Garrett vs. precision

robzombie

Is there a garrett turbo that is the equivalent of the precision 6466BB performance wise.

After reading some threads here about the 6466BB and how it performs, IE; spools like a 62, runs in the tens at low boost, around 20 lbs. from what I've read and in the nines at higher boost levels.

That is exactly what I'm looking for in a turbo that I could purchase soon.

The reason I'm looking for a garrett instead of the precision is that they have been having issues with the bearings failing prematurely and of course the high price of admission.

I want to stay in the tens until I put a stronger bottom end in and still have a turbo capable of nines when I do the mods needed to go that fast, but would like to not have to buy another turbo to get in the nines when I'm ready to do so.

I also will be running an external W/G regardless of turbo being used and also don't mind converting to a T3, 4 or even a V band mount as I can fab whatever is needed to run any style mount. I don't want to enlarge the hole on the buick housing because when I decide to go in the nines I would have to weld the hole up to make it smaller or would have to buy a new exh. housing from what I've been told.

TIA for any help that may be given.

Garrett has a bunch of turbos out there that will cover those mass flow requirements including the old cast wheel stuff thats been around forever. You need about 75lbs/min minimum to run 9's at full weight. How low the boost is to get it done depends on the engine more than anything else. Average parts equal average potential. The best of the best will allow the engine to operate most efficiently and operate where its most efficient the longest and net the best times. Those parts will also cost a lot more.

I don't want to enlarge the hole on the buick housing because when I decide to go in the nines I would have to weld the hole up to make it smaller or would have to buy a new exh. housing from what I've been told.

TIA for any help that may be given.

youve been told wrong

and since you plan on external gate and can fab , just mount the wastegate off the header. by doing it that way you get the best control the gate will offer and dont need to touch the hole
if you go 4bolt , running the gate off the header is the only way to control boost since there is no hole in the housing.

youve been told wrong

So if I buy a 6466bb I will be able to run it at the ten second level as well as nine second level without any mods???

Cal hartline said this;
You HAVE to port it before you try and boost the car. If you are just trying to make the show and not going to get on the throttle hard, then bolt it on "as-is". The advatage to this is, the exhaust will give you a nice footprint of where to port it.

He also said;
My posts are based on experience with this turbo swap on several cars with no other changes beside the turbo. I recommend to nearly everyone to port the exhaust housing as far as you can. 90% of the customers will not have to worry about back pressure shoving the gate open. It's not going to happen until you get around 35psi. Most will have to worry about getting the boost under control on a street car

I'm also open to other brands of turbos if I can achieve the same or better performance as the 6466bb.

It must come in at a lower price and have better reliability.

I'm also open to other brands of turbos if I can achieve the same or better performance as the 6466bb.

It must come in at a lower price and have better reliability.

Look at the Borgwarner stuff from Work turbochargers. Call Reed.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app