Is the racing dead?

Quick question. Is anybody here that is questioning the events or class racing go to 2+ or even 1 race a year?
I will say that I have never been to an east coast event. The rules forbid me. I'm participating in this thread because I hate to see BUICK racing die. It's already practically dead here on the west coast.

I would eventually like to get out to the east coast for an event, if I felt it would be worth it to make the trip. But alas, rules, rules, rules get in the way.
Index racing would really peak my interest.

I'll say it again. You guys are the ones that are saying participation is dwindling with the heads up stuff. Instead of beating your chests, maybe you should be concentrating on ways to turn that around.

Why so if one improves that day and has the best run of his life, or prehaps the temp drops during the day and the air is better and you run 8.19:biggrin::biggrin: only to find out you lost:frown::mad:
A person can easily go out on the track by himself and make a personal best run by accident, jump up and down in celebration and all that. After you've maxed out your rig, what do you have left? Do you just get bored and park the car?
Trying to hit a number adds a certain challenge.

I will say that I have never been to an east coast event. The rules forbid me. I'm participating in this thread because I hate to see BUICK racing die. It's already practically dead here on the west coast.

I would eventually like to get out to the east coast for an event, if I felt it would be worth it to make the trip. But alas, rules, rules, rules get in the way.
Index racing would really peak my interest.

No rules to Quick 16 and it usually pays decent.

Who are the originators, promoters, and/or sponsors for each of the different classes in the Racing Rules and Discussions section of this site? Basically, who are the driving forces behind each of these classes?
TSM I will go with Scott Simpson
TSO In it current form Chris Lyons?
TSA Richard Clark
THS Kip?
TSL Cal?
TSR Scot W.
This is how I remember it, if I am wrong someone post up
The only Vendor there is Cal and if we are going to be fair to him he was way more racer and way less vendor when he got involved with classes and rules. While there is no denieing that it has helped his business I do not believe there was any foul ply there. The vendors have had little or no say in rule making except one GSCA favored vendor that got his way more often than not at the expense of their class racing. This is where classes like TSL came from, people that could not or would not race thei GSCA rules. Why do you see the same guys? Because some guys quit for one reason or another and the guys who win are commited to the point of making it a job. If you want to win that is what it takes.
Mike
I fixed it for ya Mike! ;)

A person can easily go out on the track by himself and make a personal best run by accident, jump up and down in celebration and all that. After you've maxed out your rig, what do you have left? Do you just get bored and park the car?
Trying to hit a number adds a certain challenge.

I have never maxed out my rig you can always go faster seems more fun to me than hitting a number.
Plus I was testing at the Piedmont buick event and I did not get the feeling that Buick guys minded me being there.

Donnie, Not picking on you just making a point here.

Everyone should ask themselves how we are promoting/helping the Buick events. Have you been to every Buick event? Have you sponsored any events? Have you made money on any Buick owners here? If so, why not give something back? That is what I have to ask of every person in the Buick group. It's easy to sit on the sideline and complain and not help. It's not easy to get out, support, and give back to the hobby.

I had to quote this part of this post. Hits the nail on the head. I think everyone should look at themselves and ask what they can do to make things better, instead of complaining about car counts, rules, payouts, vendor participation etc. If you want to see something change, then get involved. The guys running these events and classes would very much appreciate the help I'm sure. Beware though, it can be a time consuming and thankless job. :cool:

I've been to the last two reynolds events and had a blast even if I had my 13 sec backup car up against 9's in THS or if I broke after just one qualifying pass with my THS car. I even sponsored $100 and my buddy JD won it, it must be a conspiracy lol. Anyone not going to the events doesn't know what they are missing. If you are wrenching on your Buick in the pits, out of the blue, a fellow Buick guy will walk over and lend a hand happily. It's a pretty neat experience and you only go around once in life.

I'd probably be the slowest in a quick 16 field. I'd like to have a fighting chance here guys.

That's the mentality I was speaking of...

I raced TSO in a few events and got beat.. oh well I had fun and supported the event. I didn't have a fighting chance against them but hey, I gave em hell.

The ones that have posted about how much fun class racing is, is just fine. I can appreciate class racing. I just know I can't afford it.
The thing that needs to be figured out is why there is an attrition of racers going on. Do you see new blood coming in, or has the event stalled in that regard? Is it only the same old faces event after event?

That's the mentality I was speaking of...

I raced TSO in a few events and got beat.. oh well I had fun and supported the event. I didn't have a fighting chance against them but hey, I gave em hell.
Yeah. I'm real eager to travel to the east coast to end up being one second off the quick 16 field. Come on, guys.

So, is this how it is? You suggest different forms of racing to try and bring up some interest, and you get knocked down by a few loud class racers that claim bracket and index racing is for sissies?

Good luck with that method of bringing new blood in, guys. I'm starting to see why it's dying on you guys.

So, is this how it is? You suggest different forms of racing to try and bring up some interest, and you get knocked down by a few loud class racers that claim bracket and index racing is for sissies?

Good luck with that method of bringing new blood in, guys. I'm starting to see why it's dying on you guys.

At our first event I think we had, what 4 index classes... This year 3 or 4 was scheduled but only had enough for 2 classes.

The guys that ran them had a blast it was obvious.

Was wide to open to anything. I don't know what more we could have offered to do?

If you fellas ever get a classy annual BUICK event going that features some index racing, please do me a favor and let me know. I don't know how many events you guys have going, and I can only pick one a year. Please direct me to a reputable event and give me a fair amount of lead time to plan.

I didn't mention classy to cut down anyone's event. I would like to go to one that is known for a good racer and spectator gathering is what I'm trying to get at.

Come on now. If you're hoping to have people want to come to your event, you're going to have to do some selling here. Sell me 'THE EVENT'.
I'm starting to see problem two.

Come on now. If you're hoping to have people want to come to your event, you're going to have to do some selling here. Sell me 'THE EVENT'.
I'm starting to see problem two.

Problem TWO is ur being too impatient.... Our event is still in the planning stages. We cannot just throw you something out right away without getting sponsors, vendors, track rental agreement, special guests, etc... Give us some time and you will be sold. ESPECIALLY since we will have Index racing.

Problem TWO is ur being too impatient.... Our event is still in the planning stages. We cannot just throw you something out right away without getting sponsors, vendors, track rental agreement, special guests, etc... Give us some time and you will be sold. ESPECIALLY since we will have Index racing.
Oh. I thought this was a 3rd annual event. So there isn't a date set yet, but it will be next year?
What is the name of the event? Is there a location set yet?