Maximum Stage II Horsepower

1dmbth

What would be the maximum horsepower a properly prepared Stage II could make?

Also people always want better flowing heads, why have there not been any aftermarket manufactuers make a head comparable to Stage II head. I don't know but with cylinder head technology continuing to improve I figure some improvments could be made.

Well thats true, but they don't make them any more and cylinder head technology continues to improve. They make heads that don't flow as good.

Duttweiler has dynoed over 1600HP on a real dyno and gas.
I am sure over 1700 would be possible on alcky.

1dmbth said:
Well thats true, but they don't make them any more and cylinder head technology continues to improve. They make heads that don't flow as good.

If I am understanding you right you are referring to the S2 heads. They are available on GMpartsdirect.com still or at least it appears so. I have a few sets and 1 new set maybe someday I'll use.

The aftermarket stock style heads are being improved and have been for years.

Nicely ported Stage II heads are plentiful and fairly inexpensive. The problem is, that they require a unique intake manifold, exhaust headers, cam, rocker arms, valve covers.....damn near everything is different from the stock configuration. They flow huge amounts of air.

GN1's and TA's require a lot less hassle to put together a great combo.

1dmbth said:
What would be the maximum horsepower a properly prepared Stage II could make?

Also people always want better flowing heads, why have there not been any aftermarket manufactuers make a head comparable to Stage II head. I don't know but with cylinder head technology continuing to improve I figure some improvments could be made.

I'd bet with killer heads , that 1600++ is possible. Now, most guys don't have anywhere near a chassis to make use of that kind of power, but it is possible. I'd like to see someone run a stage motor on nitromethane, now that would be an awesome thing. :eek: :D

Big Stu said:
I'd bet with killer heads , that 1600++ is possible. Now, most guys don't have anywhere near a chassis to make use of that kind of power, but it is possible. I'd like to see someone run a stage motor on nitromethane, now that would be an awesome thing. :eek: :D

Are you going to try??? :eek:

John Wilde said:
Are you going to try??? :eek:

There are plenty of people that do the salt flats thing who use nitro and go really fast. I have thought about a small mix at first but would probably just blow things up. I feel like I have an edge though with actually knowing someone who uses nitro on a regular basis and can provide the ins and outs of using it properly. Really just a pipe dream, but it would make ungodly power though, my friend chuck seems to think 2200+ is possible with a stage motor. Who knows until it really gets tried, don't really want to use my stuff and trash it all. :D

Running straight alky would be killer for a strip only car. You wouldnt even need an intercooler.

Duttweiler is really good with this on the import stuff.
I am wondering who will step up and give it a try???

I think my engine makes almost 1600 at the FW on gasoline using a HP calculator but it could be more due to the poor aerodynamics. I dont think it is a matter of durability, you just run out of displacement.
would be interested in alcohol but just too much of a hassle for me since I dont get to the track much, alot of fuel system maintenance.

Bill and Stu,

I would have to think that 2100 to 2200HP would be easy to achieve.
Someone should test the durability of the TA Block with extreme alcky set up.
I would imagine a super set of rods would need to be built for the application.
I don't know if the off the self olivers would be up to it. With the a high compression alcky motor you could also spool some big turbos with an auto.

Need a set of beefy Titainium $$$$$$ rods, maybe even girdle the block , fill with hardblock, run a mag , I can see it now ..... Buick V6 terror in top fuel. of course with a weight break, but we know how this would end ,sanctioning body would bend to the old school guys and it would go down like our earlier hero Buddy Ingersol, oh well , nice thought!.............2200 hp ,would that run with todays Pro Stocks?

SPEEDSTAR said:
Need a set of beefy Titainium $$$$$$ rods, maybe even girdle the block , fill with hardblock, run a mag , I can see it now ..... Buick V6 terror in top fuel. of course with a weight break, but we know how this would end ,sanctioning body would bend to the old school guys and it would go down like our earlier hero Buddy Ingersol, oh well , nice thought!.............2200 hp ,would that run with todays Pro Stocks?

Please don't laugh at me I almost pick up a mag a year or two ago for my twin turbo motor. There are a couple twin turbo motors that turbo people have worked on using this set up!

It would be really cool to see someone hit 2000hp with the Buick V6. In the initial press release for TA block it says "estimates between 2000 and 3000 HP". I guess we won't know until someone tries it. I wish I had the funds.

1dmbth said:
It would be really cool to see someone hit 2000hp with the Buick V6. In the initial press release for TA block it says "estimates between 2000 and 3000 HP". I guess we won't know until someone tries it. I wish I had the funds.

I don't doubt that the block can handle the hp. I think the hang-up here is the available heads out there won't flow that much air to get the job done.

I have seen some square port indy heads tha should be able to do the trick.

Attachments

• V6_Indy_Head.jpg
    V6_Indy_Head.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 735