fwd roller and non roller cam parts in gn motor w/pictures

Bob,
I got my dogbones, and spider out of a 3.8 FWD 1986 Olsmobile
at Pull a Part.
My lifters cam out of a Pontiac Grand Am 3.1 V-6 that already had
the intake removed.

All my stuff cost me $40.00

What application year/years on the lifters?
Are these the lifters to use ?
Sealed Power Lifter
Part No: HT-2270

Is this the correct application? "1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 3.1L 189CI V6 FI VIN: M"

Would any of the shelf Turbo Buick Roller cam work with this set up?

What application year/years on the lifters?
Are these the lifters to use ?
Sealed Power Lifter
Part No: HT-2270

Is this the correct application? "1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 3.1L 189CI V6 FI VIN: M"

Would any of the shelf Turbo Buick Roller cam work with this set up?

Yes. GM part# for lifters 17120070

Lifters came in:
3.1L/3100
The L82 ("M-code")

1994-1999 Buick Century
1994-1996 Buick Regal
1994-1996 Chevrolet Beretta
1994-1996 Chevrolet Corsica
1994-1999 Chevrolet Lumina
1997-1999 Chevrolet Malibu
1993-1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme (1993 received both LH0 and L82 3.1 L motors)
1994-1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera
1994-1999 Pontiac Grand Prix
1994-1998 Pontiac Grand Am
1994-1998 Buick Skylark
1994-1998 Oldsmobile Achieva
1995-1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

The LA1 3400 ("E-code").

1996 Chevrolet Lumina APV
1996 Pontiac Trans Sport
1996 Oldsmobile Silhouette
1997-2005 Chevrolet Venture
1997-2005 Pontiac Trans Sport/Montana
1997-2004 Oldsmobile Silhouette
2001-2005 Pontiac Aztek
1999-2005 Pontiac Grand Am
1999-2004 Oldsmobile Alero
2000-2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2000-2005 Chevrolet Impala

As well as the 2.8 liter

Spider and Dog bones -
Lifter Guide Retainer (spider) # 25526620 - no longer available through GM
Lifter Guide (dogbone) # 25526619 - no longer available through GM

They came in:

86/87 Buick LaSabre
86/87 Buick Riviera
86/87 Buick Electra
86/87 Olds Cutlass & Tornado
86/87 Delta 88
87/88 Pontiac Bonneville

OTS Roller cams have worked thus far - need to be aware of overall lift though.
HTH- ;)

Yes. GM part# for lifters 17120070

OTS Roller cams have worked thus far - need to be aware of overall lift though.
HTH- ;)

you should have known that my dumb ass (LOL)was going to ask,
Whats the Max lift/size cam that can safely work with this lifter setup?

thanks for your help and replies guys.
David

you should have known that my dumb ass (LOL)was going to ask,
Whats the Max lift/size cam that can safely work with this lifter setup?

thanks for your help and replies guys.
David

Blazer406 - ran this set up with a cam that had an overall lift of .590" with no issues. Page 8, post #206 on this thread has the details.

Whats your guys experience using used GM lifters in a performance set up?
the cams i am looking to use are either a 206/206 or a 206/210
thanks for you help.
David

If anyone is still working on this project - I have an extra set of lifters I pulled from the pick-a-part. These are GM part # 17120070

They have been disassembled, cleaned, and have no issues other than typical wear.

$60 shipped

P1010039.jpg

P1010041.jpg

87Buickracer, have you had a chance to try this combo at the track or have you dynoed it yet, if not got a guestamet of the rwhp?
I also have special request. If you took pics of the roller setup and your build, could you email me the pics? I've followed this thread and it has gotten so long and polluted with side stuff that I'ld just like to see what your setup is. Oh, one more question, what method did you use to retain the billet cam?

cam retention

I believe Weber uses the odd-fire nose on their billet rollers, it uses the thrust shimmed bumper that runs against timing cover

87Buickracer, have you had a chance to try this combo at the track or have you dynoed it yet, if not got a guestamet of the rwhp?
I also have special request. If you took pics of the roller setup and your build, could you email me the pics? I've followed this thread and it has gotten so long and polluted with side stuff that I'ld just like to see what your setup is. Oh, one more question, what method did you use to retain the billet cam?

