Ford 3.5 EcoBoost in 87 GN?a

HUH??? I see these kinda swaps on TV series shows all day..... Old cars new EFI engines...
These guys on the TV series have a lot of expertise. There is quite a bit of technology layering there, like electronic throttle control, which has the ability to disable the injectors. I worked for Ford Powertrain for 4 years doing fuel subsystem driver software. Working with Ford's first domestic ETC program, the 2003.75 Lincoln LS, at some point during the program the ETC was enabled and during a bench test I wasn't able to control the injectors. I was able to, however, tap off the output of the TPU to monitor the signal that would turn the injectors on and off.

If you are planning on pulling an EcoBoost engine and doing this yourself, all the best to you. I haven't checked Livernois MotorSport to see what that offer, I live about 20 minutes from their shop. Perhaps they have a engine with a controller ready to go, I'm sure it's not cheap. Then you have the integration or mating of an engine to a transmission.

I have thought about this very thing and I have also considered GM's 3.6L v6 LGX and twin turbo 3.0L v6(LGW). I have also considered GM 2.0L Ecotec, the one out of the ATS(which is sold as a crate motor with ECM and harness), but I don't have the knowledge, nor the time or money to invest in such an endeavor.

Good luck.

EDIT:

The 3.6L and TT 3.0L engines will not be available until the 2016MY of the Gen 6 of the Cadillac CTS.

Last edited:
I'm a 20 year Ford Motor Co. employee...
If you don't mind me asking, what facility do you work at?

When I was there I worked at POEE (Powertrain Engine Engineering) building in Dearborn. I was there from 200o to 2004.

These guys on the TV series have a lot of expertise. There is quite a bit of technology layering there, like electronic throttle control, which has the ability to disable the injectors. I worked for Ford Powertrain for 4 years doing fuel subsystem driver software. Working with Ford's first domestic ETC program, the 2003.75 Lincoln LS, at some point during the program the ETC was enabled and during a bench test I wasn't able to control the injectors. I was able to, however, tap off the output of the TPU to monitor the signal that would turn the injectors on and off.

If you are planning on pulling an EcoBoost engine and doing this yourself, all the best to you. I haven't checked Livernois MotorSport to see what that offer, I live about 20 minutes from their shop. Perhaps they have a engine with a controller ready to go, I'm sure it's not cheap. Then you have the integration or mating of an engine to a transmission.

I have thought about this very thing and I have also considered GM's 3.6L v6 LGX and twin turbo 3.0L v6(LGW). I have also considered GM 2.0L Ecotec, the one out of the ATS(which is sold as a crate motor with ECM and harness), but I don't have the knowledge, nor the time or money to invest in such an endeavor.

Good luck.
If you don't mind me asking, what facility do you work at?

When I was there I worked at POEE (Powertrain Engine Engineering) building in Dearborn. I was there from 200o to 2004.
I do not mind at all! I'm a Master Electrician and i work in Dearborn at the Rouge facility.

Sure, there are modern swaps on TV every day, however 99% of these swaps are motors with lots of aftermarket support like adapter mounts, standalone ECUs, and plug and play harnesses. There is nothing like that for the EB platform. If you guys have been watching Fast N' Loud and Roadkill, you can see how difficult it was to swap in the new Dodge drivetrain due to the need to gut all the electronics from donor cars.

That being said, a 3.5 EB swap from a truck would be badass. I would do it in an old crown vic or Fairmont though.

pretty sure Ford sells them as a standalone swap engine, so getting it running wouldn't be that hard..

pretty sure Ford sells them as a standalone swap engine, so getting it running wouldn't be that hard..
I would hope they would. The company I work for now supplies active and part time transfer cases to GM for all their North American light duty trucks and other platforms. I was working on the Omega program, which is for the 2016 CTS. It is an active transfer case for the 3.0L TT and 3.6L N/A vehicles. For instance, if our module(TCCM) loses communication with the EBCM(electronic brake control module), the H-bridge is disabled which disables the motor, which turn doesn't allow any clutch compression and therefore no torque to the front wheels. This is a trivial example. When you get to modern day engine controllers, there are a lot of inter-dependencies.

