Help Needed! No 1-2 shift after my Dad installed a shifter kit.

hopefully the car is not under water...... (I think she said they were in NJ)

Bob

Oooh! Hope not. Sandy turned out to be one mean Beotch.
Even down here in Ga. wind has been constant 20mph & gusting to 40-50mph for last 2 days. Power's been out twice.:mad: Wild ass Jet Stream dipping all the way down in Fl. + Cold front & Sandy.:eek:

hopefully the car is not under water...... (I think she said they were in NJ)

Bob

Hi Bob,

Were OK, we lost power and our home had a tree fall through the second floor roof. We had to stay at my aunts home in Jackson so we werent able to work on my car.

Now we have the roof fixed and were home again, but were going to get hit by another storm today. Dad wont be able to work on my car until this weekend providing we make it through this next storm.

Kirsten,

Good news everybody.

My dad was able to get my car working again. My boyfriend Jason and dad spent this past weekend working on the transmission and fixed the problem after borrowing another valve body thingy from a friend of Jason's brother that has an 87 Monte Carlo.

It turned out that the 1-2 shift valve thingy (331) was a not opening up all the way. Dad used the borrowed valve body to compare with and was finally able to get it to move freely after working it back and forth with a small screwdriver.

I have one other question to ask with regards to the 1-2 shift. It now seems to bang slightingly when shifting from first to second gear even under a light throttle.

Is this OK and is it possible to make it bang less?

(also should I ask this question by starting another thread)

Thanks,

Kirsten

thats sort of what a shift kit does. The TV cable adjustment will affect this somewhat. The other things that affect the 1-2 shift are the spring/spacer in the 1-2 accumulator, the setup of the servo, and the hole size that was drilled in the separator plate. The 1-2 shift is somewhat tunable, but you don't want to soften up the light throttle 1-2 at the expense of the full throttle shift crispness.

Most shift kits have some choices you can make relative to this. You need to check with your dad on these and see what he did.

Some of the other guys can help you tune it as well.

Bob

thats sort of what a shift kit does. The TV cable adjustment will affect this somewhat. The other things that affect the 1-2 shift are the spring/spacer in the 1-2 accumulator, the setup of the servo, and the hole size that was drilled in the separator plate. The 1-2 shift is somewhat tunable, but you don't want to soften up the light throttle 1-2 at the expense of the full throttle shift crispness.

Most shift kits have some choices you can make relative to this. You need to check with your dad on these and see what he did.

Some of the other guys can help you tune it as well.

Bob
My car has a shift kit, but shifts smooth under light acceleration and slams in there under heavy acceleration. I think the TV cable like you said needs tweaking. I am no wrench turner though.

Kristen, have you tried her under heavy acceleration? How does it shift then?