I have a few more things to do before going to the track.This car has alot of power and safety is my main concern now..I just ordered rear control arms this week..currently getting new brake parts and will order drive shaft loop next week..I dont want to hit the track and not be able to stop if you know what I mean..All the info you need on my build up is in the beginning of the thread..my roller cam is the weber billet cam with the nose gear you assemble with the cam eccentric and key way...the fwd parts are the roller lifters ,dog bones and retainer..I run comp cam push rods and beehive springs recommended for cam..you will need to use a adjustable pushrod checker to get your specific pushrod length..I backed the boost down to 17-18lbs and it still smokes the tires at 5lbs boost.feels like it should run a hi 10 low 11 sec run at this boost level with a good 60ft time..I also changed alky nozzles to one m10 and one m15 for this low boost level..once I get to the track I will post up some numbers..will be after new years,so that will give me time to finish with brakes,control arms and drive shaft loop..If you need anymore info just let me know...hth

This is a great thread as soon as I find a 109 block I'm going to start a new build I know this has been asked but can you use the FWD 86-87 heads arn't those the same heads that came on the TA I like the rocker arms setup better
I have 2 extra of the retainer and dog bones I will let them go for $50 shipped each
The lifters I can get quite a few sets for $60 shipped

fwd valve train

Anyone selling a baby roller cam for this set-up, going in a stock build. Must have a small basecircle cam lobe. Springs, retainers, locks???????? Thanks

I have a few more things to do before going to the track.This car has alot of power and safety is my main concern now..I just ordered rear control arms this week..currently getting new brake parts and will order drive shaft loop next week..I dont want to hit the track and not be able to stop if you know what I mean..All the info you need on my build up is in the beginning of the thread..my roller cam is the weber billet cam with the nose gear you assemble with the cam eccentric and key way...the fwd parts are the roller lifters ,dog bones and retainer..I run comp cam push rods and beehive springs recommended for cam..you will need to use a adjustable pushrod checker to get your specific pushrod length..I backed the boost down to 17-18lbs and it still smokes the tires at 5lbs boost.feels like it should run a hi 10 low 11 sec run at this boost level with a good 60ft time..I also changed alky nozzles to one m10 and one m15 for this low boost level..once I get to the track I will post up some numbers..will be after new years,so that will give me time to finish with brakes,control arms and drive shaft loop..If you need anymore info just let me know...hth

I hear ya on the brakes. It all sounds good except finding the right fwd 3800 around here in the junkyards. If I can find the right parts, I know someone with a cnc miller that could make the dogbones I'm sure. The retainer would take some ingenuity. Are the dogbones alumiunum or steel?

This is a great thread as soon as I find a 109 block I'm going to start a new build I know this has been asked but can you use the FWD 86-87 heads arn't those the same heads that came on the TA I like

Yes - but if I recall correctly you have to aquire TTA headers ($$$) and crossover ($$) and a custom downpipe. Plus - a good set of ported GN head's will go a lot farther than the TTA stocker.

Are the dogbones alumiunum or steel?

Steel.

If anyone is still thinking of doing this - I have some spiders and bones left plus a set of used GM lifters. Lifters have been disassembled and cleaned.

Set of Spider/bones and lifters - $80 shipped
Set of Spider/bones - $50 shipped

P1010548.jpg

P1010549.jpg

update

Running 21 lbs boost with pt72 turbo..I broke my ptc torque converter and had my art carr one built by fti competition converters in deland,fl..I had them make me a 4000 stall converter and owner steve said it will hold up behind a 7 second car..Now I can make boost off the foot brake,before I couldn't.. yesterday I boosted up around 10 -12lbs on the foot brake and did about a 60ft burn out..I'm very happy with my new converter..Haven't had any problem with fwd roller lifters/dog bones..oil pressure is still good..Took it to 1/8 mile track a few times but couldnt make any boost with old converter and found out I had exhaust leak between turbo and down pipe and couldn't make more than 201bs of boost..soon as I fix the bugs and get a new set of tires I will be heading back to the track..with the way the car is boosting on the foot brake I'm sure it will have a good 60ft..