Diesel oil users?

When I got my GN in '98 I changed to to Mobil1 (and threw in some "LT1" springs). That's what it ran the entire time I had it with a flat tappet cam. Never added ZDDP once. I put a little over 150,000 miles on it doing an oil change every 6,000 miles ...or so. :)

Note: This was with a factory original cam and lifters. They were married and work hardened back when cam blanks, lifters, and oil didn't suck. I'd never try that with todays non hardened lifters and who-knows-what cam blanks.

I use diesel oil, it has 1200ppm zinc and is good for Diesels with turbos. My car runs 90% of the time below 4000 rpms so I dont worry about foaming. And I dont think the oil knows if I turn it up to 5200 ever once in a while. I also use the additive.

I use diesel oil, it has 1200ppm zinc and is good for Diesels with turbos. My car runs 90% of the time below 4000 rpms so I dont worry about foaming. And I dont think the oil knows if I turn it up to 5200 ever once in a while. I also use the additive.
If you want to use the diesel oil,know that VR1 is readily available and has everything you need in the right proportions and comes in the factory recommended 10w-30 grade. I am against supplementing an anemic oil with a ZDDP additive because of the specific relationship between detergents and ZDDP. However,many people do this. It's very important to get the ratio of the two correct. A much worse scenario is to add ZDDP to an oil that already contains an ample amount of it.
I like to let the chemists at the refineries do the mixing. If there were no choice,I would mix. I know that Vr1 and Driven hot rod oil are both conventional oils that contain plenty of ZDDP. There are ,also,good choices of synthetic and synthetic blend oils containing plenty of ZDDP. There is no real need to formulate your own oil and additive package.

i heard the vr1 oil has been changed also, if not i will use it. Thanks for the info.

i heard the vr1 oil has been changed also, if not i will use it. Thanks for the info.
VR1 is one of the oils marketed in response to the need created when some politicians and un-elected officials sought to save our planet from certain destruction. It has plenty of ZDDP.

Cheapest 15/40 dino oil I can find...and Wix filters. I beat on my car every weekend spring to fall at the track between 6.8 and 7.2 in the 1/8th. Never had an issue. When this motor was tore down for a freshening the bearings looked new.

If you want to use the diesel oil,know that VR1 is readily available and has everything you need in the right proportions and comes in the factory recommended 10w-30 grade. I am against supplementing an anemic oil with a ZDDP additive because of the specific relationship between detergents and ZDDP. However,many people do this. It's very important to get the ratio of the two correct. A much worse scenario is to add ZDDP to an oil that already contains an ample amount of it.
I like to let the chemists at the refineries do the mixing. If there were no choice,I would mix. I know that Vr1 and Driven hot rod oil are both conventional oils that contain plenty of ZDDP. There are ,also,good choices of synthetic and synthetic blend oils containing plenty of ZDDP. There is no real need to formulate your own oil and additive package.
I'm glad you posted the "much worse senerio" because I wondered if "too much" ZDDP could be harmful. I considered adding ZDDP to VR1 for extra protection. This is good to know.