could no-start condition come from a bad chip (anti-theft)?

henschman

I have been trying to diagnose a no-start condition in my t-type since last winter. I've tried everything in the flow chart, and there is no sign of anything being wrong with it. i have fuel, spark, timing, cam signal, and crank signal. I have replaced both the ignition module and the coil packs. After all that, it still only cranks.

Thinking back to what happened the night before it stopped running, I recently had another idea about what could have happened. That night, I was doing donuts in the snow with my buddy. I had recently put a Commander chip with anti-theft feature in, and the ECM box was lying on the floorboard with no chip cover installed. I remember that the floorboards were wet because we were getting in and out with snow-covered feet. With that chip, I have to perform a sequence to de-activate the anti-theft feature before I start the car, or it just cranks.

Anyway, is it possible that if the chip got wet, it got damaged so that it wouldn't de-activate the anti-theft and let the car start? that's about all i can come up with at this point. could i test this by putting the stock chip back in? would the car even start with the stock chip, being that i now have 65 lb. injectors?

I have been trying to diagnose a no-start condition in my t-type since last winter. I've tried everything in the flow chart, and there is no sign of anything being wrong with it. i have fuel, spark, timing, cam signal, and crank signal. I have replaced both the ignition module and the coil packs. After all that, it still only cranks.

Thinking back to what happened the night before it stopped running, I recently had another idea about what could have happened. That night, I was doing donuts in the snow with my buddy. I had recently put a Commander chip with anti-theft feature in, and the ECM box was lying on the floorboard with no chip cover installed. I remember that the floorboards were wet because we were getting in and out with snow-covered feet. With that chip, I have to perform a sequence to de-activate the anti-theft feature before I start the car, or it just cranks.

Anyway, is it possible that if the chip got wet, it got damaged so that it wouldn't de-activate the anti-theft and let the car start? that's about all i can come up with at this point. could i test this by putting the stock chip back in? would the car even start with the stock chip, being that i now have 65 lb. injectors?

yes the car would start with a stock chip but you got to remember that the stock chip is for 30lb injectors.

One thing to check is to see if you have 12 volts on onr eide of the injector plugs. if you have no 12 volts that will be the problem. also check all the fuses in the fuse panel.

Most snti theft chip i have seen is the car will start then die. i have never seen a no start condition due to a anti theft chip.

HTH

You may have baked the ECM and not just the chip. I'd try a non-antitheft chip first, but if that fails swap out the ECM for a known good one.

Jim

happend to me so yes it could be from the chip. The guy i got my car from gave me extras so i swapped it out when i got the car home and it started right up thats how i got it not running

I had a faulty Thrasher anti-theft chip. Car refused to start below a certian temperature. It would start fine with a different chip or if the sun was out. :rolleyes:

Good bet one or both shorted out. Like the others said, try a known good one and chip. Let us know your results.

If I remember correctly, someone posted that the Thrasher chip had a problem with minimum battery voltage setting. This caused the Anti-theft sequence to not work if the battery got a low which caused starting problems. I had this problem with the Thrasher I used to run if my car sat for a longer period of time.

David
87GN

As was stated, an anti theft chip will allow the car to fire and run for 2 seconds no matter what. If yours wont even fire, then I'd suspect the ECM.

donuts in the snow :rolleyes: