Insurance Rate Increase for "Unsafe Driving" Ticket?

BASS

Ok, I got a 4 point speeding ticket the other day, and I know that when I go to reduce the ticket, the prosecutor will ammend it to either a reduced 2-point speeding/careless driving ticket OR a 0 point "unsafe driving" ticket. I currently have 0 points on my license, and I havent gotten any moving violation tickets in over 5 years. I also know that in NJ, you can only do the "unsafe driving" ammended ticket twice in 5 years ( three or more times within that 5 year period, it automatically turns into a 4 point ticket!).

My question is this: I would gladly take the "unsafe driving" ticket and get the 0 points (but pay the heftier fine for this ticket), but I heard that insurance companies do not differentiate between regular moving violation tickets (which carry points) or the "unsafe driving" ticket (which carries 0 points) when assessing the insurance bill! If that is the case, then I would take the reduced 2-point ticket (i.e. careless driving ticket) since that ticket will be cheaper than the "unsafe driving" ticket, and that my insurance will go up regardless! Anyone have any experience with this???:confused:

Right, I think it's all about the points on your record when it comes to that.

Hell here in St louis I can get a 12 point ticket reduced to a parking ticket with the same fine with a phone call. Its all about the money here, they could care less about assessing points just pay the fine.

Bryan

Ok, I got a 4 point speeding ticket the other day, and I know that when I go to reduce the ticket, the prosecutor will ammend it to either a reduced 2-point speeding/careless driving ticket OR a 0 point "unsafe driving" ticket. I currently have 0 points on my license, and I havent gotten any moving violation tickets in over 5 years. I also know that in NJ, you can only do the "unsafe driving" ammended ticket twice in 5 years ( three or more times within that 5 year period, it automatically turns into a 4 point ticket!).

My question is this: I would gladly take the "unsafe driving" ticket and get the 0 points (but pay the heftier fine for this ticket), but I heard that insurance companies do not differentiate between regular moving violation tickets (which carry points) or the "unsafe driving" ticket (which carries 0 points) when assessing the insurance bill! If that is the case, then I would take the reduced 2-point ticket (i.e. careless driving ticket) since that ticket will be cheaper than the "unsafe driving" ticket, and that my insurance will go up regardless! Anyone have any experience with this???:confused:

You cant use the "Unsafe operation of a MV" (39:4-97.2) more than two times in four years. The first time it's $430 including the surcharge. The second time it's $530 including the surcharge.

Long time ago, I think in 2005, the "Unsafe operation" was $180. The state realized that they were loosing out on the insurance surcharge money ($250 per point for three years). So a $250 "temporary" surcharge was affixed to the "Unsafe operation" Well that surcharge has now become the norm for the state. Then the state told judges/prosecutors that speeding tickets can not be amended to anything but the "Unsafe operation"

Bass - check your PM

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Billy, I believe that you get knapped with that additional surcharge (for 3 years) once you hit a minimum of 6 points, which I wouldnt since I have 0 points right now. Also, I thought that it was within a 5 year period (not 4 year) you cannot use the "Unsafe Operation" amendment more than twice. If you try this for a third time, then they will stick you with that ticket along with it being 4 points (instead of 0), (I know this because thats what exactly happened to me in 2005 lol). So, it looks like I can still amend this speeding ticket to the Unsafe Operation ticket as of now, but if its $430, thats pretty hefty!!...