Crank Killer 400 destroys big $$$ LS2

BadAssGN

Certifiable Member
check this thread out I stubled upon, I found it searching for TH400 Yoke #s

This guy got Hosed real bad....

LS2/TH400 7hrs and I destroyed the motor!! - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Also, what do you think about this Valve Body
main.php

This has been covered on here before and is not the builders fault. There are things that can be done to prevent this but its not all in the trans itself. The converter fluid path has some impact.

Did you see Kilgore's reponse that it needed (4) 3/8 vent holes in the turbine ?? I ran mine for years without metered converter pressure(200+PSI) and never had any thrust issues. 3000+ miles to be exact. I firmly believe it is a converter related issue.

BTW - currently at 100+ psi with orfice size less then .100" (depending on trans cooler used.)

Maybe we can get Chris K. to chime in since we did testing with him on this. Would love to get his book on this if he gets time to compile the data and publish it.

Allan G.

The Crank killer part is not the builder, but the burned up clutches tell me there are issues there....

Did you see Kilgore's reponse that it needed (4) 3/8 vent holes in the turbine ?? I ran mine for years without metered converter pressure(200+PSI) and never had any thrust issues. 3000+ miles to be exact. I firmly believe it is a converter related issue.

BTW - currently at 100+ psi with orfice size less then .100" (depending on trans cooler used.)

Maybe we can get Chris K. to chime in since we did testing with him on this. Would love to get his book on this if he gets time to compile the data and publish it.

Allan G.
Please clarify something. You're running 100+ psi measured at the cooler line before the cooler?

Alan, I think you've just let the cat out of the bag. Very ingenious, by the way. Vari-stall?

Still, unless you're willing to tell the complete story about the TC mods, I would not be encouraging people to believe that 100+ psi on the cooler line is normal for a 'normal' TC configuration.

Alan, I think you've just let the cat out of the bag. Very ingenious, by the way. Vari-stall?

Still, unless you're willing to tell the complete story about the TC mods, I would not be encouraging people to believe that 100+ psi on the cooler line is normal for a 'normal' TC configuration.

Don,

No vari-stall yet although I'm working on a prototype that I would be willing to share the details once I prove it out. I do plan on keeping the pressure high for this design. This won't happen for a while since I have a new-born and in the process of buying a house.

My statement was made because the converter design can/will contribute to the thrust failure. Soame converters are built to properly vent and equalize the pressures within themselves. In this case, the charge pressures can be very high without thrust failures. I proven this(by mistake) with my own car. I would never recomend the not doing the modifications to help meter charge flow. I was hinting that my pressures ae high because of my bar and plate cooler(soon to be removed). Although more efficient, also very restrictive. I also proven this with CK's transmission dyno.

Allan G.

Don,

No vari-stall yet although I'm working on a prototype that I would be willing to share the details once I prove it out. I do plan on keeping the pressure high for this design. This won't happen for a while since I have a new-born and in the process of buying a house.

My statement was made because the converter design can/will contribute to the thrust failure. Soame converters are built to properly vent and equalize the pressures within themselves. In this case, the charge pressures can be very high without thrust failures. I proven this(by mistake) with my own car. I would never recomend the not doing the modifications to help meter charge flow. I was hinting that my pressures ae high because of my bar and plate cooler(soon to be removed). Although more efficient, also very restrictive. I also proven this with CK's transmission dyno.

Allan G.
Darn it. Now I've got ideas flying around in my head too.
I'd like to compare notes sometime.

Darn it. Now I've got ideas flying around in my head too.
I'd like to compare notes sometime.

No problem, My design is only in the concept stages with no components picked. I do know what stradagy that I'm going to use for turning it on and off and a rough idea on what I want to do.

This boost-builder/variable stall widget is already patented by FB performance.
FB Performance Racing Transmissions - Chevrolet, Chevy, Buick, Olds

But this doesn't mean that we can't develope are own system.

Allan G.

No problem, My design is only in the concept stages with no components picked. I do know what stradagy that I'm going to use for turning it on and off and a rough idea on what I want to do.

This boost-builder/variable stall widget is already patented by FB performance.
FB Performance Racing Transmissions - Chevrolet, Chevy, Buick, Olds

But this doesn't mean that we can't develope are own system.

Allan G.

