Help Needed! No 1-2 shift after my Dad installed a shifter kit.

Thats correct. The transmission originally came out of a Monte Carlo SS. Can you have your dad remove the governor cover and pull the governor out. Its the cover that has four 13mm bolts holding it inside the pan toward the rear of the trans. Post a pic of the governor. Ive got a CZ vb here if you need any comparison pics

this might help

Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for the Pdf file as it really helps us now so you can see what Dad is talking about now.

Dad's here and we are looking at the Pdf file you linked.

He saying that part numbers 331 and 332 on the diagram were the things that were giving him the problem when he accidentally removed them.

Part number 332 is the thing that had gotten a couple of scores on the outside of it when he was putting it back in to the valve body.

He says that the Transgo kit has him put a very small coiled spring about a 1/4" in length between parts 333 and 334.

Dad says he sure that he put parts 331 and 332 in correctly but he will double check it, but he doesnt like the idea of taking it apart again because it's not so easy to get it lined up in the valve body in order to get the rolled pin back into the slot on the side of 332.

Is there a way he can visually inspect it and test it without having to remove it unless it's in wrong.

Also,

Hi Bison,

Dad will check the governor thing out tomorrow and we certainly appreciate your assistance in helping us get this figured out too.

Kirsten,

what did you find?

scoring on the outside of the sleeve should not affect anything.

How does that spring compare to the one you removed from that spot? Perhaps put the original spring back in.

Make sure the roll-pins are going into the proper place, some engage slots in the sleeves, some don't (I'm not sure about that exact one)

Bob

Originally there is no spring in that spot, the spring she is referring to is a spacer. I really don't know the purpose, maybe some here does though.

what did you find?

scoring on the outside of the sleeve should not affect anything.

How does that spring compare to the one you removed from that spot? Perhaps put the original spring back in.

Make sure the roll-pins are going into the proper place, some engage slots in the sleeves, some don't (I'm not sure about that exact one)

Bob

Hi Bob,

Dad has the valve body removed from my car, but he didn't take anything apart just yet. He took it to a transmission repair garage to see if the mechanic could look it over to see if he had inserted the 331, 332, and 333 in to the wrong spots, but the mechanic wouldn't even look at unless he had my car at his shop.

He was going to call a local GM dealership tomorrow who he thinks they might try and help us out.

If Bison or someone could post a high resolution picture of where that rolled pin is suppose to go on 332 he might then try to take it apart to put it it's correct spot.

I attached a copy of the PDF showing numbers 1 through 5 and lines pointing to the 332 bushing in hopes someone can tell us where the rolled pin should line up with and go.

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Kirsten,
Valvebody a.jpg

the dealers don't repair transmissions any more, they just bolt in a "certa", which is a GM remanufactured transmission.

Richard Clark offered to go thru the whole valve body and then test it on his testing machine if you send it to him. It would add a few more days to your work though.

Or you could call him and describe the stuff to him (he works late at his workshop). Send me a conversation if you want his number.

I don't have any hard parts here to look at. Perhaps Bison or one of the other trans guys can help.

Bob

Kirsten's 86' Regal said:
Hi Bob,

Dad has the valve body removed from my car, but he didn't take anything apart just yet. He took it to a transmission repair garage to see if the mechanic could look it over to see if he had inserted the 331, 332, and 333 in to the wrong spots, but the mechanic wouldn't even look at unless he had my car at his shop.

He was going to call a local GM dealership tomorrow who he thinks they might try and help us out.

If Bison or someone could post a high resolution picture of where that rolled pin is suppose to go on 332 he might then try to take it apart to put it it's correct spot.

I attached a copy of the PDF showing numbers 1 through 5 and lines pointing to the 332 bushing in hopes someone can tell us where the rolled pin should line up with and go.

Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Kirsten,

I'll take pics when I get home and post them here.

the dealers don't repair transmissions any more, they just bolt in a "certa", which is a GM remanufactured transmission

Bob

I respectfully disagree. We repair transmissions all the time. A"SRTA" is only an option if it is customer pay or has exceeded cost analysis. 200 4r SRTAs I am betting are long gone. With all the people here and on the net in general fixing this is entirely possible without GM dealer or private tranny guys. :)

the dealers don't repair transmissions any more, they just bolt in a "certa", which is a GM remanufactured transmission.

