New turbo, new valve seals, smoke.

disco stu

I put a new turbo on, and a used set of iron heads. I had a valve job done, and new valve seals. They said the guides were good. It smokes slightly at idle, but when I rev it, it belches out a good puff of white smoke. It is a precision DBB, so it does have the oil restriction designed in the fitting.

So, since it smokes when I rev it from idle which do you suspect first? I have plugged the pcv, this had no effect. Compression and leakdown are great. TIA.

Well I would check the up pipe and intercooler for oil first, if their is oil in them then its the turbo..Which turbo did you get and what valve seals are you using ?

I would also check for a kinked oil return line..this is fairly easy to have happen if using the braided line.

What oil?

I switched to Royal Purple for 1 day.Smoked :confused:

Back to Moble 1. Like new

$70 down the drain.

I'd also check to see if the valve seals didn't become unseated off the guide...ask me how I know.:mad:

Make sure the intake is sealing aginst the heads. I was fighting a similar problem and found out the heads I had rebuilt were letting oil past the seals...since I had the heads off I took them to a machine shop rebuild them correctly. After the price they quoted me champion irons weren't that much more. No more smoke! I understand your frustration!

That sucks.

I would look in the cold side first, looking for oil, and then the hot side.

Nothing - then look at the plugs and see if there is an area that might need some attention.

Maybe just an issue with the intake gasket sealing up

white smoke can be from oil in the exhaust, like from the exhaust valve guide....

Been there, done that.

Its most likely not the turbo.

Bob

Ok, alot of oil was getting sucked throught the PCV. I could see oil sitting on top of the power plate. I put a catch can on it and it's picking up a significant amount of oil. It does not smoke as bad now, but it's still smoking way too much.

Compression is even 150 across the board.

turbine wheel/dp is dry

intercooler pipes are dry

plugs are dry (a little carbon fouled but I think that it is from messing with the tune on the XFI)

It's not water, it smells like oil, and the cooling system holds pressure and vacuum tests indefinitely.

If it is in the chamber one would think that the plugs would be wet. But then again, if it was in the turbo, one would think that the turbine or pipes would be wet.

Valve seals are still seated.

The machine shop SAID they checked the valve guides. But I did not do a vacuum test on the heads (stupid stupid stupid).

Stock exhaust guides? If so remove the heads have them cut and positive seals installed with new exhaust valves. No more smoke ask me how I know.

TurboPete's motor did this exact thing,everything was good. Machineshop rechecked everything,I rechecked it also. But for some reason it smoked at start up and sometimes at idle.

If you are getting oil in your pcv catch-can it sounds like ring blow-by to me.

Do you have alot of air coming out the valve cover breathers? You may be overwhelming your PCV system.

I put the catch can and solved my issue also. I ran some GM top engine cleaner after the catch can install to remove any of the excess oil that had accumulated in the engine. No more smoke issues.

Posting up what I found. It was leaking between the manifold and heads.

Pulled the plenum off and there was fresh oil everywhere. Cleaned it all out thoroughly. Let it run til it smoked, and pulled the plenum off again. Head runners were wet but intake runners were not. I pulled the intake, and by the gasket was embossed it appeared that it was sealing just fine. It even looked dry. Had the intake milled anyways, and viola.... no more smoke.

Pulled the plenum off and there was fresh oil everywhere. Cleaned it all out thoroughly. Let it run til it smoked, and pulled the plenum off again. Head runners were wet but intake runners were not. I pulled the intake, and by the gasket was embossed it appeared that it was sealing just fine. It even looked dry. Had the intake milled anyways, and viola.... no more smoke.

Stu.. thanks for sharing.. great diag work.

Did you have the sides and bottom milled,just the sides?