Motor advise - noise and low oil pressure

Sometimes leaving the bolt in a few threads and lightly tapping the bolt head with a mallet helps stubborn caps, especially ones that are sleeved.

Pulled out the pistons and crank last night. Wrist pins are 100%. Rod bearings have copper colored flaking and the crank thrust bearing looks bad. So the crank and rod bearings are the only sign. Heads were perfectly clean, couldn't find any material on top. Going to engine builder tomorrow. I know wrong section but as for the turbo. Is it an automatic trip back to PTE? Or should I be looking at it closer. I called them yesterday. I asked what shaft play is acceptable and was told some endplay isn't a real concern as long as it isn't rubbing the housing. Also that endplay isn't bearings it's seals. And a bearing cartridge sounds like as much as the turbo's worth... Thoughts?

I would send the turbo to WORK Turbochargers or Bison for a quality inspection and repair.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Pulled out the pistons and crank last night. Wrist pins are 100%. Rod bearings have copper colored flaking and the crank thrust bearing looks bad. So the crank and rod bearings are the only sign. Heads were perfectly clean, couldn't find any material on top. Going to engine builder tomorrow. I know wrong section but as for the turbo. Is it an automatic trip back to PTE? Or should I be looking at it closer. I called them yesterday. I asked what shaft play is acceptable and was told some endplay isn't a real concern as long as it isn't rubbing the housing. Also that endplay isn't bearings it's seals. And a bearing cartridge sounds like as much as the turbo's worth... Thoughts?

Darren, my buddy who has the fastest 4 cyl in Manitoba does turbos and has a connection with western turbo. I can have him take a look at it for you. I spun a bearing on my old motor and took out my TE62, pulled it a part and the bearing material went into the turbo shaft and destroyed it. An other buddy bought a turbo off line, supposedly a low milage turbo, but the guy didn't mention he spun a bearing, that turbo wasn't too bad, just put new bearings in and balanced it. If you want it looked at let me know?

WOW, what were the symptoms of the engine again? Noise, knocking, tapping, smoking, loooow oil pressure?
You said you sanded the INSIDE of the oil pump housing? I WOULDNT have done that, you just made the clearances in the pump pocket larger, possibly ruining it.
Check your valve spring shims, BUT, they would have a hell of a time making it from the top of the head to the bottom of the pan, its a long trip, I guess its possible, but it would have to travel/float down the head, thru the drainback hole, onto the top of the intake valley, thru the holes in that, past the top of the cam, then past the spinning rods and crank.
Valve guides? hmmmmmm, there again, hell of a time getting to the pan. Either they drop in the cylinder, or they'd have to go up and past the guide seal, and you'd have a hell of a mess.

"Is it an automatic trip back to PTE? Or"
W/ the amt of crap in the system, a rebuild would be @ the top of my list.
Additionally, that crap is in the hyd lifters. They have to come apart and be cleaned out.
As for the roller rockers: I had a set of {"Champions"?]. Of the 12, 8 were locked up. Tom replaced them for me.
[Something about Scorpion having Dove assemble them, and screwing them up.]
In the FWIW dept: Work Turbo in B'ham has a neat turbo feed filter. Am using 1 on my S400.

Main bearings WILL create large chunks like this, ask me how I know. What kind of chip are you running, have you been beating on the car? What kind of oil? Last but not least, do you have added fuel through the chip at WOT? I was coming back from the track and was beating on the car on the highway, got off and had low oil pressure. Fuel diluted the oil and wiped all my mains.

Low oil pressure when hot, and light tapping like an exhaust leak. Yeah I believe fuel dilution was partially to blame for the bearing failure as well. I'm a believer of the old saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". Definitely has been ran rich. But there are a couple of other things that have happened over the years too that in hindsight likely added fuel to the fire. Lifters = check, turbo = double check...