MIgration??

Its a (D)istributed (D)enial (O)f (S)ervice attack. When someone controls a large botnet and basically in a nutshell uses all the bots in their network to demand multiple requests from the server. It overloads it and basically takes the server offline. In the years we have owned this server, its never been an issue for us. I dont even know anyone in the Buick community that I would even suspect of having control over a botnet of that size. At one point, 400 machines were hammering the server.

You cant check IPs through the forum software for this kind of attack and with this new hosting arrangement, I dont have near the access I did at one point.

Testing

Oh, Geez, it took my post here, but wont let me post in the Lounge. Says I have to be logged in, even though I am.

Looks like I'm going to have to run Chrome again for a while. There's all kinds of weird stuff going here running IE9. Missing posts, not logged in errors even though I am, etc.
I had to go over to Chrome to make my post in the Lounge.

I suggest clearing your cookies and your cache. We're on our 3rd server in a week.

[quote="JayC, (D)istributed (D)enial (O)f (S)ervice attack. [/quote]

Is that a modern version of the old 'Ping Of Death'?

"JayC, (D)istributed (D)enial (O)f (S)ervice attack.

Is that a modern version of the old 'Ping Of Death'?[/quote]

More or less... its a serious attack. Its how theyve brought down Whitehouse.gov, etc

I hope you find out what is going on Jay...it is driving me nuts !! Just took 9 seconds to load this page...

Bryan

I hope you find out what is going on Jay...it is driving me nuts !! Just took 9 seconds to load this page...

Bryan

I can tell you why that is

We dont use the built in search function here. We use an addon thats much more efficient than the built in search engine. Well, as youve probably noticed, the search engine hasnt been working. Ive been hounding our new hosting guy to get it online and he hasnt done it so Ive flipped the server back to "built in search mode" and now Im having to rebuild the search index so the forum is going through each post and indexing it which will MAJORLY slow things down until it finishes. There are ~2.8 million posts here. Its been running almost an hour and only done 750k.

Ill have to do this again once the super duper search stuff is installed but at least until then we'll have SOMETHING.

EDIT - 10:00.. up to 900K.. gonna take a while but the search engine is working again.. it just wont have full content till this is done.

I can tell you why that is

We dont use the built in search function here. We use an addon thats much more efficient than the built in search engine. Well, as youve probably noticed, the search engine hasnt been working. Ive been hounding our new hosting guy to get it online and he hasnt done it so Ive flipped the server back to "built in search mode" and now Im having to rebuild the search index so the forum is going through each post and indexing it which will MAJORLY slow things down until it finishes. There are ~2.8 million posts here. Its been running almost an hour and only done 750k.

Ill have to do this again once the super duper search stuff is installed but at least until then we'll have SOMETHING.

WOW, that really sucks !!

The new hosting company doesn't want to do what you want done??? I hate that you are having to do all of the extra work...I will stop bitching now...

Bryan

WOW, that really sucks !!

The new hosting company doesn't want to do what you want done??? I hate that you are having to do all of the extra work...I will stop bitching now...

Bryan

You have no idea what Ive gone through with these people since last week. I hope in the end its all worth it. We contemplated switching back to our old server and just pulling the plug on this earlier tonight.

Right now this site is the only one of ours even up. T6P may be.. I havent checked. My cycling website has been down literally all day.

DAMN !!!!!!

Like I said, i will stop bitching now. I need to get to work on studying for my CCNA stuff anyway.

Bryan

wow this stuff is alot more complicated than i thought. I do server room ac repairs from an 8x10 to well an entire goverment bldg. dont ever know what all them racks are thinking.

DAMN !!!!!!

Like I said, i will stop bitching now. I need to get to work on studying for my CCNA stuff anyway.

Bryan

I took a CCNA prep course about 4 years ago.. At this point in my life, Ill never take the CCNA exam. The instructor was like "Well, you need to read this 900 page book cover to cover at least twice and plan to spend a solid month studying." I dont know anyone who has time for that. The course did teach me a lot tho.. I didnt find the routers particularly difficult to work with but the subnetting part was quite helpful. Its a shame you cant use subnet calculators while taking the CCNA but I guess they want you to be able to do it by hand. Im sure everyone carries paper with them to go all binary and stuff.

I took a CCNA prep course about 4 years ago.. At this point in my life, Ill never take the CCNA exam. The instructor was like "Well, you need to read this 900 page book cover to cover at least twice and plan to spend a solid month studying." I dont know anyone who has time for that. The course did teach me a lot tho.. I didnt find the routers particularly difficult to work with but the subnetting part was quite helpful. Its a shame you cant use subnet calculators while taking the CCNA but I guess they want you to be able to do it by hand. Im sure everyone carries paper with them to go all binary and stuff.

This guy makes the subnetting easy to understand. He is pretty good in front of a camera. I want to get into the security side of the routers...

Bryan

This guy makes the subnetting easy to understand. He is pretty good in front of a camera. I want to get into the security side of the routers...

Bryan

If I was looking to make a move, storage is where the money is. Being linux proficient is also quite a sought after skill these days.

Until now I couldn't get on the board. I started trying at 2320 and just got on so far. Is this because of the attacks Jay?

The search function is back but it doesn't work a nice as the add-on one you had. Thanks for all the work you are going through for this Jay.