new engine smokes

Jay J

2000 miles on pretty much stock rebuild: torque plate honed block with Total Seal Gapless 2nd rings, heads have new guides with seals on both int. and exh., rebuilt centersection, mild Comp Cam. Car runs strong, but lays down a James Bond cloud upon reaching cruising speed and sometimes @ idle. Never under boost. Blocked off PCV with no effect. If this has happened to you, I'd love to hear the cure...
Thanks,
Jay J

I saw this once...from my rearview mirror :rolleyes: Pull off the up-pipe [between the intercooler and throttle-body]. If you see oil here there's a couple of things to check. First, if you haven't eliminated the pipe from the p/s valve cover to the inlet bell of the turbo, then this is a source for oil to get into the up-pipe. If you have a breather only on the p/s valve cover, them pull off the MAF to turbo hose/pipe and see how much the turbo wheel moves side to side and front to back. There should be a very, very small amount of movement on the turbo shaft...measured in thousands, not 1/8ths. If you have excessive movement, then you should have your turbo looked at by a knowledgable shop.
Your description sounds like my experience and it was my turbo.
HTH
Jim

Intake gasket maybe leaking sucking oil in under vacuum conditions. Go back and retighten the intake see if it helps.

Probably Need More Miles

Have heard that the Total Seal Gapless rings perform well but cylinder honing has to be exactly as stated in their instructions. Otherwise, they take longer to seat properly. Guessing you need about 5,000 more miles.