More boost same times???

vader t

I currently have a John Craig TE-44 on my ride with a CK tranny and a 3200 stall. I bought the turbo just a month or so before i huffed the tranny, otherwise i would have gone bigger. I' ve found that no matter how much more boost, 22-25lbs i can't get any more out of the car. 12.01 @110 is the best? John is going to send me an .82 housing to replace the .63 garrett, any other ideas on how to bust the 11's. All the other mods are in sig. Thanks

lets talk mass airflow and fueling. If you can move X mass air thru the engine, and also deliver the necessary fuel, then you make hp until you go boom.
Put a potato into the exhaust pipe (or small valves in the head, or incorrect a/f, etc) and no amount of boost (or fuel) will help.
IOW, can't have one without the other.
Think about the overall picture in cooperation with your mods. Maybe something overlooked?

what are your 60' times? The single most important thing to get a low et........

if you aren't running slicks (not drag radials, not ET streets) and leaving the line at 10 lbs+ boost....you are leaving A LOT on the table......

that said, your speed (hp) is marginal for 11's..112 mph should be solid, so you need to look at timing, chip, fuel, etc etc and find that extra 20-30 hp

(the .82 housing will slow you down....sorry)

I just noticed you are using alky......get a 108 chip and some race gas and you'll have it made

Originally posted by azgn

(the .82 housing will slow you down....sorry)

Are you sure about that Woody? I know a couple of guys down here that have picked up a solid 2 mph from going from a Garret .63 to a Garret .82 A/R housing with a TE-44 turbo..... The one guy did complain that spool up wasn't as good with his stock D5, but he didn't really care cause he was planning on doing a red stripe converter.....

I'm thinking about trying the PTE .63 A/R housing on my TA-49 cause it has the little .63 Garret and I've heard good results, but who knows...... Every car runs a little different from what I've seen and what might work for me may not work for you and vice versa..... Just the way I see it:)

Originally posted by vader t
I currently have a John Craig TE-44 on my ride with a CK tranny and a 3200 stall. I bought the turbo just a month or so before i huffed the tranny, otherwise i would have gone bigger. I' ve found that no matter how much more boost, 22-25lbs i can't get any more out of the car. 12.01 @110 is the best? John is going to send me an .82 housing to replace the .63 garrett, any other ideas on how to bust the 11's. All the other mods are in sig. Thanks

Without some scan tool data on those runs, We ALL would be guessing, at best, as to what's going on. Could be a ton of different things. One thing's for sure, at only 110 mph, you're not making the hp you should be.
Could be fueling (009's ????), could be a lot of things and at this point it's only guesswork. There's a lot of data needed.

Oh, and BTW, some of us have found that PTE housings performed FAR better than Garrett housings ;)
Sorry, just had to throw that in there for Woody's benefit.

Originally posted by azgn
what are your 60' times? The single most important thing to get a low et........

12.0 is a good ET for 110 mph. I'd say he's in the low, low 1.6's, maybe touching the 1.5's. It looks to me like he's just not making HP. I've gone high 11's at 111 mph on the stock factory turbo at 21 lbs. Tuning could be the issue here. He could be running too lean, too fat, false knock, etc.....

How tall are your tires? With a loose converter and Nitto 275/50's (25.5" tall), 110 mph might be 5700 RPM so no matter how much HP you make, you won't go any faster.

#1 Switch to 28" tall tires.
#2 lock the converter if you can
#3 Switch to a chip with more timing

Do all three and you should run 11's easily.

UNGN has a good point. I was running 28" ET Drags and locking the converter when I ran the 11.90's.

Also, you may have weak valve spriings keeping it from breathing especially if they are the originals.

first off...I gotta sugestion take the $ your gonna pay for the housing and put it toward DIRECT-SCAN

some of us (alot actually ) have found garret housings much better and thats from people who have run both

Originally posted by REDS HOT AIR

some of us (alot actually ) have found garret housings much better and thats from people who have run both

I'll assume that little "jab" was for my benefit ;)

and just add that even I have tried them "all".

people have different experiences

mine along with several others I've talked to on this board have tried em and stuck with garrett

you gave your oppinion I gave mine

Im going turbonetics housing now :D

Trent,

Let me know next time your out at the track and will get it handled! For the rest of you, on et streets i'm seeing 1.7's with a launch of 6-7 lbs of squeeze. My ride is running out of steam at the track with 26" tires. I've been using Red's 108 chip, with a forced lock up on a 10.5 convertor with 3100 stall. My ride is a fully optioned t roof, so keep that in mind hp vs. lbs.

Also, i've just started using turbo link, everything seems to be in line except the TPS is off just a tick. I also have been using 42lbs of fuel pressure at idle? Any thoughts?

Just 2 more cents

One thing I've noticed is how important a chip is to these cars, and that goes hand in hand with timing. I can literelly "feel" the difference on my extender chip by bumping up the timing 4 degrees and leaving the boost alone. That being said, with the proper octane of course. - BB