What are you guys hoping to achieve over what Rossler and Lonnie's setups are doing?

What are you guys hoping to achieve over what Rossler and Lonnie's setups are doing?

Like a lot of people on this board, I'm a hobbiest and backyard inovator. My satisfaction is building things myself. I'm not hoping to achieve anything over anyone elses set-up other than low cost for myself and to maybe help others build something on there own to whom are interested.

Any reason why I shouldn't persue this other then cutting into someone's profit ?

If Don or anyone else wants to brainstorm and build this then I say why not. I'll enjoy the learning curve.

Allan G.

I am all for the do it yourselfer making things on their own. Lonnie or Rosslers profits do not come before you or I trying to save a buck and doing things ourselves. I have heard that some things that Lonnie was doing is better than Rossler as well as the same vice versa. I thought maybe you might have your own idea to improve upon both.

I like understanding the systems I employ on my car, not to mention it's cheaper if I do it. If it's something I've designed, I will thoroughly understand it.

Just a little word to the wise. Be very careful using the name Vari-Stall or any variation. That is a patented trademark of FB. FB has an attorney that likes nothing better than to drag your but in to court to talk about it. You might not be violating the Patent but you will spend money and plenty of time in discovery. Come up with a new name or suffer the consequences. They don't play games.

Over the last 4 -5 years i have learned more than I ever wanted to know about thrust wear and transmissions that contribute to it. The converter charge pressure is one small part of the puzzle. I would never go into great detail as the debate would go on for months. If you start at the feed and follow the path all the way past the forward drum lube hole into the lube circuit. There are many places in between that contribute. Restricting the converter feed is not always a good idea and does not always fix the problem. Its a band aid that works for most. Ask yourself Why does the feed need to be restricted? It was obvious to me the restriction was down stream. I have several running 80-100lb in the charge circuit with no thrust wear.

Just to let everyone know. I just tested my crank thrust with using Lonnies turbo 400 transmisson. It hasnt budged and we are deep in the 8 sec power range.

Just a little word to the wise. Be very careful using the name Vari-Stall or any variation. That is a patented trademark of FB. FB has an attorney that likes nothing better than to drag your but in to court to talk about it. You might not be violating the Patent but you will spend money and plenty of time in discovery. Come up with a new name or suffer the consequences. They don't play games.

I'm wouldn't be interested in selling anything, even if I did make something that works. Therefore, no patent enfirgement. A patent doesn't stop anyone from making a one-off sample for themselves.

Allan G.

Over the last 4 -5 years i have learned more than I ever wanted to know about thrust wear and transmissions that contribute to it. The converter charge pressure is one small part of the puzzle. I would never go into great detail as the debate would go on for months. If you start at the feed and follow the path all the way past the forward drum lube hole into the lube circuit. There are many places in between that contribute. Restricting the converter feed is not always a good idea and does not always fix the problem. Its a band aid that works for most. Ask yourself Why does the feed need to be restricted? It was obvious to me the restriction was down stream. I have several running 80-100lb in the charge circuit with no thrust wear.

I would agree 100%. I'm a living example and been preaching the same tune. This is why I plan on using elevated pressures in my strategy for refilling the converter.

Allan G.

I'm wouldn't be interested in selling anything, even if I did make something that works. Therefore, no patent enfirgement. A patent doesn't stop anyone from making a one-off sample for themselves.

Allan G.

Its not about patent infringement winning or losing. Nothing stops anyone from dragging you into a court room to talk about it. They make a claim you will need an attorney.

The concept is easy. Stay with it and you will get it. There are many ways to skin that cat.

Allan G.

I'm not a lawyer but I've read up on patent laws pretty carefully, and talked with at least one lawyer, and from all that the above statement is not correct. Selling has nothing to do with determining infringement, it only affects the size of the damage awards. It is the act of constructing the device that creates the infringement, not whether you keep it or sell it or give it away. You can construct a patented device for the purpose of studying it, but as soon as you stop studying it and just use it you are in violation (and no jury is going to believe you are simply studying something pass after pass after pass :)). Besides, I think Lonnies point is really that if they file suit in a practical sense you have already lost because now you have to spend thousands of $$ for a lawyer just to respond to the suit, even if you ultimately win. So might be a good idea to be real carefull with terminology and to read FB's patent to make sure your method is not covered.