Dyno'd the GN today

Brandon#

I wanted to get a stock'ish baseline so with the mods in my sig it made 253hp, the dyno would not give a torque # for some reason . I was pushing very close to 18 psi and had no knock. I might have been able to squeeze a few more hp out of it, but I already have to add Lucas octane booster to keep the KR away as it is.

I was hoping for a few more hp, as I think everyone does when they go to a dyno, but all in all i don't think it's too bad for a chip, catback, and a few extra psi of boost.

I will post the graph once I get to a scanner that workd... I've attached the PL file. Let me know what you think.

I have a precision FMIC ,a Kirban MAF pipe, and 9" k&N waiting to be installed in the garage. Once I get that installed with a methanol kit I will be back to the dyno.

Attachments

• Dyno 3.dat
    56.1 KB · Views: 104
I can't even remember what stockish numbers are supposed to be since I haven't seen them posted in so long. Are you going to turn up the boost with the meth?

I can't even remember what stockish numbers are supposed to be since I haven't seen them posted in so long. Are you going to turn up the boost with the meth?

Yeah I tried searching for some #s and never really found any. I will crank it up to 22 psi or more and see what it can do when I get some methanol.

22psi, meth, and the FMIC....if the rest of the car is in order you should get close to 375ish maybe 400

Stock turbo right?

22psi, meth, and the FMIC....if the rest of the car is in order you should get close to 375ish maybe 400

Stock turbo right?

That would be awesome, but I don't see the FMIC and 4 psi picking up 125hp or 50% more than what I have now. I hope I'm wrong though.

Yes, the turbo is stock.

Stock 1987GN is factory listed as 245hp - most say that is low. 253hp seems low......

Years ago Ive seen a bone stock with just a KB chip and a hotwire make 255whp on 93 , so something might not be right with the dyno...........subscribed

Last edited:
Years ago Ive seen a bone stock with just KB chip and hotwire make 255whp on 93 , so something might not be right with dyno...........subscribed

You may be right. I thought it was odd that it would not show a torque #. The operator said it had something to do with it begin a v6. I have no idea how the number of cylinders has anything to do with the hp/tq #'s it calculates.

Needless to say I will be using a different dyno next time.

You may be right. I thought it was odd that it would not show a torque #. The operator said it had something to do with it begin a v6. I have no idea how the number of cylinders has anything to do with the hp/tq #'s it calculates.

Yeah definitely go to a different shop.

I wouldn't be too worried about dyno numbers. If you left with more than you came with then it's a good thing. Trying to compare one brand dyno to another is inaccurate. The dynos have a hard time simulating the load and time under load a car experiences in a drag race typically anyway. I have dynoed my own car on two separate dynojets a with a couple days of each other and like I predicted they were within a few hp and the variance was likely the air. I've dynoed plenty of 600whp turbo Regals that never ran faster than 10.50. I've dynoed ones under 600whp that ran 9's. If I was dyno racing Id make a lot of changes to my cars. Lockup converters and much more aggressive tunes that I know would be tolerated on the dyno vs a quarter pass. Possibly and likely resulting in a 100whp difference even though it would probably never make it down the quarter mile without breaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The operator said it had something to do with it begin a v6. I have no idea how the number of cylinders has anything to do with the hp/tq #'s it calculates.

That tells me the dyno operator is CLUELESS !!! Having owned a dyno business ( hence my forum name Dynoman ) , the dyno doesn't know the difference between a moped or a 1000 hp Turbo Buick .

I wouldn't be too worried about dyno numbers. If you left with more than you came with then it's a good thing.

Like Bison said , use it as a tool to see improvements and don't be to concerned about actual numbers , and you still have to tune in the real world of driving the car .

And make sure the dyno guy ain't clueless lol ..that's a scary thought

That tells me the dyno operator is CLUELESS !!! Having owned a dyno business ( hence my forum name Dynoman ) , the dyno doesn't know the difference between a moped or a 1000 hp Turbo Buick .

That's what I thought too. I felt like he was BS'ing me. I won't be back.

According to the dyno I left with 11 more hp than I showed up with by adding a little boost.

The AFR showed to be a consistent 12.5, is that a little on the lean side?

Notice how there is no RPM on the graph. I saw him take what looked like was a tach lead off of one of my spark plug wires, and said something how it won't work with a v6....