Finally dynoed my car.

litdog83z

87 GN,
Stock 170k mile motor with valve springs.
(turned over 170,000 today on the way there)

Hooker catback + test pipe
Walbro 340 + hotwire & AFPR
Turbotweak chip burned for 91 octane.
K&n & 3" maf pipe

Everything else is stock.

16psi of boost, converter unlocked.

best run was at 41psi of base fuel pressure, no knock, 12:1 AFR

Car made 321ft/lbs of torque, and 238hp right when it hit full boost (maybe a tiny spike). The car made these numbers around 3800 rpm, then stayed pretty much flat up to 5000 rpm where we shut it down....

Do these numbers sound about right? It seems that it should continue to build power over 3800 rpm :confused: I'll scan the dyno sheet in and post it up.

That works out to somewhere about 280hp at the flywheel- I'd say not too bad for a geriatric 6 banger!

Like Shane indicated, looks like the valve springs are somewhat suspect. I'd try a newer (stock type/press rating) set,,,

Just for comparasion,I dynoed about 6 months ago with my (then) 20K original mile car with stock block & internals, with 100 V.P. unleaded octane, Neal Steward 100 octane chip, with the boost set at 20 Lbs & the afpr set at about 43 lbs. (very fat):
-----------------------
Walbro 340 & hotwire kit
Race Jace airflow plate
Race Jace aluminum complete pulley set
Terry Houston Down Pipe
Test pipe
Hooker Cat Back system with the Aerochamber muffs.
Kirban's (Limit Eng.) TA-49
300 RWHP & 366 RWTQ
--------------------
I had the stock factory original spark plug wires, ignition module, coil pack, & the very restrictive factory air intake system with a K & N.

Not bad... Might want to check those springs again!

The springs are comp 980s, I installed them at the end of last summer.

Oh and I also have a RJC power plate, and a partially stripped driver's rear upper intake bolt hole... i've been meaning to helicoil it for some time now... maybe since it's not holding as tight it's leaking some air? It's at least not leaking at idle bad enough to mess up the BLMs, but maybe under boost.

The springs are comp 980s, I installed them at the end of last summer.

Yes but I think everyone is trying to point out the fact that your car fell flat under 4grand. It's great that you put new springs in but obviously something still isn't right.

I doubt you're losing any power due to the stripped plenum bolt.

Yes but I think everyone is trying to point out the fact that your car fell flat under 4grand. It's great that you put new springs in but obviously something still isn't right.

I doubt you're losing any power due to the stripped plenum bolt.

I didn't think so, but I just stuck a stud in it anyway... I've been meaning to do that for quite a while :redface:

I installed the springs without the cups, but with the internal dampers that came with them. Didn't look to have any wiped cam lobes from watching while cranking. It also had a timing chain done on it before I bought it. I can't think of anything else valvetrain related.

I'm sure this explains why the car only picked up 13-15 mph 1/8-1/4 mile. (Don't remember for sure, but it was well under 20.) When i'm at WOT in 3rd, it also seems to pull really good then flatten out just like the dyno graph.

Any other reason it would flatten out?

sounds about tight 245 was stock and you figure your motor has some blowby with the mileage and the stock chip had a little more timing

Just for comparasion,I dynoed about 6 months ago with my (then) 20K original mile car with stock block & internals, with 100 V.P. unleaded octane, Neal Steward 100 octane chip, with the boost set at 20 Lbs & the afpr set at about 43 lbs. (very fat):
-----------------------
Walbro 340 & hotwire kit
Race Jace airflow plate
Terry Houston Down Pipe
Test pipe
300 RWHP & 366 RWTQ
--------------------
I had the stock factory original spark plug wires, ignition module, coil pack, & the very restrictive factory air intake system with a K & N.

Shane's TFS car in basically the same trim made 372 at the wheels except he had a stock turbo to go along with the stock intercooler. The housings were mildly ported (Extrude Honed actually). The torque numbers were well over 450 but I dont have the dyno sheet in front of me to get the exact number.

Too bad this class basically folded. That car would have been tough to beat. With a small turbo upgrade and a stock location intercooler, the car made 530+ with no other changes.

Really when I look at the graph, it looks like if there wasnt the small boost spike on spoolup, it would have a broad flat HP curve with max hp in the upper 4000 rpm range. This doesn't sound too off going by the stock ratings and mods I have.

-----------------------
Walbro 340 & hotwire kit
Race Jace airflow plate
Terry Houston Down Pipe
Test pipe
300 RWHP & 366 RWTQ
--------------------
How many degrees of timing 1/2 in the chip?

-----------------------
Walbro 340 & hotwire kit
Race Jace airflow plate
Terry Houston Down Pipe
Test pipe
300 RWHP & 366 RWTQ
--------------------

So with a bigger turbo, downpipe, pulleys +4 psi of boost and a 100 octane chip vs my 91, you made 73hp and 45tq more than me. I'm pretty happy with where the car is for the mods... now I just need some alcohol injection :)

not bad #s..

you passed me the other day when you were leaving school...in the svo..i was in the GN turning left onto blvd...i bought a house at 33rd n blvd...i got a mustang now too...

not bad #s..

you passed me the other day when you were leaving school...in the svo..i was in the GN turning left onto blvd...i bought a house at 33rd n blvd...i got a mustang now too...

I saw your car. EDIT: OK, nevermind, i just saw that you're josh (gill?) so that probably wasn't your 86 that I always see.

I remember hearing that you bought a mustang.

I saw your car. EDIT: OK, nevermind, i just saw that you're josh (gill?) so that probably wasn't your 86 that I always see.

yea...gill...and no it probably wasnt me...my car sits in the garage under the cover....i've seen a few around edmond...

yea...gill...and no it probably wasnt me...my car sits in the garage under the cover....i've seen a few around edmond...

so that was probably the 86 i always see around edmond that lives off of bryant then. My car mostly sits under a cover too because of this freaking state. It rains red mud, and dust attaches itself to my car. It's hardly worth it to take it outside because then I have to wash it again :frown:

Sometimes I wish my car was in primer or something :cool: