Direct Port NX kit?

Absolutely.. but you need small steps in any venture to the large steps :)

I wouldnt mind doing a direct port system.. but still need to get my training wheels off first.

And have already seen the carnage from a simple and small system mistake/miscalculation. Hate to see a large one.. or be on the recieving end of the bills :D

Nitrous is like the biggest Taboo in the Buick communitty.. becuase of carnage seen, tuning, mis-information etc.

And a proper nitrous system needs guage, bottle warmer, purge, and a computer system to activate and deactivate it. Its not cheap. My setup is probably an easy 1500.00 on a simple single nozzle. Guage is over 200 bucks, remote opener 230.. bottle warmer 150.. purge.. meth solenoid.. etc.. and things I forget ;)

Dont mind the FAST :eek: :D

an old friend of mine put a chip in his car (not intended for N.O.S)
and put a 50 HP wet system out of the box with no tuning at all.
it was awsome he beat on it day and night
he used it so much that he had to get the giant bottle for like 400 HP set up for him to cut the trips to the speed shop.
BTW his car was 98% stock
chip 1%
N.O.S 1%

I'll chime in with my two cents...

First things first...

Be sure the motor is "in-tune" before fooling with nitrous... Don't use it as a crutch for a motor/tuning problem you can't figure out.
Be sure you don't have a problem with boost control.. ie "creep". It will be exaggerated with nitrous.
Same goes for KR... If you can make a balls-out 3-gear run with zero knock and good O2's, then you should be relatively safe with nitrous.

Race gas is also a good idea if you wanna play it safe. I use C16 in mine, but have hit the button a few times with 94 octane, with great results...(and I'm only using a scanmaster)
As long as you have the correct chip in the ECM (93street / 116race) and the car is tuned to that chip....you shouldn't get into too much trouble.
Oh, and don't forget the cold plugs... AC Delco R42TS is what I use.

My nitrous system is just pieced together with spare parts...

I use (1) NOS fogger nozzle in the up-pipe with 46N/42F jetting. I also use the bigger race solenoids because they flow better and are more reliable.
The line from the trunk is a -06 line.
I pull fuel from the -04 schrader on the factory fuel rail. Remember, the fuel pressure is boost referenced, so the O2's with nitrous "should" stay very close to non-nitrous numbers. hot/cold bottle temps/pressures and baseline fuel pressure will make O2's fluctuate a little, but should still be in a safe area if the motor is tuned right.

This nitrous setup on my gray T-type netted exactly 102 extra hp to the rear wheels on a chassis dyno. Went from 396 to 498hp.
The biggest improvement was at the dragstrip... where the laggy TE62 spooled instantly on the juice.
Best ET's off the bottle and zero boost footbrake launch were 12.25 @ 112 w/2.20 60ft.
Leaving on the spray from a dead idle was good for an 11.15 @ 121 and a 1.64 60ft. That was from a DEAD IDLE... The turbo spool-up was INSTANT.

I setup my 87 GN the exact same way as the gray T-type.
I will be at Cecil County, MD tomorrow for some testing for the first time in this car...
I hope to put it in the 10's before I go home at the end of the day...

Here's a pic of my nitrous plumbing...

Attachments

• DSC04352 (2).JPG
    DSC04352 (2).JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 319
This is exactly the information im looking for! I am going to be the guinea pig here and go for it, and like rasor mentioned i will start small and go from there to see what happends. If worst comes to worst i learned one hard lesson, but if it is succesful it is another story to tell. Thanks for all the help, If you have any other comments or information, previous knowledge, or pics please post them!!!!!

Thanks, Dan

that looks great dude

I'll chime in with my two cents...

First things first...

Be sure the motor is "in-tune" before fooling with nitrous... Don't use it as a crutch for a motor/tuning problem you can't figure out.
Be sure you don't have a problem with boost control.. ie "creep". It will be exaggerated with nitrous.
Same goes for KR... If you can make a balls-out 3-gear run with zero knock and good O2's, then you should be relatively safe with nitrous.

