Got a carb turbo torn apart and

OK. Lets push pause! We need to reevaluate this situation. I know you are on a budget and I can tell you right now where you are at you are going to go waaaaaay over. Beings youa re on a budget, I would see what is out there for a good used turbo longblock. Anything from 79-87 will should work. OR even if you were to find a GOOD NON turbo charged engine for stupid cheap, I would slap that in there, or tear it down and buy a piston and bearing set and have someone help you put it together so you can save money and learn:cool:

My total "I want to spend no more than this" is $3000. Theres no other cars that will have the performance this will have for less. I was saying $800 for parts and the long block setup. I got the motor, trans accesories ECT for $250. Even if the trans (a th250) is only $100 and accesories are $50 which is low, I am still doin OK. I have the 455 to sell thats in the car. Im stickin the old heads on and the stock cam back in. The car was $1300 and the motor is at so far $900 Thats $800 left for head work, seats, wheels tires, a cam other motor parts. Itll be close but it should be fine. Im set on keepin this motor, just might need to do some workin for money. Plus, if the cutlass decdes to rust out, I can swap the motor into a NA V6 buick and actually have a turbo regal (which Ive always wanted anyways.)

The trans is a 350 always was in the turbo cars, and the torque converter is different than the v8 ones also,-just an FYI

Sounds wierd, but it is for sure a th250. Its considered as a light duty 350 as I found out. So it is a 350, but isnt at the same time. Saw a chart and it is slightly different than a 350. Case might be the same but the internals are different I am guessing.

I dont think this motor is too far gone to be non rebuildable. No offense to anyone but you never know about these "rebuilt" motors. Did the pistons get replaced? New timing chain? Ect. Plus, its a good learning experience.

I have 2 unanswered questions-

1. How does the ESC box plug into the distributor? Is the adjustable timing run by the vacuum box on the side? I cant figgure that one out.

2. Exhaust, I was thinking about a 80series flowmaster but after reading up, I found out they dont work great. Im kinda wanting to run 1 3 inch pipe from the down pipe, to behind the rear axle and put a crossflow muffler on it. I found out that a magnaflow or dynomax work good, but do they make a crossflow that I can use? I dont need anything too performance oriented, nothing too pricey less than $180, and it cant be loud. A 16yr old driving a loud car doesnt work. Any advice? Heres kinda what im talking about.
80 Series Crossflow 3.00"/2.25" O/Opp DUAL [43083] : Flowmaster Inc. Exhaust Shop, Love That Sound!

What I was getting at is you need to see how much everything is gonna cost and then see if it would be cheaper to get his engine and take it apart to verify it's condition. There may be a less expensive way to go about it and if everything is good to go then all you'll be out is a gasket set. As far as a downpipe that size you'll have to make it. You'd be better off buying some mandral bent sections and making you're own 2.5 inch down pipe.

Is there room for a 3 inch down pipe on these cars? I have heard the stock one sits tight in places on the frame and caused a knock. How much inprovement between a 2.5 inch to a 3 inch is there?

The stock one is 2.25" and it's double walled so it's really restrictive. If you want a bigger one you'll have to make it, including the flange. The 84-87 cars use a different mounting configuration for the waste gate. Bolts aren't in the same place. If you just want a bigger pipe you can make it from mandrell bent pipes in sections from summit. YOu'll have to get all the parts and then fit it and weld it yourself.

Update: Got the plenum and left side of the turbo housing off this weekend. I was worried about the turbo having a lot of play on the shaft considering the shape of the rest of the motor. It was VERY nice and there was zero shaft movement. The fins are nice, straight and clean. After looking at exhaust side exit theres no reason to have a 3 inch down pipe. 2.5 should be fine.
Also got around to look at the carb and it looks fine to me. Have to see how it actually works but it should be fine. Hope to get the rebuild kit ordered sometime this week, so sometime next week I should have a nice lookin block!

If it had a spun rod bearing you might want to consider rebuilding the turbo. Trash'll get in it really easy. Not trying to be a bummer just a realist.

Got a little update. The machine shop got the rebuild kit in. Should be able to pick the machined motor up somethime this week. Pistons are .040 over, and are soooo nice!!! Almost a shame to put them in the block! Cant wait to get this thing runnin!

I have no choice on mine with the turbo upgrade. Still have to find all the parts though. Going external wastegate and boost control for this one if I ever get the parts gathered. I think it will be a suprise for everyone if I ever get it done. Sound familiur Usteta?