Calling all history guru's

On Dec 5th of '86. My dad ordered his '87 GN with G80 posi & K05 block heater. That's it for options.
Car was delivered in May of '87. Even the windshield is 100% clear (no tint on the top). I do know of only one other without the tinted portion.

I seen an 86' in Columbia Missouri that wasn't Inter-cooled, don't know if that counts, didn't know they made a Hot-Air that year, or if the dealer didn't know what he had

Here's the standard equipment and the option list from the sales brochure.
Disregard the insane ramblings and check marks I was trying to order 3 different cars at the time. :oops: :p
IMG_0622ab.jpg

On the other side of that coin, anybody ever heard of someone special ordering their car with 4 different rate springs? How do I find out what the rate my springs are, and what the stock rates were? Mine is loaded with small, odd ball other stuff too!
TIMINATOR

Attachments

• 20230406_095205.jpg
    20230406_095205.jpg
    954.8 KB · Views: 38
FE3 is the performance suspension option which was part of the turbo packages. A plain old Regal has softer springs. I have a chart somewhere, I'll post it if I can find it.

On the other side of that coin, anybody ever heard of someone special ordering their car with 4 different rate springs? How do I find out what the rate my springs are, and what the stock rates were? Mine is loaded with small, odd ball other stuff too!
TIMINATOR

I had changed my springs to the ATR handling springs in ‘88 at around 8k miles.
When I sold the stock front springs a few years ago they had different tag numbers from side to side. I don’t think they would have had different spring rates for each corner, probably different tag numbers so the assembly line workers knew where they went.

There’s a lot of info on springs from CharlieF1 and JDPolzin.
They posted about different moog springs and rates vs. lowering stance.

The standard regals had 350 lb/in front springs. No info found on rear rates.
Regals with the touring package (T-types, Turbo Ts and GNs) had 422 lb/in. front springs and 118 lb/in rear springs.

In comparison the UMI front springs are 600 lb/in. and the rears are 130 lb/in.

I get what you are saying about the springs Chuck, but do all others have different springs on both sides? I get why they might want to do that, but anyone else's car have different 4 corner rates or just mine? My other 2 GNs didn't.
TIMINATOR

I get what you are saying about the springs Chuck, but do all others have different springs on both sides? I get why they might want to do that, but anyone else's car have different 4 corner rates or just mine? My other 2 GNs didn't.
TIMINATOR
Not aware of that.
However, different part numbers may just be the identifier for different suppliers.

One thing I DO know, is that the rearend sits higher than what I think is normal, and it rides like a TRUCK in the back! I thought it was the shocks, so I changed them, it didn't help much. I think the last owner, not knowing how to properly correct the rear squat on acceleration just installed stiff springs, OR these are what the car was ordered with. I'll look for tags, count the coils, and measure the wire diameter. Mebbie someone can post up what the stock coils, diameter, free length should be.
I know the correct way to cure the squat, but the stiff springs will work against proper chassis separation by not storing energy. I got a lot more de- obamacising to do!
THANKS FOR ANY HELP, ALL!

TIMINATOR

FE3 is the performance suspension option which was part of the turbo packages. A plain old Regal has softer springs. I have a chart somewhere, I'll post it if I can find it.
thought it was FE2...that was only available with WE2 and the Y56 sport touring package " T package" ...but you could get an NA regal with Y56 , that is why some NA regals had T badges on them...hence the term T package from GM ....the T badges on the fenders did not mean the car was a turbo car ...I beleive the FE2 was a spring option like you said

From what I understand, the GN was a package that had to be added to a T-Type until the '87 run, when the T-type went away and the GN became it's own separate model. You had three regular models not counting the GNX. They were: Regal with a turbo, a GN, and a Limited with a turbo. The Turbo T (WE4) was a package on the Regal with a turbo.

So, you could get cruise without pdl's. The question now is..
Was cruise a mandatory part of the package or was it, it's own separate option? Any non-cruise cars out there? With or without pdl's?
not sure if you know this but probably do...the 87 GN was the only car in 87 to have the W11 " t type " code on the body cowl....

OK. My coils have 6 1/4 full turns including the small pocket area ends of coil to end of coil. The coil wire diameter is .562" or 9/16" exactly. Both springs are exactly the same. Since my option chart shows different springs on all corners, I think someone changed the rears.
Can anyone measure the wire diameter on stock springs, please!
TIMINATOR

I have stock springs front and rear. If you want, I could come by next weekend and YOU can measure them, personally, so you know you are right...... LOL.

Let me know, before I make plans.....

Both my 1987 GN and WE4 have 4 spring codes on the RPO sticker. FE3 for the sport suspension that year.
86's and 87's had different RPO codes available on the stickers such as for climate control and a few other things I wrote down somewhere from the old days, plus the stickers show 15 across rather than 13 for the 87's not that that matters.

Thanks all!
Guy, Thats a great idea! We can hang out, ask questions, and check out the shop! Mebbie I can order pizza, if yer up for that! Ya can look at my T and tell me what I'm doing wrong! I have a day or so before mine is gonna go down the street, try not to laugh! Yours is professionally done, mine is a backyard deal...
See ya soon! It's been a few months.
Did you go coil overs, or custom rates?
TIMINATOR