How fast are WRX STi and EVOs?

PsYcHo GN

Member Extraordinaire
I know stock, without any mods, both the Subaru WRX STi and the Mitsubishi EVOs run low 13s, but how fast are they when they mod these cars like we do our TBs? I know they're upgrading turbos, intercoolers, and adding alky and/or NOS spray bar on their intercoolers.

I know they can keep up with the Turbo Buicks, but can most of these cars beat most of the Turbo Buicks that are driving on the street?

really depends how much money they want to dump into them. you can get them in the 9's. most of the ones on the street are not that fast. maybe low 12's high 11's. atleast around here.

Here in chicago we have Ams and i believe they have an EVO in the eights.My nephews evo ran in the tens but he bought the car for 27,000 and put probably put 15,000 into it. One of my friends had an 2005 evo and blew the clutch with 4000 miles on the car. 14 runs back to back at union grove:eek: . I put stage 3 clutch in it for him .I also installed bigger turbo and complete exhaust and boost controller next time out he went in the 11's. I was not there so i did not see it run that. the car felt good but i didnt think it felt that fast

Here in chicago we have Ams and i believe they have an EVO in the eights.

I saw the AMS EVO in action this summer in Nebraska. They Beat Ron Adee's 1000+ HP Twin turbo carbon fiber viper in the 1 mile drags (215.9 mph).

One of my Friends EVO's ran 11.7's@118 in street trim, but since he bought it new and didn't do any of the work himself, admitted he had $60K in it.

He eventually ventilated the block. A year after I said he would, but It's still only a matter of time.

I actually ran a silver one this spring after getting my GN out of winter storage. Wasn't looking for a race but the passenger was REAL cocky and said his buddy had 3k in mods and never lost yada yada yada. Pulled him hard into 3rd gear. Man that was satisfying!! Crappy gas and all. Thank god for alky!!;)

Ken B.

Being a former '05 Evo 8 MR owner, I can chime in on this one.
My MR ran a best of a 12.44 @ 112 on regular radials and 100 octane unleaded.
Mods were:
ACT Street clutch and pressure plate
AMS Cat Back exhaust
AMS Lower IC pipe
AMS Boost controller
AMS K&N Cone filter
Apexi SAFC II with Skunk field harness
Dynoflash ECU flash
Perrin upper intercooler charge hose (Replaces stock SS hard pipe)

Car weighed #3680 with me driving. I disconnected the 1st gear rev limiter and would launch the car at around 5900-6200 depending on track conditions.
Flat foot shift 1st & 2nd
Regular shift 2-3 and flat foot shift 3-4.
Running 25psi. This combo was very easy and would have gone faster with only a couple of more items.
To get into the 11s would have only taken HKS 272 cams, 65# injectors, fuel pump upgrade and a 3" downpipe. That would have been good for mid to high 11's at 115-118 depending on boost levels. The stock MR turbo will support 400 flywheel hp.
I had approximately $2,500.00 in the car including the clutch.
Yes they are very expensive cars to begin with, but they are also alot of fun.
WRXs and STIs are another story. To run mid to low 12s would cost you double what it does in the Evos.
There are guys who have run 11's on stock cams but the cars are very light weight and they drive the stink out of them.
Here is a video of my boy Dave making an easy granny launched 12.50 pass at Edgewater last year.

And here is an engine shot and a side shot when I was done with her.

DSC00408.jpg

DSC00284.jpg

Curt Brown was able to run high 10's with a factory turbo, all be it a highly massaged stocker. His combo was very simple but not cheap.
They are indeed a lot of fun, but can be expensive, just like a Turbo Buick can. I sold my MR just this past July. It was very hard to do, but I was forced too. I do miss the car sometimes. Nothing handles like an Evo for the money. Great car and I would like to buy a new Evo X when they come out, if I could afford one.
Just my O2s worth.

Patrick

A couple of weeks ago I was at NED on a Wednesday. There were plenty of WRXs and STIs and EVOs. I don't recall one running faster than 14s. Many seemed modded. Apparently that crowd is not doing something right. In the past I have seen a STI and an EVO go in the 12s.

How about them Subaru Forester's? They got a nasty little secret... exact same long block as an STi.

