Maximum Stage II Horsepower

Big Stu said:
Nice heads! Those yours or what? :)

These are not mine, I went a little bigger to kill some torque due to that small tire I am using. ;)

Are those the same type heads that John and Marka Gallina had on their car. If believe if was a small cubic inch engine?

1dmbth said:
Are those the same type heads that John and Marka Gallina had on their car. If believe if was a small cubic inch engine?

Yep, engine size was 206 cu. in. That motor would turn some serious rpm. :)

heads

John. i give a pair of heads with ports like those to kendall, some sprint car engines used same heads, :)

I almost bought those off of Kendall but I did not want to do custom headers and intake. I wonder what a maxed out set would flow?
The Stage 2 Normal Castings seems to max out about 350CFM.

John, i have a pair of iron stage heads the intake ports are same size as my alum, stage heads but the exhaust ports are a hundred thousands smaller in dia, schmitts racing of indy ported these heads for a n/a drag engine, i got them with two old stage engines few years ago, they are not worth nothing , so some day i may put them on my engine just to see how they perform. :)

Does anyone know what a set of heads probably flow on a NHRA 500ci Pro Stock Engine. They continue to make more and more power every year with same cubic inches. Quite Impressive.

odell4o8 said:
John, i have a pair of iron stage heads the intake ports are same size as my alum, stage heads but the exhaust ports are a hundred thousands smaller in dia, schmitts racing of indy ported these heads for a n/a drag engine, i got them with two old stage engines few years ago, they are not worth nothing , so some day i may put them on my engine just to see how they perform. :)

OC,

I am pretty sure Duttweiler made over 1500HP on Ron Luman's Motor with Iron Heads. Kenny Stage they work fine you just cant fix the iron heads if you really hurt them. I had about $3000 into the CNC and Finish work on my heads.
If they blew up with the Irons I would screwed for the most part.

sII

SPEEDSTAR said:
Need a set of beefy Titainium $$$$$$ rods, maybe even girdle the block , fill with hardblock, run a mag , I can see it now ..... Buick V6 terror in top fuel. of course with a weight break, but we know how this would end ,sanctioning body would bend to the old school guys and it would go down like our earlier hero Buddy Ingersol, oh well , nice thought!.............2200 hp ,would that run with todays Pro Stocks?

WERD

Goodole boy syndrome will never change. Everywhere you go with the six someones brothers cousins uncle has a montecarlo with a v8 that will smoke you. Girdle the stage motor sounds like a plan for alot more power. Just hit it & quit it. Dont expect to much longevity. :cool:

most engines break when they are pushed past their limits it doesnt make any difference what kind or who build it, :)

John Wilde said:
OC,

I am pretty sure Duttweiler made over 1500HP on Ron Luman's Motor with Iron Heads. Kenny Stage they work fine you just cant fix the iron heads if you really hurt them. I had about $3000 into the CNC and Finish work on my heads.
If they blew up with the Irons I would screwed for the most part.

Those are nice heads too. ;) :D

Also what kind of power was Duttweiler making with the engine that was in the Olds when he ran a 6.89@204. I don't know the weight of that car but I am assuming 2400-2500lbs.

1dmbth said:
Also what kind of power was Duttweiler making with the engine that was in the Olds when he ran a 6.89@204. I don't know the weight of that car but I am assuming 2400-2500lbs.

Well, I want to say it was the same one he had in the red car when he went 7.29@180. I have a turbo magazine issue from 99' with kenny's red car in it along with a full write up. In the article kenny says " I have a new engine like nothing anyone has seen before" and I suppose that is the one that eventually made it's way to the olds body. I'm sure it made a minimum of 1500hp maybe more depending on what turbos he used. I would say 1500 is a safe guess for the one in the oldsmobile. BBAT's minimum weight was 2300 or something really light like that, so you know it was a rocket. :)

The block in the Olds was a rare stage 2 block "olds style" with exposed main caps like a SBC. It used different headers and single plenuem intake.
I must be getting old because I don't remember if he ran the liquid intercooler with the 6 or not.

John Wilde said:
The block in the Olds was a rare stage 2 block "olds style" with exposed main caps like a SBC. It used different headers and single plenuem intake.
I must be getting old because I don't remember if he ran the liquid intercooler with the 6 or not.

Not at first he didn't use the liquid. I remember seeing pics of the stage 2 in the olds, and it was definitly an air to air. Pretty impressive. :)

when duttweiler had the little olds at bristol few years ago he as matching racing connleys camaro, someone said the olds which looked like a pro stocker weighed 2150 lbs NHRA prostockers must weight 2350 with driver according to the rule book, i looked at kd car but i dont remember whick innercooler he was running, nice car, :)

John Wilde said:
Duttweiler has dynoed over 1600HP on a real dyno and gas.
I am sure over 1700 would be possible on alcky.
Hello John ;) When you say 1600 are you speaking of flywheel horsepower right? :confused: I have the 91 turbo from Larwrence Conelys "Tweaked" going in my stage 2 right now. I believe Chris said it would probably dyno on a mustang dyno with the 400 tranny at a safe 1000 rwhp. Thats without the awsome intake they make for now. So what do you think and is Duttweiler's rwhp? Thanks :D

Quint said:
Hello John ;) When you say 1600 are you speaking of flywheel horsepower right? :confused: I have the 91 turbo from Larwrence Conelys "Tweaked" going in my stage 2 right now. I believe Chris said it would probably dyno on a mustang dyno with the 400 tranny at a safe 1000 rwhp. Thats without the awsome intake they make for now. So what do you think and is Duttweiler's rwhp? Thanks :D

A rule of thumb for estimating is 18% drive train loss with an auto.
Kenny had a Liberty 5 Speed with Clutch that I am sure there is much less maybe less than half. I would say that when Kenny was going 6.8s at around 2300lbs he was making a little more than 1400 to the wheels!