I would interested in the 2.7 TT EB v6 and the 3.0L TT v6 from GM(not sure if it is an ET engine.

I do not mind at all! I'm a Master Electrician and i work in Dearborn at the Rouge facility.
That's cool. So you're in skilled trades. Congrats on making 20 years. If I would have stayed, I would have just past my 15th anniversary.

I'm currently in the process of having a spare 109 rebuilt. Good luck with your project, in whatever choose.

That's cool. So you're in skilled trades. Congrats on making 20 years. If I would have stayed, I would have just past my 15th anniversary.

I'm currently in the process of having a spare 109 rebuilt. Good luck with your project, in whatever choose.
Im not considering at all to do this. It just ran through my mind being a Ford employee and a happy Eco Boost owner...
Picking up my GN this Friday from my mechanics. Ride Tech Tru Turn Coil Over kit is being installed along with some other Detroit Speed toys..
Next I have to get me some wheels and tires that tuck better and smaller probably 18's
Then im getting into the engine and make her perform a little better..
Im excited... Thats my only plans... Then just dial everything in....

I'm a technician at a ford dealership, I drive the Eco boost stuff all day. I'm not by any means putting down anyone, but even though the Eco boost stuff does run very well and is quite impressive for what it is, to me it's really apples to oranges when compared to our Buicks. With technology these days there really isn't any reason a manufacturer can't build something like that. I guess the real point I'm trying to say is Buick did it 30 years ago and with primitive tech. Still couldn't justify anything other then a 3.8 SFI TURBO between the fenders of my GN. Just saying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you swap EVERYTHING (engine, transmission, and all of the computers) the swap can be done with a minimal amount of programing to disable the anti theft system.

Option B is to use only the engine and go with a stand alone EFI system like a Holley Dominator. This is more complicated, but still doable. Ecoboost swaps are becoming more and more common, and just like any engine swap they need to be carefully planned out.

If you swap EVERYTHING (engine, transmission, and all of the computers) the swap can be done with a minimal amount of programing to disable the anti theft system.

Option B is to use only the engine and go with a stand alone EFI system like a Holley Dominator. This is more complicated, but still doable. Ecoboost swaps are becoming more and more common, and just like any engine swap they need to be carefully planned out.
Not so sure about that. You'd have to give up the direct injection (dominator doesn't do direct injection). And that would suck bad going to regular injection, on the higher compression ecoboost motor.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk.[emoji252]

Not so sure about that. You'd have to give up the direct injection (dominator doesn't do direct injection). And that would suck bad going to regular injection, on the higher compression ecoboost motor.

It's been done. There is a guy that has a 3.5 Ecoboost in a White Foxbody notch running on a Holley. I didn't ask the specifics of it about Direct Injection and all that, however I can say that the ecoboost's static compression is only 10:1, that's hardly a high compression by any means and can certainly be done with EFI if needed.

It's been done. There is a guy that has a 3.5 Ecoboost in a White Foxbody notch running on a Holley. I didn't ask the specifics of it about Direct Injection and all that, however I can say that the ecoboost's static compression is only 10:1, that's hardly a high compression by any means and can certainly be done with EFI if needed.

I think it's pretty high on an engine that in stock trim runs knock free on 87 octane gas and 13# of boost. Try that on your average TR.

I think it's pretty high on an engine that in stock trim runs knock free on 87 octane gas and 13# of boost. Try that on your average TR.

Umm..

There are numerous modern engines that are 10.5:1 and higher compression, without direct injection, and can withstand boost in factory trim. We aren't talking about a TR, this isn't 25 year old technology. Cylinder heads have changed, combustion chambers have changed, spark technology has come a long way as has tuning.

That's not to mention your average TR has cast iron heads, which is an ENTIRELY different ballgame.