How fast are WRX STi and EVOs?

Stock turbo cars don't trap very high. Stock STi's will trap 101-104. Big turbo's fix that problem. ;)

Nick

Even my friend's regular WRX isn't too shabby at keeping up with the Buick. I've never raced either car (STI/EVO) from a dig but have been smoked by an STI on the highway. My favorite thing about the Subarus is that they are fun tuner cars yet still practical, I.E. it wouldn't have to be locked away for the winter like my Buick.

I've had five WRX platforms, and still have two right now. They are OK fun, no torque. Had a stock block WRX go 126 @ 11.2 untill the trans and con-rod broke at once. Made a much better engine and have a "crash-box"

One bad little ride coming our way is the 135 BMW. That is the new "one" series with a twin turbo/direct injection 3.5lt. Big torque, and a little RWD car...starting around 35K. Should whoop on the new v8 M3 with an exhaust and a chip. Any thoughts?

nasioc is definatly the most informative. I generally spend most of my time on wrxfanatics.com.

My car's have always made more torque than hp. Guess it is the 2.5 litre's extra size.

The 135 is going to be sneaking up on a lot of people.

Nick

I dont really know anything about the STI and the EVO but I just hired a guy that works on the Mitsubishis and he tunes them and he has showed me some of them that he has done. Let me just say that respect is something I have for them now.
He has an Eclipse that has 140K on it and the motor is stock eccept for cams and of course the bolt ons and it is fast. He says that it is moving almost 50 pounds of air so it should be making almost 500 HP. I dont know how fast it is but it feels stronger than my low 11 second 03 was.
They are like anything else though,there are the ones that have a pile of money in them and they run 13s and then theres the ones that have the basics and run low 12s.
HHHMMMMM
Kinda reminds me of the old turbo Buick days.:biggrin:

From what ive experienced most dont run over 115mph in the quarter. A 120+mph TR will beat most of them up pretty bad. They seem to be about a half second slower than the DSM crowd. I raced a couple Talons/Eclipses from a roll with the car in my sig. Air temps were in the 50's. Car would run 130 mph with the current tune at 50 degrees ambient. I let them get on it first and i walked away very fast in 3rd. Not even close. If i ran them from a stop with some M/T DR's or slicks and a little Trackbite it would be at least 5 bus lengths margin of victory at the quarter mark. As far as a non alky nearly stock TR, they would eat you alive. No chance with a car going under 110mph and no DR's.

I trapped 115mph with a blown ringland. It really depends on the car's set up. A well tuned VF39/VF43 (stock STi turbo's) on a 2.5 litre WRX/STi will trap over 110mph.

STi with a turbo back, manual boost controller, bigger top mount intercooler, k&n typhoon intake, walbro pump, and a tune will net over 300awhp and 320awtq on pump. That is good for mid 12's.
Add a hard turbo inlet pipe, tumbler deletes, and 740cc's and race fuel, the VF39 is capable of 336awhp/392awtq without modification. <- that car trapped 116mph.

The EJ257 has been proven capable to over 600awhp on stock internals (not too long lived). 500awhp on daily driven stock ej257's is not too odd. The weakpoint of the ej257 is the ringlands.

Here are some pictures of my ringland gone bad (bad tune & cracked magnus intake manifold). This is what it looked like when I was trapping 115mph and blowing oil out the catch can. :eek:
ring_1.jpg

ring_2.jpg

Nick

If he's working on ur car...fire him asap or u will regret it

I dont really know anything about the STI and the EVO but I just hired a guy that works on the Mitsubishis and he tunes them and he has showed me some of them that he has done. Let me just say that respect is something I have for them now.
He has an Eclipse that has 140K on it and the motor is stock eccept for cams and of course the bolt ons and it is fast. He says that it is moving almost 50 pounds of air so it should be making almost 500 HP. I dont know how fast it is but it feels stronger than my low 11 second 03 was.
They are like anything else though,there are the ones that have a pile of money in them and they run 13s and then theres the ones that have the basics and run low 12s.
HHHMMMMM
Kinda reminds me of the old turbo Buick days.:biggrin:

OMG !!! :eek::eek: If I were u, I'd fire him rt away !!! Pushing 50psi on a 4G63 motor & only making 500 hp is very wrong It seems like he's doesn't know what he's doing. Just so u have it in perspective, my friend has an Eclipse that was tuned by AMS PERFORMANCE (still has stock ECU but with an Apexi) made 331 on pump gas @ 20 psi with stock internals except some cams. We punished & I mean we punished the car on the street so bad the engine is pinging now. He's now gonna buy a fully built short block from them with some more upgrades & more tunning. He wants 400 whp on pump gas & still it's gonna be under 30 psi. Stay away from ur new employee. I'm sure some others will express the same if they know the capabilities of the 4G63. You have been warned & good luck with ur project.

lbs or psi?

1badTT - you're absolutely right on about 50 psi/500 horses. in the 70s Formula 1 racers were pushing between 3-5 bars and making 1200-1400 horses with 4 cylinders.

but did he mean 50 lbs per a unit of time or 50 psi?

I trapped 115mph with a blown ringland. It really depends on the car's set up. A well tuned VF39/VF43 (stock STi turbo's) on a 2.5 litre WRX/STi will trap over 110mph.

STi with a turbo back, manual boost controller, bigger top mount intercooler, k&n typhoon intake, walbro pump, and a tune will net over 300awhp and 320awtq on pump. That is good for mid 12's.
Add a hard turbo inlet pipe, tumbler deletes, and 740cc's and race fuel, the VF39 is capable of 336awhp/392awtq without modification. <- that car trapped 116mph.

The EJ257 has been proven capable to over 600awhp on stock internals (not too long lived). 500awhp on daily driven stock ej257's is not too odd. The weakpoint of the ej257 is the ringlands.

Here are some pictures of my ringland gone bad (bad tune & cracked magnus intake manifold). This is what it looked like when I was trapping 115mph and blowing oil out the catch can. :eek:
ring_1.jpg

ring_2.jpg

Nick
Was their any detonation present when this happened? Usually the pistons will hold up in any of the high performance engines unless they are rattled. The 3800 SII pistons have been to 150mph at 3300 lbs. If i was going to fly on the ej257 id go for rods and pistons early on.

That was a bone stock motor with a GT35R. The previous owner used the car as his track car with a superzilla55. So it was beat on for a while. I knew that it was foked, but I had a few other ej257's lying around so it really didn't matter. I ended up doing a pretty sick build with the new motor though.
blueprinted motor
CP pistons
Pauter rods
Cleveitte HP rod bearings
balanced crank to 10k
Axis stage II valvetrain
1mm stainless valves
Kelford cams
STi shimless buckets

Redline over 8k should be fun too. :biggrin:

Nick