Looking to buy first handgun

Casey Jensen

Thinking about a ruger AR9, any thoughts? Also considering a S&W m&p 9mm. Not wanting to spend over $600. Thought about a .40 cal but my brother already has a 9mm and thought we could split cost on quantity ammo.

Is this to carry or keep at home? What is the plan?

At home full frame is fine...if you're going to be carrying... you need to go with something smaller...

FNX9 is a great gun and under $600. double stack lighter than a glock and breaks down like a sig sauer. this is my next purchase with laser and light on the rail.
I use the glock 26 as a concealed carry/ off duty weapon.
upload_2014-1-9_21-22-23.jpeg

a buddy of mine has both the m&P 9 and the FNX9 prefers the FNX feels better and shoots better. both in the same price range also.

Is this to carry or keep at home? What is the plan?

At home full frame is fine...if you're going to be carrying... you need to go with something smaller...

Its just to have at home, not a conceal and carry.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I also like the idea of the rail mount in case I want to add a laser sight or light.

Go to a local gunshow, look around, pick up every gun and you will feel which fits your hand. Once you find the make/model, start shopping.

Fwiw, I learned a lot about handguns from reading, and at shows. I still don't know much, but a lot more than I used to.

i love my springfield xd 40sc on duty it have a g23 I just like the sa b/c im lefty and like the dual mag release and it fits me nice

Go to a local gunshow, look around, pick up every gun and you will feel which fits your hand. Once you find the make/model, start shopping.

Fwiw, I learned a lot about handguns from reading, and at shows. I still don't know much, but a lot more than I used to.

X10000!!!
The pistol must fit you and feel like an extension of your hand in order to be effective. I will never buy another pistol that doesn't fit just because everyone else has one.

9mm will do the trick for sure.

Don't want to hijack this thread but, I am purchasing one for my wife. We have looked at the Bursa Thunder .380 auto. It is small and my wife like the feel and weight of the gun. It is going to be eventually for her to conceal and carry. Any pros or cons? Like someone already stated it fits my wife's hand very well and feels comfortable.

Walther's new PPX is a great gun at an entry level price $400(or less) fwiw

Don't want to hijack this thread but, I am purchasing one for my wife. We have looked at the Bursa Thunder .380 auto. It is small and my wife like the feel and weight of the gun. It is going to be eventually for her to conceal and carry. Any pros or cons? Like someone already stated it fits my wife's hand very well and feels comfortable.
Wife has the Thunder 9 and loves it, I would advise that she use a revolver though. In a crisis situation, even the best trained people screw up, a revolver is pretty much foolproof for anyone. I've been teaching both beginner and advanced shooters for over 30 years and even seasoned shooters can be rattled. Airiweight .357 or .38 Sp +P will do what needs to be done.

i love my springfield xd 40sc on duty it have a g23 I just like the sa b/c im lefty and like the dual mag release and it fits me nice

Close to what we ended up with, Springfield XDM and Glock 17 both in 9mm. They were ~$550 each with 8.25% tax...

I had a Hi-Point for a few weeks they get a lot of bad mouthing and negativity but really work well. Cheap and fun ,mine out shot and was more reliable than my sons Bersa with hollow points. I traded it for a small block chevy ,LOL.

I'm passionately in love with rugers...carry a lcr .38 special +p...THE MOST AMAZING ACCURATE SNUBBED NOSE

Also check out shooting ranges in your area. Lots of them have rentals so you can not only test the ergonomics, but also experience with actually shooting it to see if there are any quirks to the gun. I have shot guns that feel good but some other factor was a deal breaker.

Casey do you go to a range regularly? Find a range that will allow you to rent guns and try a lot of them. One near me charges $15/hr range time and you can try all the guns they have for rental. This way, you get a feel for what you like -- this is probably one of the most important aspects in a pistol purchase. We are all built differently with different hand sizes, mechanics, etc...

Thanks everyone for the info. I have been to a few gun shows and done some reading and homework in the last few months. I don't have a lot of gun ranges in my area and the ones within 60 miles of me that I have called and talked with don't have any guns to rent. They said come once in a while and most of the people there shooting will let you shoot their guns a few times. Thanks again and I will keep searching for the right one. Not in any big hurry.

I'm looking as well, and waiting to go to some gun shows to see how some hand guns feels around the grips, the look, and accessories.
Here is one I'm thinking about, It's a Beretta PX4Storm Compact, Comes in 9mm, and in 40S&W. I also still like to see the Beretta 92FS Compact Inox and how the grips feel. Check Beretta web site and then go to the gun show and see if they have some to your liking.
http://www.berettausa.com/pistol/

Okay, I made my choice. I bought a Springfield xd. Went to closest cabelas store and looked at and held a couple glocks, the smith&wesson m&p and the ruger sr9. Personal preference the xd just fit my grip the best. I'm sure there are better out there but for my budget, it's what I liked that fit my grip the best. Been so cold, I haven't been able to shoot it much but for what I have I'm not disappointed. I was looking at a .40 cal originally but ended up with a 9mm for less recoil thinking it's something my wife would be comfortable with shooting too. Just wanted to say thanks for all the info and wanted to let you know what direction I went. FWI, went to cabelas cause I had enough points to pretty much pay for one. Bought the gun, 2 boxes of ammo and small gun safe and it cost me $150 overall. Thanks all again!