Did anyone here build these cars at the Pontiac G-Body Plant??

Granny 2

Just wondering if anyone on the board actually built these awsome cars. I worked at the Fiero plant and use to wonder over to see these gems being built. :D

T-R's were made in the USA (1G4G VIN's) Grand Prix's were made in Canada (2G2G VIN's)

You are correct. I am talking about the plant in Pontiac Michigan which was the last and maybe the only plant to make the TR's:cool:

The 84 and early 85 variety Regals were all built in Flint. The last 8 of the Vin EHXXXXXX or FHXXXXXX reflex this. The H designates Flint. Production was shifted to Pontiac mid year 1985 when they retooled Buick City to Build the new (1986) Lesabre.

The last 8 of the VIN on 85, 86 and 87 Regals built in Pontiac FPXXXXXX, GPXXXXXX or HPXXXXXX designate a Pontiac built car.

Late 85 Pontiac built TR's and GN's all had Powermaster brakes, Flint built 84 and 85's all had Hydraboost.

All the bodies for the Regal were built at the Fisher Body plant in Flint and then shipped to Pontiac for final assembly. Ever notice that the paint on the front clip is different from the body (original paint job of course)? That's why. Front end sheet metal was painted at Pontiac, Body was painted in Flint.

I often saw truck loads of bodies headed down I-75 to Pontiac. You could always tell the GN's and TR's because they had the mounting bracket for the Powermaster installed at The Fisher Body plant.

Were olds cutlasses built at Pontiac, also? What did the Pontiac, MI plant switch over to after the G-bodies stopped? Front drive regals?

UNGN,
I believe the G-body plant in Pontiac was shut down after the last car rolled off the line. The last car built there was a Grand National on December 28 1987.

The plant would not have been running on Dec. 28th due to Xmas shutdown. I believe the plant continued running the Monte Carlo through the 1988 model year till June 1988. Correct me if I an wrong anyone.
I can't believe no one here on the board worked there.................

I beleive my Unlce used to work in the paint and body shop. I do know that he had brought many o'GN fender emblems home with him (too bad they're all gone). My ole man bought a new craftsman pro toolbox back around 86 or so which was all black with gold annodized handles. He put a couple of those GN emblems on there and it looked like the box came down the same line as the cars.

Sorry I got the date wrong. The final car (a GN) rolled off on Dec 11 1987. The Monte's must have been produced elsewhere...

Years ago there was a person that worked where the GNs were assembled. His name was Robert Carruth. He was very knowledgeable of the turbo regals, as well as helpful to anyone that ask. Haven't seen his name/post in several years. I hope he's doing well.

Jerry
HOW

very interesting hope he is still around and will chime in
love the history