New Dodge Challenger

tim87tr said:
I looked at one yesterday on a lot, and I have to agree with you, especially about the front end. Someone should post a poll to see what Buick owners think of the car. I would think there would be more thumbs down, or ugly POS :biggrin:

What purpose would this poll serve? You know what's funny here is that anytime there is the slightest dig or smack talking about a GN on another board people get their panties in a wad. Any "grandpa's car" comments from other boards are quickly responded to with comments about what a GN will do to their "brand x". However, when the shoe is on the other foot nobody wants to wear the "big boy pants". Petty and childish behavior IMO. It's the nature of the internet though - everything is depersonalized. I douby very highly you'd walk up to the owner of a Charger and tell him his car is a POS.

petesgn said:
Did they handle that bad ?

They "handle" OK, but...

They ride like a buckboard (6 and 7 leaf rear springs). The rear end on the big block was so stiff, you could easily perform unintentional 360's through the intersection, when your intention was to make a simple 90 degree left - did that a few times.

The factory seating position sucks. Image sitting on the floor of your buick, legs outstretched in a high bucket seat that didn't recline. The 6 way driver seat makes it bearable, but even 10 years ago, these were $500 at the junkyard.

The factory steering sucks. It so overboosted and without feel, it's like you are driving a video game from the 70's.

Power Disc brakes were rare. Mopar guys were all about going fast, and disk brakes wre slower... All the magazines said so, so MANY were ordered with manual drums. 250 - 300 ft stopping distance from 60 mph are not uncommon.

The factory unibody booms inside as you drive down the road. Its hard to describe, but the car needed about 200 lbs of sound deadener in it to hear the stereo going down the highway at 55 mph. The same unibody that is very prone to rust. So much so that I WOULD NEVER consider buying a mopar that was actually driven for any time north of I-40.

Other than these flaws, most of which can be corected with modern parts, they were cool to look at.

So the dilema with the old cars are they are only worth the "big bucks" if they are stock, but in the stock form, they absolutely suck to drive.

So I'll take a new one, screw the old ones.

lieu910 said:
What purpose would this poll serve? You know what's funny here is that anytime there is the slightest dig or smack talking about a GN on another board people get their panties in a wad. Any "grandpa's car" comments from other boards are quickly responded to with comments about what a GN will do to their "brand x". However, when the shoe is on the other foot nobody wants to wear the "big boy pants". Petty and childish behavior IMO. It's the nature of the internet though - everything is depersonalized. I douby very highly you'd walk up to the owner of a Charger and tell him his car is a POS.
I actually threw that out there for you, thinking you might post a poll, because it appeared you were overly concerned and sensitive about someone or anyone not liking the appearance of a vehicle. I really don't mind if someone doesn't like GNs, or any of my vehicles, because they are entitled to their opinion. I think you might be confusing an opinion on the appearance of a car to a complete seperate act and issue of directly insulting the owner of this vehicle. Didja have a bad day or something :confused: :rolleyes:

tim87tr said:
I actually threw that out there for you, thinking you might post a poll, because it appeared you were overly concerned and sensitive about someone or anyone not liking the appearance of a vehicle. I really don't mind if someone doesn't like GNs, or any of my vehicles, because they are entitled to their opinion. I think you might be confusing an opinion on the appearance of a car to a complete seperate act and issue of directly insulting the owner of this vehicle. Didja have a bad day or something :confused: :rolleyes:

Well, I knew I was being baited. I actually did have a bad day, but that's another story. No, my point was that saying something like the Charger is a POS raises the question of okay why is it a POS? Not liking it's appearance is an individual taste, I wasn't challenging that opinion. Looks aside there are plenty of good points to the Chargers. When I here someone say "it's a POS" it implies to me mechanically it's a POS, and that's where I raised the issue, because objectively speaking they are pretty far from being a POS. Again looks...well that's subjective and a matter of personal taste. See my point?

They are selling those Chargers as fast as they build them, so good for them. Now, I need to go wash my POS Magnum SRT8. Take care. ;)

lieu910 said:
Well, I knew I was being baited. I actually did have a bad day, but that's another story. No, my point was that saying something like the Charger is a POS raises the question of okay why is it a POS? Not liking it's appearance is an individual taste, I wasn't challenging that opinion. Looks aside there are plenty of good points to the Chargers. When I here someone say "it's a POS" it implies to me mechanically it's a POS, and that's where I raised the issue, because objectively speaking they are pretty far from being a POS. Again looks...well that's subjective and a matter of personal taste. See my point?

They are selling those Chargers as fast as they build them, so good for them. Now, I need to go wash my POS Magnum SRT8. Take care. ;)
Yea, that was a bait because of how you jumped on a couple other posts, and figured you might get on a good rant that would be funny. Guess I don't get to hear it now. I doubt mechanically it is bad and I would like the hp in any fast vehicle. Sure, looks are subjective :tongue: I had a 78 Magnum with a 360 :cool:

Cuda

I owned a 1970 Hemi Cuda (also a 68 Hemi Roadrunner) and anyone that has seen both body styles, cuda and challenger in person will tell ya that the 70 cuda was the best looking of the two; hands down, period. The side veiw/lines of the cuda reminds me alot of the 67/69 camero.
But if the Challenger that is bought to market looks that good and has the 393 cu.in. Hemi (500 HP) with an auto trans (bracket racing item) than I'm there even at 4100 lbs. PS: my 3950 lb./w driver street firebird ran 10.4's @129; it had a 9.5 compression pump gas carbed 502 BB thru full exhaust and in drive to do those numbers, so I think with a little work that the Challenger can be made to go also and it does look sweeeeet. :)

I just bought a Charger. I love everything about the car. I also think the front end is one of it's strong points. For the money I don't think there is anything that can match it. I looked at the GTO, but with a 1 year old that is just not practical. The hemi is powerful and smooth and the car has all the luxury you could want. With a few added mods I'm hoping for a solid 13 second car, and at the same time have the car seat and stroller in the back.

Just my .02

They say it will come out in 2009, that is the first car in years that I say "I want!", after the magnum and the charger, I guess they want to spend the next 3 years to get this one right :D