Let's hear it from the NOS guys!

Turbo__Tim

One heck of a Tim!
Title says it all! :)

How about addiding to our data base in one thread? I'd like to copy and paste this, and have it handy for future reference. I'd like to hear about:

(1) Performance gains before, and after. Quarter mile times if possible.

(2) Where you inject. (I'm wondering if anyone injects pre-intercooler.)

(3) The size of the shot. Since one of the attractions of propane is tha ability to go a long time between bottle re-fills it would be great if someone could tell us how many runs you could get using a 25-50 shot.

(4) At what point do you feel that running NOS gets risky. Or complicated as far as fueling goes.

(5) what turbo are you using?

I turn to you NOS experts to share your experiences with us. I suspect that you 'rebels' may have a good thing going, and are just hogging it to yourselves...:)

Many thanks in advance!

I'd also like to know this...

Tim,

Good questions. I'd also like to know what kind of boost levels are run with the Nitrous. Also, what kind of timing is used in a NOS application?
Generally, I'm interested in knowing the same stuff that Tim's looking at. How much NOS can be safely run, and what other things do you need to support the HP level?
Thanks!

Steve

I am by no means an expert being that I have only used 1 bottle.

My previous best 13.3@106 with a 26* chip and 22lbs boost (with blue tops and stock converter)

My best with a 35 shot, 20* chip and 18lbs of boost ( 20lbs with the nitrous) and the same setup as above is 12.5@112.

Both were on street tires, through the mufflers on the same night with a 93/110 mix and 60/40 water/alcohol mix. I tried to go without the alcohol but I was getting knock.

The nitrous didn't like the 26* chip. It didn't get anymore knock but slowed down to 110mph. I have yet to try it with a bigger shot b/c I changed to a ME and 42lbs injectors and have not gotten the car to run right since. On that night I made 8 full passes on the juice and used half of a 15lb bottle. It did spool my turbo up so fast off the line I pulled a wastegate bolt out of the turbo so I was unable to better the time. It ran consistantly in the 110-112mph range all night. I have an NX wet kit in the up-pipe.

I would saying tuning is a bit tougher. I don't have an egt guage so that may be a problem.

>Good questions. I'd also like to know what kind of boost levels are run with the Nitrous.

Well FWIW mine is somewhere over 30 psi with the hose on currently :) The 3 bar MAP is pegged in the logfiles. With a 150+ nitrous jet in it. I have 160 lb injectors and a wb O2 FAST system running the show. I've seen upwards of 650 lbs/hr of fuel flow during a pass, lol ;-) ATR double pumper with dual 340's and a -8 feedline. I don't know if anyone else is doing it like this in the Buick world currently, so I'll chime in with some spare change :)

>Also, what kind of timing is used in a NOS application?

Very conservative. Along with C16 fuel. And a well rich a/f ratio. Like say 11.0:1'ish.

Note that I also have the means to measure WOT cylinder pressure during testing too though. I've seen some interesting things with the hose on at high boost :) Easy does it... Otherwise I probably wouldn't be doing this.

JMO and ME.

TurboTR

Looking at time slips from last August, I made 5 passes w/o NOS to find the best tune which was @ 24# of boost using a JL110 chip w/26* of timing. The 1 NOS pass was made at the same setting of the above pass. Remember I was at 5800" altitude so I can run more timing.

W/O NOS W/NOS

60' 2.085 1.921
330' 5.547 5.195
1/8 8.433 7.902
MPH 86.14 91.45
1000 10.877 10.198
1/4 12.954 12.134
MPH 108.11 116.61

This was with a 50 shot for the entire run.
The air was also better with the pass without NOS - lower temp and higher barameter.

I don't spray much, so 1 bottle a year is all I use.

TURBO TIM

Nitrous improvements:
1. Expect to gain between 5-10 mph (depending on shot)
2. Inject the juice a few inches before TB
3. I would not bother spraying anything less than a 50 shot.
4. I feel as long as you have the proper fuel system (good injectors, good fuel pump) you could probably handle up to a 100 shot. Chip timing is very critical need to be conservative. 18-20 degrees of timing.
5. I use a TA62. But you will see improvements on any turbo you run.
:cool:

BuickTR,

How much boost do you run with a 50 shot and pump gas? Is this even possible?
Right now I can run 20-21 psi with 91 octane gas with no knock and the O2's in the low 800's with alky.
If I added a 50 shot using a Thrasher 92 chip, can I still support the same amount of boost with the alky? TIA!

Steve

GNSteve

Your boost will increase 2-3 lbs with a 50 shot. All my runs have always been with C16 fuel. I don't know how much timing your chip has but with nitrous you want it to range from 18-22 degrees of total timing. I would run a little more octane than just 92. :cool:

BuickTR,

OK. So I gather from what you're saying that it's NOT advisable to run nitrous on the street with anything less than race gas. Is this safe to assume? I'm running a 18 degree street chip with alky. I guess to take advantage of nitrous I'll have to run high octane gas, right? Thanks for your input!

Steve

I have run a 50 shot on the street with 93 and alchy on the 18* setting. I sprayed it at about 35 mph and only got and initial knock of 3* with 20lbs of boost. I would think its possible with low timing and conservative boost levels to start out.