NEW ac compressor??

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
Are new compressors available?
It looks like I'll need to change it out, and don't want a cheapo rebuilt.
Also, is there a better orifice valve that fits?
What about a higher efficiency condensor that is a stock replacement?
[Will probably have to go to r134] Still has r12 in it.
Would it be a good idea to replace the dryer while I have the system open??

Just bought an ac delco replacement from nightstand.com for $250 + ship I think it was..

While your at it replace dryer, compressor, orfice tube and all of the seals.

I also bought a new AC Delco compressor recently. The best part was it was still made in the USA.

While your at it replace dryer, compressor, orfice tube and all of the seals.

will do!
Thanks for the heads up.
Is there a better orifice/ filter available?? Seems I read that there's 1 w/ better filtering, etc...Y/N?
NE one you know that sells the replacement dryer?
I have a box of seals. You say all... as in condensor, compressor, dryer, etc?? Good idea as they're 25+ yrs old.:D

will do!
Thanks for the heads up.
Is there a better orifice/ filter available?? Seems I read that there's 1 w/ better filtering, etc...Y/N?
NE one you know that sells the replacement dryer?
I have a box of seals. You say all... as in condensor, compressor, dryer, etc?? Good idea as they're 25+ yrs old.:D

I bought a kit some years ago from someone called Savanna auto air. $250 for everything except freon.

Get the green o-rings for R-134a.

I used a white orfice tube but the ford blue is supposed to be better.

And if you go back with R-134 forget what everyone says about charging it to 80% of the R-12 charge. Put some gauges on it and charge it by a PT chart for the outside tmp at the time.

Anytime a compressor goes out, metal shavings travel through out the A/C system. You should always replaced the receiver/dryer, and orifice tube because of this in conjunction with the compressor. Be sure to add the correct amount of oil as well for not only the compressor, but the receiver/dryer as well. Receiver/Dryers have a desiccant material inside of them that is used to absorb any moisture in the A/C system, anytime you have the a/c system 'open' for a long period of time the receiver/dryers will actually absorb moisture from the air and would need replaced. Switching to R134 from R12 usually just involves threading the new connectors onto your old style high/low side connectors. My experience has been though a R12 car never blows as cold using R134.

You can get a new compressor kit from napa that will have all components needed. I also recommend flushing the system with dura II flush.

Going thru this right now as well. Opened the system since I have the whole nose off the car. Motor is out and detailed frame rails and didn't feel like juggling the Compressor around when working. Had a slight leak anyway, always needed to put in a can of Freeze 12 every year.

I am replacing the whole damn system since I have everything apart. Got a compressor from Highways Stars as well as their powder coated black lines and an accumulator/dryer. New condenser from Rock Auto. Hell I would replace the evaporator as well but haven't found a replacement new one anywhere. Already removed it from the car so it can be thoroughly flushed. Have read that you can't do a good flush job on the car. Not too hard to remove since the nose is off the car. Will replace heater core as well while in there. Not leaking but 28 years old so might as well.

Still on the fence on whether to convert to R134a or not. Trying to get some R12. Just be aware if you convert you need to get all the old oil out as it is not compatible with the R134a.

Have a vacuum pump/gauges and flusher on the way to do myself.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...onent-Kit-TEM-New/_/R-ACBTEM18680N_0391965967 thisis the part number forthe AC Kit.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C.../A-C-Evaporator-Core/_/R-TEM288021_0388963667 this is the part number for the evap core.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...Solvent-QT-R134A-R12/_/R-TEM409889_0335906943 Dura II flush

You can flush the system very well on the car using Dura II flush. It evaporates super quickly, in fact you can see it evaporate as you pour it out of the bottle.

Thanks all, for the help!
Called my NAPA guy. The compressor kit is $206.94
A Modine condensor is $96.
Think I'll replace the hoses, too w/ 134 compatible barrier hose.
I have a shop sized flush system that should be gtg.

Thanks all, for the help!
Called my NAPA guy. The compressor kit is $206.94
A Modine condensor is $96.
Think I'll replace the hoses, too w/ 134 compatible barrier hose.
I have a shop sized flush system that should be gtg.
I bet that new condenser will be a multi pass vs the single pass. I just bought a ready air? and it was way nice than stock and fit perfect cheap at $79 too!

I bet that new condenser will be a multi pass vs the single pass. I just bought a ready air? and it was way nice than stock and fit perfect cheap at $79 too!

Steve, where did you get the Ready Air???
I see the complete name is Vista Pro - ready Air. I Googled it, and see that Summit sells them.
Might you have a pt #??

I also will have the motor out, I would love to replace the AC... Is that Napa kit a complete all you need... I see there is that Dura Flush is that needed??

The napa kit is a compressor, orifice tube, accumulator and oil so basically everything you need. Yup that is the dura flush. You also need a flush gun to use it