Race gas is also a good idea if you wanna play it safe. I use C16 in mine, but have hit the button a few times with 94 octane, with great results...(and I'm only using a scanmaster)
As long as you have the correct chip in the ECM (93street / 116race) and the car is tuned to that chip....you shouldn't get into too much trouble.
Oh, and don't forget the cold plugs... AC Delco R42TS is what I use.

My nitrous system is just pieced together with spare parts...

I use (1) NOS fogger nozzle in the up-pipe with 46N/42F jetting. I also use the bigger race solenoids because they flow better and are more reliable.
The line from the trunk is a -06 line.
I pull fuel from the -04 schrader on the factory fuel rail. Remember, the fuel pressure is boost referenced, so the O2's with nitrous "should" stay very close to non-nitrous numbers. hot/cold bottle temps/pressures and baseline fuel pressure will make O2's fluctuate a little, but should still be in a safe area if the motor is tuned right.

This nitrous setup on my gray T-type netted exactly 102 extra hp to the rear wheels on a chassis dyno. Went from 396 to 498hp.
The biggest improvement was at the dragstrip... where the laggy TE62 spooled instantly on the juice.
Best ET's off the bottle and zero boost footbrake launch were 12.25 @ 112 w/2.20 60ft.
Leaving on the spray from a dead idle was good for an 11.15 @ 121 and a 1.64 60ft. That was from a DEAD IDLE... The turbo spool-up was INSTANT.

I setup my 87 GN the exact same way as the gray T-type.
I will be at Cecil County, MD tomorrow for some testing for the first time in this car...
I hope to put it in the 10's before I go home at the end of the day...

Here's a pic of my nitrous plumbing...

great post thanks. i am thinking of doing the same thing

I have a used nitrous kit, with uppipe, solenoids, jets, line, and bottle if anyone is interested in adding their window switch, bottle rack,bottle switch and heater.
Mine kit isnt complete..

My silver 86 ran good on the goods, but this was 9 years ago before chips were so easy to adjust timing with.

PM me if you are interested.
BW

Sorry guys, no timeslips today with the nitrous...

I managed to squeak two 10-sec runs out of it WITHOUT nitrous. :D

First pass was a 10.98 @ 122, 2nd pass was a 10.95 @ 121. :eek:

Got booted from the track after run #2. ;)

Imagine you hit the button and it runs a 9.99 :D on an unopened engine.. :eek:

You guys did great work out there today.. ;)

Imagine you hit the button and it runs a 9.99 :D on an unopened engine.. :eek:

You guys did great work out there today.. ;)

Believe me, I was VERY tempted to throw the bottle in the car. :D

I really wanted to back-up the first run with another 10-sec pass to be sure it wasn't a fluke.
I'm not much of a gambling man... and launching off a transbrake at 15psi is already pretty risky on stock axles. Adding a 100hp shot of nitrous to that is asking for trouble. :D

Honestly, I only expected it to run a mid-11 right off the trailer...and brought the bottle along to guarantee a 10-sec timeslip before parking the car for the Winter. Luckily, I never had to put it in the car. ;)

150 shot

Razor ive got news for you , ive run the 150 shot NX kit in the up pipe , MSD rpm switch , heater and gauge in the set up ......with the STOCK computer......, with 009 injectors ....................and lived ( Look back about 2 years ago in this forum) , granted it was on 116 gas through AN8 lines with a big inline which may contribute to doing so . 21deg timming with a TT chip . With the 150 , 4 times on street tires with out damage 2 times well read on .... but it blew the tires away badly mostly leaving a good amount of black lines until grabing traction ........the 2nd to last time on a different later date it blew the up pipe off the intake at the hose to TB connection due to IMO the 29psi i was running with the 150 shot combined with a stock TB that i had die grinded on to salvage it from an accident . The reason it blew out the head gaskets on the run right after the hose mishap was juicing it w/o realizing the vac came off the FP regulator ..................Not good big smokescreen . Ran the 100 shot countless times with same set up on the same set of stock head gaskets My Point NEVER SAY NEVER yes maybe it isnt smart but it can be done .

