NEW ac compressor??

Short answer will the piccolo work well for R134? Yes. Is it the hands down supreme cooling best option? No.

Short answer will the piccolo work well for R134? Yes. Is it the hands down supreme cooling best option? No.

Good. Thanks for the help. If you find a source/pt #, plse let me know.
I'm returning the Modine part.

I did find a piccolo condenser (visteon 2092) for a camaro that has outlets on the passenger side that may work. I emailed a company who makes kits for the 81-88 g body, but for a v8. That condenser is a parallel flow, but the outlets are on the ds.

mWasEk8.jpg

Back to "dual/multi pass" condensors.....How to tell the difference???
I just got the Modine pt # 7-4013. [Crossed to it from the Ready Air 2035.]
It looks just like the original part off of my 86T.
It has a looped tube end opposite the in/out lines, and a manifold that feeds the core w/ individual lines.
can you post a pic chuck? thanks!

can you post a pic chuck? thanks!
This is the Modine and a stock condenser...
Very obvious that the newer core is much more efficient. Fin count, along w/ tube count is impressive. I'm going to go ahead and use it.
The vid that's posted states that the restrictions seen on the new core rail is what makes this core a multi-pass. [Note the crimps on the main tube.]

AC core comparo 002.jpg
AC core comparo 001.jpg

I think it'll work great for you! FYI if you got that condenser from Napa it is made by spectra premium. They don't carry modine.

While we are on the subject of compressors here some pictures of the one I got from Highway Stars. New GM. Notice that the connections for the line block is different. Stock used regular o rings and the replacement uses seals that go over the ends of the line block. Both seals stick out of the compressor the same amount and they call for a 1mm gap between the compressor and line block when installed. I am wondering what those two inserts are for though? The discharge port is the only place it could go and not sure what the purpose of them is? Anyone else go thru this?

comp2.jpg
comp3.jpg
comp1.jpg

While we are on the subject of compressors here some pictures of the one I got from Highway Stars. New GM. Notice that the connections for the line block is different. Stock used regular o rings and the replacement uses seals that go over the ends of the line block. Both seals stick out of the compressor the same amount and they call for a 1mm gap between the compressor and line block when installed. I am wondering what those two inserts are for though? The discharge port is the only place it could go and not sure what the purpose of them is? Anyone else go thru this?

View attachment 250993 View attachment 250994 View attachment 250992

If I remember correctly they are used when attaching the lines on the back side of the compressor.... you need them based on the updated design in the back of the compressor.

Have to look into this some more, obviously can only go in the discharge port as the suction side is a huge hole! I just don't see what purpose the insert provides. Either one is just loose inside the port. pics show them tilted in the port so you can see what they look like. Bigger end is same size as the pilots on the hose block. Smaller end does not fit into the pilot of the hose block. Only thing I can think of is they want the refrigerant to flow thru the piping from the port and not put pressure against these new design seals??

comp7.jpg
comp4.jpg
comp5.jpg

Attachments

• comp6.jpg
    comp6.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
DOH! Read the directions over and I have to drive the shorter one into the pilot of the hose block not into the port of compressor.

This is what I have found for my installation.....hope this helps ..
Try putting the sealing washer in first....

Attachments

• img029.jpg
    img029.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 204
  • img032.jpg
    img032.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 212
any update on fitment of the modine condenser chuck?

Not yet. Hope to start w/ a lot of changes, including the ac.
Smaster, plugs, injs, chip, wideband, Plogger, to name a few. That should keep me out of the Walmart for a while!!:smuggrin:

This is the Modine and a stock condenser...
Very obvious that the newer core is much more efficient. Fin count, along w/ tube count is impressive. I'm going to go ahead and use it.

View attachment 250883 View attachment 250884

The modine looks exactly like the spectra one I got through Amazon.
IMG_0162.JPG
It fit with the stock brackets and it looks like the lines will fit without much fuss.

Have to look into this some more, obviously can only go in the discharge port as the suction side is a huge hole! I just don't see what purpose the insert provides. Either one is just loose inside the port. pics show them tilted in the port so you can see what they look like. Bigger end is same size as the pilots on the hose block. Smaller end does not fit into the pilot of the hose block. Only thing I can think of is they want the refrigerant to flow thru the piping from the port and not put pressure against these new design seals??

View attachment 251000 View attachment 251001 View attachment 251002
Do your hoses not have 5/8 pilots on the block Mark? I just rebuild my a/c with that exact compressor from Glen.