Help Needed! No 1-2 shift after my Dad installed a shifter kit.

Kirsten's 86' Regal said:
Thanks for that information SSedan.

Dad didn't believe that he had actually removed that 315 spring, rather he thought the transmission might have ate it since he remembers seeing some black sludge like stuff on the little magnet attached to the bottom of the pan.

Is there a how-to here on the forum with regards to putting that nylon screw in for the governor?

Kirsten,

315 is omitted from the factory high performance vb's and shouldnt be added. The governor is also Monte Carlo ss. Some early ones had two springs. The light spring on the small weight and another one on the heavier weight. With the spring on the heavier weight the light throttle low driveshaft speed shifts are at a lower road speed. Lmk which valvetrain(s) you want me to pull out and I'll pull them and lay them and post pic of springs and orientation.

315 is omitted from the factory high performance vb's and shouldnt be added. The governor is also Monte Carlo ss. Some early ones had two springs. The light spring on the small weight and another one on the heavier weight. With the spring on the heavier weight the light throttle low driveshaft speed shifts are at a lower road speed. Lmk which valvetrain(s) you want me to pull out and I'll pull them and lay them and post pic of springs and orientation.

Hi Bison,

Dad is asking (and if it's not to much trouble) if you can just take some pics of the underside area flutes ( 331, 332, 333, 334, 335 and 336 ) of the valve body while it's still assembled like the pics I posted on page two.

We would like to see how it looks in those areas fully assembled first.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Kirsten,

Idk if your page two is the same as mine on the app but you can determine the roll pin locations from these pics. I can take the valves and sleeves out if needed. Ignore the spring you see on the 3-2 control valve. It won't be in the Transgo kit or the stock calibration

Attachments

• image-3271306771.jpg
    image-3271306771.jpg
    586.3 KB · Views: 109
  • image-2593219346.jpg
    image-2593219346.jpg
    658.9 KB · Views: 107
  • image-2278940574.jpg
    image-2278940574.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 104
Another pic that has it all in one:

Attachments

• image-3023110807.jpg
    image-3023110807.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 95
when you had the pressure gauge on the car, did you drive it and watch the pressure?

I had another thought that perhaps the control valves are shifting but the servo is not working correctly (lip seals not installed correctly or something like that) I was just thinking that you might be able to see a loss of pressure. Just theorizing.

Just a thought.

Bob

Hi all,

Let me introduce myself first, my name is Kirsten and I own a very nice white 86' Regal that has T-tops and a V-8 motor. I loved my car until my dad and his friend put a shifter kit in last Saturday from a company called Transgo.

After they put the shifter kit in my car it won't shift into second gear on it's own unless you let up the gas and then give it gas again. My dad is not a mechanic or computer friendly cause he's old school (he's very smart though) and neither is his friend. He called the company and they had him check a few things, but my car still won't shift. He adjusted the cable that runs from the transmission to the carburetor a multitude of times with the same results (even checked with the pan off)

He's standing here next to me as I type this message feeling really bad about what has happened now since I can't drive my car to work.

He says that he checked all these things thoroughly which include the servo, tv cable, check balls, valve gaskets and used all three of the springs included with the kit for the tv plunger.

One caveat he states that when he took the valve body thingy apart to put the stuff in from the kit he accidentally remove a rolled pin holding a valve thingy in that he was not suppose to do and had a real hard time getting in back into the valve body thingy.

He was told by Transgo to do a pressure tester and so he ordered a pressure tester and that should be here tomorrow or the next day, but I was hoping some of the car guys here could help us out in case he missed something the Transgo people may have forgot to ask him to check.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kirsten,
Don't just let anyone touch your turbo Buick!
You need to look at an oil circuit diagram and double check anything they changed in the 1-2. They built this problem in.

Thanks for that information SSedan.
Is there a how-to here on the forum with regards to putting that nylon screw in for the governor?

Kirsten,

It's not too complicated to do and there're several methods, Nylon Screw, Steel Pin or factory plastic Retainer from another old Gov.
The Screw will add some weight so it's best to grind the same amount off of the Gov weight before installing it. Just Tap the hole that's already there and install the 8-32 Nylon Screw.
Some Pics of Nylon Screw >> http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...0-4r-governor-for-higher-shift-points.251547/

You can also Tack Weld a Pin in to accomplish the same result instead of using a Screw.
Tack Weld Pic >> http://www.drwtransmission.com/images/200-4R/govmod.jpg

A few Threads with Info:
Chris @CK-Performance uses the stock plastic Spring Retainer from an old Governor to hold the spring.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...-gov-to-keep-the-spring-in.88217/#post-605377
More on Pinning the spring >> http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/pinning-the-governor-spring.162404/

Did the TransGo HD2 kit come with a Billet Aluminum Servo? The old kits did not include the Servo.

Welcome, Todd

Put the TV check ball back in!! The check ball that goes on top of the "paper clip looking thingy".

Hi everybody,

Well dad put the valve body back in after viewing Bison's pics since it confirmed that dad had assembled it correctly.

Now dad says the car is starting out in second when the shifter is in drive. He confirmed this by driving about 15 mph and then puting the shifter in first. The car imediately down shifted.

Does anybody know why this is happening?

Kirsten,

Don't just let anyone touch your turbo Buick!
You need to look at an oil circuit diagram and double check anything they changed in the 1-2. They built this problem in.

Hi Dave,

Unforunately my Regal is not a turbo, but it does have vortech motor thing installed.

The person we bought the car from said it makes about 350 horse power. It was very fast before dad put the shifter kit in.

