paint. But in the end I don't know that it really made any detectable difference though.

JMO. Nice to hear some people working on some new, high perf stuff at least.

TurboTR

There are special coatings out there to move heat. I put this coating on the inside of oil pans. It becomes slick and oil just sheds off the sides to the bottom of the pan.

And as I often say, these people are great to do your work.

http://www.thermaltechcoatings.com/prod03.htm

Hit the tabs on the side and read the addtional information.

MPE intercooler latest:

Thanks everyone for your input....somewhat helpful...

Yes we can custom fabricate a shroud to fit any intercooler, but you are going to pay at least twice as much because I dont think we will put them into production (one offs)

Intercooler: one coat of flat black paint is definitely MUCH thinner than powdercoat, we do powdercoating here and sometimes a part will get scratched and once you put two coats on it must be stripped because the powdercoat is such a good insulator that if the part is not stripped down back to bare metal, the static charge will not allow the powder to adhere, I bet if we tested one of our 15-row units uncoated versus a unit that we powdercoated with one coat.....under exactly the same conditions I bet outlet temps would be at least 10 degrees less with the uncoated version, since heat will be dissapated much quicker and more effectively.

Best option would be to anodize the intercoolers, that would be trick, and surely I'd love to do it...but I dont think we would sell enough intercoolers to make it worth our while since that type of coating is pretty high dollar.

<KM>@ MPE