How To Lower Intake Temps Without Alky

thanks now fixs the quotes. i got something coming for you. its better then a 30 pack

thanks now fixs the quotes. i got something coming for you. its better then a 30 pack
Edited quite a few Brent so I hope I get at least a keg of whiskey now. (101 proof):p If not at least a very hot 20 YO chicas that likes to get pumped several times a day and I aint thinking milk here.:eek:

I really think the best way to reduce the intake temps is to reduce the total amount of boost needed. I think a hot air could really stand to have much much higher compression to help make the power . Then one could use less boost. but still move x amount of air to make x amount of HP.

The added compression will also add low end torque to help get past any lag .

Charlie I still disagree that a gutted intake causes lag .....

how do you find out how much flow a motor needs? can someone tell me how to figure this out?

Bison can help you with that. Send him a PM.

Check with Comp turbo out here in CA. I know they have some up on their website.

I really think the best way to reduce the intake temps is to reduce the total amount of boost needed. I think a hot air could really stand to have much much higher compression to help make the power . Then one good use less boost but still move x amount of air to make x amount of HP.

I am in agreement with SloGN.
For the purpose of THIS discussion, the biggest “bang for the buck” in temp reduction is to decrease boost.

I would also like to share my point of view on the intake volume. :p
While a larger intake volume creates lag, that part of the "lag equation" is miniscule.
The volume is a very important variable of the intake design. Too much is just as bad as too little.
Based on my research, the intake volume goal is 1 - 1.4 times the displacement volume.
Based on engineering calculations and testing, reduced volume (to a point) has significant negative effect on VE potential.

Torque, which is a function of pressure, is affected by CR. (No revelation I know, but think about it for a second. o_O )
Increased CR has lots of positive impacts, if you can stay out of detonation.

................. :p
…………………. :eek::D

The compressor maps are available in a google search. The smaller companies dont have maps for their compressor wheels. It's too expensive to have them tested and the mass flow changes with each cover. I dont trust certain maps out either. Way too much money to test all of them. The t04r/to4z is a great readily available compressor that spends most of it's time in the good part of the map on a 220-270ci engine that is running 25-30psi@sea level. Running a larger than necessary compressor can cause operation to the left of the surge line. It's not easy to get more than 80% efficiency out of a compressor.

Lower pressure ratio means less heating but don't be fooled into thinking it won't detonate. If the cylinder is getting filled nearly completely detonation is more likely to occur with the same timing. Reducing pressure drop at the inlet, runnjng in better ambient conditions, reducing pressure drop across the charge air cooler, increasing charge air cooler surface area, using better cooling like ice water instead of air, reducing compressor inlet temperature, running correct compressor housing, correct compressor, higher CR, correct cam and cam timing can all reduce charge air temps. Some indirectly. Getting a higher mass in the cylinder on the intake stroke across as much rpm span as possible is more important than anything when trying to make power. You have trade offs. Running the engine at a higher rpm can increase mass flow a lot without adding manifold pressure. Getting a combo that does that is easier said than done.

Here is one of the maps Bison is refering to.

t04z_comp_e.jpg

Boost231 said:
^ what kind of turbo would that be?

Anything with a T04r/t04z compressor in the big comp housing. Aka 6776, 67gtq/hpq. The map doesnt apply to small compressor covers.

I really think the best way to reduce the intake temps is to reduce the total amount of boost needed. I think a hot air could really stand to have much much higher compression to help make the power . Then one could use less boost. but still move x amount of air to make x amount of HP.

a year or so back, i posted a question about building a 4.1 for my 84 T Type with about 10:1 compression that used the later heads like the ones used on the TTA with a reverse dome piston that mirrors the chamber shape to be run on E85.. the general consensus was that i was crazy for wanting to try such a crazy thing. a few people didn't know what a reverse dome piston was, but there was a discussion about them and what quench is and that kind of thing.

so maybe i wasn't crazy?