E85 Changeover suggestions?

VtheGNMan

I have read thru the stickies on all the different E85 changeover set ups so I apologize if this is a redundant question. I am seriously contemplating making the changeover to E85. Being most of the stickies are from 2007ish I was wondering if there are any suggestions that have been updated or that in hindsight you can recommend?

From what I gather from the stickies, here is what it looks like is needed:

-80# injectors and Chip, unless you want to go #120's and get a modded ECM.
-Hotwired high flow fuel pump- but do you have to go Double Pumps or is there a single that can run this set up with 80's now?
- I read of a fuel pump volt booster- are guys still putting those in?
-New fuel filter capable of running E85
Possibly a larger fuel supply line and use the old supply line as the return. Or is is best just to run new supply and return lines?
Fuel pressure regulator? Do you need to switch this too?

Am I missing any items to make the changeover?

As far as engine internals go: is there any modifications that need to be done or that you wish you would have done in hindsight?

Thank you guys for your recommendations and suggestions.

I am looking to run a conservative tune of around 25#s boost. I have alky now and all supporting mods listed in signature: hotwired fuel pump, 60# injectors, chip, larger turbo, dp, Dutt neck intercooler. Any questions just ask.

80lb injectors, DW300 fuel pump, racetronix hotwire (with new in-tank wiring components too), caspers volt booster, TT chip, powerlogger, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, stock fuel lines and stock fuel filter.

That's all you'll need to fully support your turbo.

80lb injectors, dw 300 pump, tt chip, adjustable fp regulator and most importantly, a dash 6 fp return line. I tried the stock line to no avail.

Yeah folks have mixed results with the stock return line. Worth a shot though. Maybe drill the ends out a bit. Then go -6 if it's not working out. Mine has been ok with stock return.

Thanks guys for your recommendations. What am I looking for as far as a fuel pressure regulator goes? I mean I have seen lots of adjustable ones but I don't remember seeing one for E85. Do you recommend a certain one or a place to get one at?
And just so I make sure I understand, are you saying the stock fuel supply is adequate but maybe not the return line?
And I don't need a different fuel filter? don't the paper pleats in standards one have issue with E85?

Sorry for the redundant questions, I just want to understand completely.

Any adjustable regulator will be fine. Anodized preferably. Stock supply line will be fine. Cellulose paper filters also work fine with E85. The return line might be OK. The common issue is an inability to run fuel pressure low enough at low idle. If that happens try drilling the most restrictive points where the line has fittings. If fuel pressure still too high then go -6 return line.

Most horror stories are due to water in the fuel. Water in the fuel is bad regardless of the fuel type! Gas, diesel, or E85.

Last edited:
Thanks again, you guys have been super helpful. I have an Accufab adjustable regulator right now, I'll see if I can find any info on it to see if there is a reason I can't use it.
I will start looking around for the components mentioned. If I have any questions on specific items to make sure I am getting the right ones I'll let you know.

Maybe I am over looking it, but the only volt booster I see on Casper's site is this one, the alternator plug and play kit: http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?cPath=61_62_5_6_10&products_id=614
Is this the one or is there 1 specific to providing a fuel pump direct voltage that I am not seeing?

Also, on the suggestion on the racetronics hot wire kit, I have a hotwired pump now but I'm not sure who's kit is was as the previous owner did the mod. Am I okay in assuming because it is hot wired now I am good on that requirement?

Kirban's reg, & larger return will eliminate the pressure woes! DW is good pump, 80lb & TT chip combo makes it easy to convert and drives well. Hot wire nec ! new filter and run stock feed line till you plan to stick with E85 then go to next level...........I like it and you will love the smell at idle......

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I have ordered the: TT Chip, 80# injectors and a DW301 pump and kit so they are all coming. I have an Accufab Adjustable fuel pressure regulator currently so will stay with that for now. I also currently have a Hotwired pump so will again hook that up to the DW301. I'll try it with stock lines to begin with and see if I need to run a new return line to be able to regulate pressure.
E85 must have a very unique smell as so many guys talk about it. I can't wait to smell it now!

Once I get the engine back in the car we'll be 1 step closer!

MY MAN: when loading up remember e-85 needs more fuel at motor hence higher pressure, return will hamper this when new pump is in so watch with external f/pressure gauge at idle and as you build boost!! This applies to any fuel.... Enjoy this as E-85 will not smell in storage or stain your shoes when you spill it......but guys have followed me just to smell the chocolate popcorn smell as we tour............Cheaper, cooler and no added instruments to enjoy K/R freedom!!!

Chocolate popcorn? I have heard rum but that description is a 1st!
I will watch pressure. Seems like from what I have read I will know right away as the idle pressure will be high and you run out of room on the regulator and can't bring it down anymore.
Is this a correct assessment of the issue manifesting itself right away?

Pressure won't change until you change it by hand! E-85 takes more than gas to be effective. The 1st thing is to clear all fuel and be 100% E-85 then tune from there! As you drive & tune look for knock & overall results to achieve the best for your car.
E-85 is a little more forgiving as to error, but not for incorrect trial & error!! Enjoy but be careful..................................

Understandable. Not much diff that way than with 93 octane and alky. Just without so many moving parts (ie alky pump, kickon points, amount on the knob control)
I just meant that after initially starting up of the engine on E85, and you idle it to bring it up to operating temp, then you move to setting your base fuel pressure at 43 w line off, if you can't get it down to 43, doesn't this right away tip you off to a high pressure issue?

Maybe I am over looking it, but the only volt booster I see on Casper's site is this one, the alternator plug and play kit: http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?cPath=61_62_5_6_10&products_id=614
Is this the one or is there 1 specific to providing a fuel pump direct voltage that I am not seeing?

Also, on the suggestion on the racetronics hot wire kit, I have a hotwired pump now but I'm not sure who's kit is was as the previous owner did the mod. Am I okay in assuming because it is hot wired now I am good on that requirement?
Caspers volt booster is the one I use. Most Hotwire kits do not include the wires inside the tank and those are critical. You can get the fuel header wiring from racetronix

Thanks again, you guys have been super helpful. I have an Accufab adjustable regulator right now, I'll see if I can find any info on it to see if there is a reason I can't use it.
I will start looking around for the components mentioned. If I have any questions on specific items to make sure I am getting the right ones I'll let you know.
I run an accufab too

Alky is a great tool and Julio makes the job easier with quality products!! The advantage to E-85 , as I see it, is less moving parts, fill / tune & go along with the fact that you can convert back to gas / alky with minimal effort and cost!! In these cars "avg: 28 years old "most of these items should be addressed anyway!!! (Tank/ pump/ sending unit/ regulator/ injectors & lines overall/ filters, etc...) I drive 70 miles r/trip for E-85 every 3 months and store 60 gallons in a dry indoor office environment with no fumes or mess so it works for me!! Try it and let us know.........................