New motor ,wet plenum and wont build boost

464ci

A little back story, I honestly know limited amount about turbo motors but have built quite a few big blocks. My friend asked me to build him a turbo motor two plus years ago with the understanding he would handle all the turbo electronics etc. It is a 3.8 .030 over it has mildly ported heads with a hyd. cam 270/ 280 adv. duration , .448/.472 lift @ valve. precision ball bearing turbo (62) the throttle body is a 70mm with but don't know the make. The injectors are 60 lbs. It has a turbo tweaked 5.6 chip with a upgraded 3 bar MAP and a LS MAF.

The motor was put together and all was good it made good power and clean as can be. We only got one pass when we had taken it to the track but it ran 11.50 @ 118 mph on 19 lbs of boost so lots of potential. My buddy ran the car around the house minimal amount the rest of the year and first developed a lifter tick so we figured it was a bad lifter so we changed it and not long after started to have a mis which we found out to be a dead cylinder (70% leakdown) We pulled the motor and found the cam thrust had eaten into the block and dumped cast iron through the motor so at that point we knew why the lifter had failed as well.

I took the motor apart and had the crank ground 10/10 ,new bearings , touch honed the block and fixed the cam thrust face on the block and made a bronze thrust washer for the cam etc. etc

We fired the motor last week and every thing seemed ok until you would start to bring the rpm's up it would really start pushing oil out both sides and NO BOOST. I pulled the plugs and there drenched in oil so I I did a leakdown and all the cylinders are Like 1 % leakdown. It has total seal gapless rings in it now where before it had speed pros.before.

This were I'm completely lost I pulled the dog house off and theres oil in the plunum area and evidence of oil in all runners. I then figured maybe its the pcv then cause where else is the Oil coming from so I unhooked the pcv and put it back together and no difference. If the rings were the issue could oil get pushed all the way up into the plenum area ? But again the leakdown shows that the compression rings are sealed tight as can be..

It seems to me that the two issues are tied together oiled plugs and O boost ( yes the gage works we checked that as well)
Not sure where to turn from here , I don't know anybody that is into turbo cars and Ive talked to everybody I know and I'm at a dead end . Any help would greatly be appreciated . Hopefully my explanation above is somewhat coherent to give you the jest of whats going on . Thanks and sorry for the long post.

ps it does have a data logger but something is messed up so cant give any data from that.

What a nightmare. Plugs soaked with oil sounds like its coming from below but I don't see how it would get into the intake. Clarification needed on "oil pushing out both sides". Out breathers? Or Exhaust?

Any oil in the turbo compressor or intercooler?

A data logger is not going to help this situation.

We checked the turbo and its completely dry. The oil is out the tail pipes and nothing out the breathers. If you have fresh plugs in it and start it it idles beautiful with no real signs of oil out the tail pipes , its when you bring the rpms up that it really starts throwing oil. I thought maybe it has a leak between the head and the intake and the turbo is somehow pressurizing the bottom end but don't know if that's feasible. Also the Vacumm is steady so don't think its a intake leak. but at this point don't have a clue.

sounds like you are most defiantly sucking oil up into the pcv then its running from your throttle body into the inside of the intake manifold

It has total seal gapless rings in it now where before it had speed pros.before. ...............................

We would NEVER use gapless rings in a street engine?

If gapless rings are in a race engine, it is necessary to have a mechanical evac system to pull 10-15" vacuum.

It is a felpro gasket, not sure of the # off hand but it has a blue like Teflon like coating on it. The only change from when it was together before is the total seal gapless rings and the coating on the valley pan, the rest is the same and it was fine first time the motor was together. My one buddy did tell me about the problem white racing had with oil blow by and it turned out supposedly to be the diamond pistons which this motor has as well but they were fine the first time it was together so don't think that's the issue either.

I know some people are against gapless rings but still not sure this is the issue, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Was the intake gasket one or two piece? If it was a two piece did you make or buy a pan to keep the oil away from the pcv valve?

The valley pan is a one pc stock type other then the coating on it. I had unplugged the pcv to see if it would clear things up and it didn't change anything..

It is a felpro gasket, not sure of the # off hand but it has a blue like Teflon like coating on it. The only change from when it was together before is the total seal gapless rings and the coating on the valley pan, the rest is the same and it was fine first time the motor was together. My one buddy did tell me about the problem white racing had with oil blow by and it turned out supposedly to be the diamond pistons which this motor has as well but they were fine the first time it was together so don't think that's the issue either.
I got a customers car in once and it was a built stroker with N/A gaskets on it.
100% certain the HG's are correct?

Gapless rings are a pain in regard to oil control.
The downward motion of the pistons overwhelms the PCV with pressure in the crankcase.
They actually seal to well, I don't use 'em anymore.

If these problems are occurring in non vacuum conditions and you haven’t pressurized the crankcase (assuming it has good cross section on each valve cover id look at the oil return on the turbo. I️ used gapless rings in the late 90’s and I had to restrict the PCV to .040”. We are also assuming you used the correct oil rings. I️ check every pack of oil rings I️ install. A good friend installed new rings on an atv engine and it smoked. On tear down the rings had zero tension in the bores. You may want to pressure test the crankcase with the rocker arms removed. You can detect leak paths very easily with soapy water. Air leaking out the throttle body with the rockers removed would be a concern. Possible leakage at intake manifold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will it idle without smoking for as long as you let it? Or does it eventually start smoking?

Sounds like have ruled out the PCV 100%. That does not leave a lot of other option for oil to get in the intake.
It would have to be sucking big time oil to soak ALL the plugs. The PCV would be the most likely place.

Like Bison mentioned, you may have a issue with the oil rings. (n)

With this new motor, you wouldn't have put new grommets in the valve covers and not cut out a relief in the grommet so the motor can vent??

With this new motor, you wouldn't have put new grommets in the valve covers and not cut out a relief in the grommet so the motor can vent??

Good point. I’ve seen that a few times or tiny holes in the breathers and it pressurized under power

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys thanks for the responses so far. The valve covers are the cast aluminum ones with k&n breathers in them so its not that. The turbo is bone dry so definetly not coming from there. The motor will idol for as long as I let it idle and its clean (visually for oil) . When I get back over to his house Thursday I might loosen the rocker shafts up and try pressurizing the motor as bison suggested and see if that leads me anywhere. If that doesn't show anything I will probably just pull the motor, the only changes were the rings and the valley pan with the coating on it so has to be one of the two. I can understand the oil rings being wrong but don't understand the no boost situation. Thanks again for any and all input. I will update this as I dig into it. Thanks again.

FYI The motor has to be loaded to come into boost.
It won’t boost goosing the throttle in park.