Richard Clark offered to go thru the whole valve body and then test it on his testing machine if you send it to him. It would add a few more days to your work though.

Or you could call him and describe the stuff to him (he works late at his workshop). Send me a conversation if you want his number.

I don't have any hard parts here to look at. Perhaps Bison or one of the other trans guys can help.

Bob

I'll take pics when I get home and post them here.

Hi Bob & Bison,

I took some pics today of the valve body thingy as Dad didn't have much luck with the GM dealership.

I hope the pics show enough detail of the 1-2 valve openings in hopes that someone can compare them to a correct one.
Also Bob Dad may take you up on contacting the fellow you had mentioned above if we don't have any luck with the pics posted here.
IMG10025.jpg
IMG10027.jpg
IMG10028.jpg

Kirsten,

Originally there is no spring in that spot, the spring she is referring to is a spacer. I really don't know the purpose, maybe some here does though.

Hi 77 Crusher,

Transgo said that the little tiny spring was needed for manually downshifting into first gear.

Dad doesn't think so because the car was already downshifting in to first gear (Lo) before the shifter kit.

Dad is wondering if anybody here had installed this particular Transgo HD2 kit using that spring?

Could that spring be causing the trans not to shift in to second gear?

Dad says that the Transgo support is more like dealing with product sales people and not transmission techs.

Kirsten,

I've used one that's where I got that instruction page from. Never had problems like you are having though, so I doubt that's the problem.

Hi everybody,

Dad has a question about the 3-4 spring for the accumalator.

The transgo instruction has the plunger in the case bore firt and the spring in next, but dad got a copy of a GM book showing the spring in the bore and the plunger last.

Which orientation is correct?

Thanks a bunch,

Kirsten

Hi everybody,

Dad has a question about the 3-4 spring for the accumalator.

The transgo instruction has the plunger in the case bore firt and the spring in next, but dad got a copy of a GM book showing the spring in the bore and the plunger last.

Which orientation is correct?

Thanks a bunch,

Kirsten
Piston first then the spring.

Hi Bison,

We got some pics of the governor part for your interpretation.

Also Dad says that TV Modulator downshift part number 314 didn't have spring number 315 as shown on the Pdf file.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Kirsten,
IMG10030.jpg
IMG10031.jpg
IMG10032.jpg

Hi 77 Crusher,

Transgo said that the little tiny spring was needed for manually downshifting into first gear.

Dad doesn't think so because the car was already downshifting in to first gear (Lo) before the shifter kit.

Dad is wondering if anybody here had installed this particular Transgo HD2 kit using that spring?

Could that spring be causing the trans not to shift in to second gear?

Dad says that the Transgo support is more like dealing with product sales people and not transmission techs.

Kirsten,

The tightly wound Spring/Spacer allows the trans to downshift into 1st at a higher rpm/speed than the stock configuration.
That looks like the correct CZ Governor in the Pics and the small spring is in place. If that Gov spring pops out it'll only shift at WOT/WideOpenThrottle. The hole there can be threaded with an 8-32 Tap and install a Nylon 8-32 Screw to prevent the Spring from popping out.
Pic here >> http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...0-4r-governor-for-higher-shift-points.251547/

As seen here >> http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmission/valvebody.html This is BR code valvebody.
Hi Performance Valvebodies don't use the TV Modulator downshift spring number 315.

Other Trans codes >> http://web.archive.org/web/20070128173316/http://members.aol.com/powerrslid/thm2004r.html
The tightly wound Spring/Spacer allows the trans to downshift into 1st at a higher rpm/speed than the stock configuration.
That looks like the correct CZ Governor in the Pics and the small spring is in place. If that Gov spring pops out it'll only shift at WOT/WideOpenThrottle. The hole there can be threaded with an 8-32 Tap and install a Nylon 8-32 Screw to prevent the Spring from popping out.
Pic here >> http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...0-4r-governor-for-higher-shift-points.251547/

Thanks for that information SSedan.

Dad didn't believe that he had actually removed that 315 spring, rather he thought the transmission might have ate it since he remembers seeing some black sludge like stuff on the little magnet attached to the bottom of the pan.

Is there a how-to here on the forum with regards to putting that nylon screw in for the governor?

Kirsten,