I'm setting up my Forester just like a Buick guy would. Turbo, downpipe, exhaust, tune, and Alky. Can't wait to get it all together. Should be good for at least high 12's. And no one will ever see it comin'.

PS: ran a best of 14.7 bone stock (auto trans)

Most of the ones I see at the track run 13+. A lot were 14+. And I go to the track about 5-6 times a year. So I have quite a few run.

Being here in Northern Illinois with AMS and Devo Tuning we have tons of really fast Evo's and Dsm's. Most of these guys dump about 3k in them and run mid to high 12's no problem, but they are generally 2nd gear on cars so if you have DOT's you have no prob. But then you have guys like my friend who do a stroker kit with the GT35 and lay down around 600awhp. :eek:
I will still take him in the GN. :biggrin:

I have yet to see an STI put up a good fight against my Talon so I would primarily look out for the Evo's.

speed = money

speed costs money, and it costs more for import parts. pink 500 cc injectors for a subaru cost almost 500 for the set from joe blow performance shop. 500 for 4 50lb injectors?

labor is always killer on these cars because most guys take their **** in to a shop because its such a pain the ass to work on. to replace the turbo in an sti you need to remove the intercooler, caertain accessories, and a whole host of other junk just to get to it. and thats not even talking about the downpipe. replacing spark plugs on one of those takes a good 2-3 hours because of the tight engine space.

all in all, most people don't have the money to dump into it, so they get an catback and BOV and try to stunt.

UNGN;1672201 One of my Friends EVO's ran 11.7's@118 in street trim said:
admitted he had $60K in it[/SIZE].

He eventually ventilated the block. A year after I said he would, but It's still only a matter of time.

I am calling BS on your friend....My boy in Wichita Kansas Bought a Evo 9 w/5speed tranny...Mods where a turbo back exhuast with aftermarket header, a Cold Air Intake, and he tuned it...oh yea 22 PSI of boost....Ran a 11.9 in the 1/4. All for under $4k

Proof

YouTube - Chino's 11.93 Pass @ WIR

i'll believe a smaller amount. if he had someone do the work for him at some performance shop and has a lot of money in expensive tires and body mods and **** like that. either someone is BSing here, or hes a rich moron.

i'll believe a smaller amount. if he had someone do the work for him at some performance shop and has a lot of money in expensive tires and body mods and **** like that. either someone is BSing here, or hes a rich moron.

$60k plus the car=over 100k after tax...he should of got a Z06 LS7

I am calling BS on your friend....My boy in Wichita Kansas Bought a Evo 9 w/5speed tranny...Mods where a turbo back exhuast with aftermarket header, a Cold Air Intake, and he tuned it...oh yea 22 PSI of boost....Ran a 11.9 in the 1/4. All for under $4k

Proof

YouTube - Chino's 11.93 Pass @ WIR

My Friend honestly had $60K in his car. He paid $36K for it new and spent $25K+ in mods and performance tuning with some guy in Dallas. His wife even took his checkbook away when she found out.

His car ran 11's @ 118 on pump gas with no alcohol. I'm pretty sure you can't run 93 octane on 22 psi of boost so a $4K build up aint going to do what his car did.

My Friend honestly had $60K in his car. He paid $36K for it new and spent $25K+ in mods and performance tuning with some guy in Dallas. His wife even took his checkbook away when she found out.

His car ran 11's @ 118 on pump gas with no alcohol. I'm pretty sure you can't run 93 octane on 22 psi of boost so a $4K build up aint going to do what his car did.

Your friend ran 11.7's@118 and mine ran 11.93 @ 113 with ICP,intake,TBE,21psi for a fraction of the price.

Very true... He ran 116 race gas no Alky. If anyone that is on this board lives in Wichita and goes on the Wichita Racing.com forums knows who I talking about. He can launch with the best of them. He use to have a STI and tore up many drive train parts from his tranny back through his diffs. So he bought an Evo9 and did his bolt-ons plus tune and ran a 11.93. Video says it all there is the proof. No DRs no Slicks he ran them on radials that came with the car. I am pretty sure if he did any internal work on his engine he would be alot faster. But he sold it for his own reasons.

Not to change the subject yet stay on course, what about the SRT-4's? Are they as fast as our beloved Buicks when modded?