The post was April 30th 2004 , Razor your were quite the Nitrous hate'r back then i must say :rolleyes: I just mounted my purge near the hood latch a few nights ago so when its purged it looks like the car is overheating and blowing steam .....................i doubt anyone is going to belive that but it should gather some stupid looks :D

I used to street race with a guy that had a combined 350 shot on a Buick. This was way back in 1988 before most engine management systems existed and before anyone knew anything about the ECM. It lived, mostly.. went through a few engines but for the amount of money the guy was making street racing, he still came out way ahead.

Im waiting for summer now, working on machining a custom upper intake to work with the TA-49 stuck in the stock location, i will be finishing it up soon and then flow benching it to get it right. I guesst this summer the plan is to spray 50 as a start, and go from there, thanks to all the good guys and some good knowledge im now in the right direction!

Thanks,Dan

The post was April 30th 2004 , Razor your were quite the Nitrous hate'r back then i must say :rolleyes: I just mounted my purge near the hood latch a few nights ago so when its purged it looks like the car is overheating and blowing steam .....................i doubt anyone is going to belive that but it should gather some stupid looks :D

there is allways a different way to skin a cat :eek: :p what did ya run for times at the drag's?? :confused:

Im waiting for summer now, working on machining a custom upper intake to work with the TA-49 stuck in the stock location, i will be finishing it up soon and then flow benching it to get it right. I guesst this summer the plan is to spray 50 as a start, and go from there, thanks to all the good guys and some good knowledge im now in the right direction!

Thanks,Dan

ok have to ask...why nitrous?? you have an alky kit and are only running a 49 turbo :confused:

Dont hate the nitrous.. hate the lack of knowledge ;)

If I owned an engine building shop... "Go Nitrous" :D especially with bad tuning ;)

Grumpy thak a look back in the nitrous search around page 7 for full details , car went 11:60s on the 100 shot , it was a stock longblock with a 49 and the ussual bolt ons zero boost launch and a dead posi in with 90 deg temps in summertime . Razor knowledge is gained by doing ...........see you screww up your motor on Nitrous and your forced to learn how to fix it , therefore knowledge gained through evolutionary process :rolleyes:

Grumpy thak a look back in the nitrous search around page 7 for full details , car went 11:60s on the 100 shot , it was a stock longblock with a 49 and the ussual bolt ons zero boost launch and a dead posi in with 90 deg temps in summertime . Razor knowledge is gained by doing ...........see you screww up your motor on Nitrous and your forced to learn how to fix it , therefore knowledge gained through evolutionary process :rolleyes:

I ran 11.9s in 1986/89 with NOS.. I have lived there :p

Snapped a rod right at the wrist pin.. stock pistons, stock rods have their limits.. 28 PSI and 6500 RPM's was mine that day. I like pushing the limits on things.. and the knowledge gained. So when someone asks me how to break things.. been there.. done that ;)

New engine has nitrous.. and will continue the development :D

PS.. better rods and pistons ;)

I'll throw in some hard earned knowledge here.

One step colder regular style plug (non-projected) with the ground electrode cut back to provide almost a side gap. When you start increasing the nitrous, watch the plug heat range. You may need to go colder yet. I'm sure some have gotten away with using a projected nose plug, I'm just suggesting the safest setup for a newbie.

What ever system you end up using to accomplish this, have the ignition timing retard during NOS activation. 2 degrees retard for every 50 HP provided by your NOS system.

I would start at a 50 or 75 HP shot. I'm running a 200 port injected system on mine and it is violent off the line. Rim screws tweaking to the scary max. I'm running alcohol with the system so the actual HP rating of the nitrous system is less than 200. That's just how it is with nitrous and alcohol.

I would start out by injecting it for initial turbo spool only. That would be a very safe beginning point. To this day, that's all I use my system for. The system achieves a boost level of 16 psi in just under .4 seconds. Try to get that on the foot brake. I tried leaving the 200 shot on for the whole run only once. That is another story.

I use a laboratory quality, micro pressure switch to turn off the nitrous system at 16 psi. I have a ton of extra switches if anyone is interested. Not that expensive too.