Kirsten,

It's not too complicated to do and there're several methods, Nylon Screw, Steel Pin or factory plastic Retainer from another old Gov.
The Screw will add some weight so it's best to grind the same amount off of the Gov weight before installing it. Just Tap the hole that's already there and install the 8-32 Nylon Screw.
Some Pics of Nylon Screw >> http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...0-4r-governor-for-higher-shift-points.251547/

You can also Tack Weld a Pin in to accomplish the same result instead of using a Screw.
Tack Weld Pic >> http://www.drwtransmission.com/images/200-4R/govmod.jpg

A few Threads with Info:
Chris @CK-Performance uses the stock plastic Spring Retainer from an old Governor to hold the spring.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/th...-gov-to-keep-the-spring-in.88217/#post-605377
More on Pinning the spring >> http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/pinning-the-governor-spring.162404/

Did the TransGo HD2 kit come with a Billet Aluminum Servo? The old kits did not include the Servo.

Welcome, Todd

Hi Todd, (by the way, that's my cousins name too)

Thanks for all the links and information you posted above and Dad will do the governor fix after he gets this transmission issue sorted out first.

I asked dad about the billet aluminum servo and he said yes, that the one in the kit was made from aluminum.

Do you think that this may be the problem?

Should he put the old one back?

He said that the old one appears to made from aluminum too.

Kirsten,

when you had the pressure gauge on the car, did you drive it and watch the pressure?

I had another thought that perhaps the control valves are shifting but the servo is not working correctly (lip seals not installed correctly or something like that) I was just thinking that you might be able to see a loss of pressure. Just theorizing.

Just a thought.

Bob

Hi Bob,

No, Dad didn't want to drive the car and possibly ruin my transmission.

Should he put that tool back on and drive it?

K,

Hi Todd, (by the way, that's my cousins name too)

Thanks for all the links and information you posted above and Dad will do the governor fix after he gets this transmission issue sorted out first.

I asked dad about the billet aluminum servo and he said yes, that the one in the kit was made from aluminum.

Do you think that this may be the problem?

Should he put the old one back?

He said that the old one appears to made from aluminum too.

Kirsten,

What changed to get the 1-2 back? The reason for second starts is that the minimum tv pressure is too high. Have him back off on the tv cable one or two clicks and see if it goes away

What changed to get the 1-2 back? The reason for second starts is that the minimum tv pressure is too high. Have him back off on the tv cable one or two clicks and see if it goes away

Hi Bison,

We're not sure if my car even has a 1-2 shift or if the shifts are not going to require my Dad to pedal the gas pedal for it to shift.

Dad thinks he may had that little tiny spring from the Transgo kit not installed in between the two valves correctly and perhaps it was wedged/misaligned against the valve and not over the tip.

Does dad just need to make the TV cable a small fraction looser?

He's telling me that Transgo kit had him add a washer to the end of the servo thingy for the intermediate band.

Dad seems to remember the service man at Transgo stating that the servo thing is for second gear.

K,

The servo is for second. In another post you stated it went into first if he shifted into L1. If the driveshaft spins in neutral the band is not dragging. You need to have a repeat symptom or you will or are looking in the wrong place. First no 1-2, then second starts, now were not sure.

The servo is for second. In another post you stated it went into first if he shifted into L1. If the driveshaft spins in neutral the band is not dragging. You need to have a repeat symptom or you will or are looking in the wrong place. First no 1-2, then second starts, now were not sure.

Hi Bison,

My dad thinks that car has been starting out in second gear right from the start now and he apologizes if he may have made an incorrect description of what was going on earlier in the thread.

But my Dad says he's absolutely sure my car doesn't have a 1-2 shift because it's already starting out in second from a stop and when the shifter is in (D). He didn't drive the car for more than a minute or two because he doesn't want to ruin this transmission.

His friend stopped earlier today to help out and was suggesting to my dad about them putting that washer in the servo thingy.

Dad says he put two washer in at first and the drive shaft wouldn't turn at all, so he took one of the washers out as the instructions had suggested.

He's going to try loosening the TV cable some and test drive the car again to see what happens.

Kirsten,

Hi Bison,

My dad thinks that car has been starting out in second gear right from the start now and he apologizes if he may have made an incorrect description of what was going on earlier in the thread.

But my Dad says he's absolutely sure my car doesn't have a 1-2 shift because it's already starting out in second from a stop and when the shifter is in (D). He didn't drive the car for more than a minute or two because he doesn't want to ruin this transmission.

His friend stopped earlier today to help out and was suggesting to my dad about them putting that washer in the servo thingy.

Dad says he put two washer in at first and the drive shaft wouldn't turn at all, so he took one of the washers out as the instructions had suggested.

He's going to try loosening the TV cable some and test drive the car again to see what happens.

Kirsten,
Ok. That changes a lot. Removing the vb wasn't necessary before. Backing off the tv cable to see if the 2nd start problem went away would have been next.

Ok. That changes a lot. Removing the vb wasn't necessary before. Backing off the tv cable to see if the 2nd start problem went away would have been next.

Hi Bison,

Dad tried moving the TV cable about 1/8 of inch towards the firewall and still no first gear start.

He drove my car in second gear to about 10 to 15 mph and then put the car L1 and the my car definitely down shifted. He pulled my car in the drive way and then moved the TV cable another 1/8 of inch towards the firewall again, test drove and still no first gear start.

Should he remove that penny size washer from the servo thingy and test drive my car again or do you think he should move the TV cable even further back towards the firewall.

Dad says he adjusted the TV cable with the pan off and verified that when the gas pedal was firmly pressed to the floor the plunger valve thingy was seated flush in the valve body bore.

K,

X2^^ on above Info from "Mikestertwo".

Not sure if this has been asked but,
What type Carb do you have? Holley? Edelbrock? QuadraJet?
Holley & Eddy carbs require a TV geometry corrector bracket.