Complete Suspension Upgrade Project

I can't believe you hacked up a perfectly good GN. Only a Mustang guy would do something like this! What's the matter with you?:rolleyes:

Seriously - it looks GREAT so far. I can tell Alec is a detail man just from the pics.

I told you all he was going to go nuts with it. You've got a big set on you my friend. I'm sure the purists are cringing in horror.:biggrin:

I love the pile of "rust free" trunk floor in the one shot! :cool:I have more sawzall blades if you need them! :D

That looks badazz with that big tire tucked under there like that. I look foward to the finished project.

Chassis Updates...

I'm a little behind with the updates to the backhalf project. Here's some pics of the progress we've made over the past couple weeks. The frame rails are fabricated and installed along with the crossmember. The rear end is fabricated and being fit for final welding. The Outlaw style ladder bars are fabricated and ready for final welding...

We'll be ordering the shocks and axles this week, we're waiting on the fuel cell. I'm also upgrading the complete fuel system with the project, the aftermarket fuel cell started the domino effect. I'll be installing a complete Weldon fuel system, upgrading the injectors and adding Champion fuel rails along with braided lines...

Frame rails installed...

02-27-10009.jpg

02-27-10006.jpg

02-24-10007.jpg

02-24-10010.jpg

Rear end and Ladder bars...

02-24-10002.jpg

02-27-10013.jpg

02-27-10011.jpg

02-27-10012.jpg

Fuel System Upgrade...

02-27-10002.jpg

Man you are moving right along. Looks great! It is going to look seriously bad azz. Thanks for the update. Wish I had your funds...

Bryan

Thanks for the updates! I would love to see a shot of the crossmember for the ladder bars under the car! How long our your ladder bars? As stated before your stuff is top notch! Thanks for sharing and giving some inspiration to us!

Man you are moving right along. Looks great! It is going to look seriously bad azz. Thanks for the update. Wish I had your funds...

Bryan

Thanks Bryan, I'll may need to get a second and third job by the time this thing is finished...:eek:

Thanks for the updates! I would love to see a shot of the crossmember for the ladder bars under the car! How long our your ladder bars? As stated before your stuff is top notch! Thanks for sharing and giving some inspiration to us!

Thanks Dennis,

I have some pics from underneath the car showing the crossmember and how it's tied into the stock frame rails, but they didn't come out clear enough when I uploaded them. I'll shoot some new pics and post them in the next couple days...

The ladder bars ended up being 32" long from C/L of axle to C/L of front heim end bolt...John

Looks good John.

You're really starting to push me............:rolleyes:

Thanks Will...I'll keep pushing you, but I don't think I'll have to lean on you to hard. Your alot like me, you've got it bad brother...:smile:

This is quite the inspiring project. I appreciate the drag set up but I am just imaging the look of the car if you went the pro touring route. With that space in the rear the rim tire size and amount of lowering that could be done. Man o man just a great project

You know John, when you start on the motor and trans it'll snowball just like the rest oof the car.:cool: I see a TA block stage II heads and 88 turbo in your future. Looks good.

You know John, when you start on the motor and trans it'll snowball just like the rest oof the car.:cool: I see a TA block stage II heads and 88 turbo in your future. Looks good.

Thanks Phil...I hear ya, I'll try not to get to carried away. We all know how that usually turns out...:rolleyes:

Chassis Progress Pics...

Hey Dennis, I got by ARK Hot Rods today. Here's a few detail pics of the cross member and the way Alec tied it in...

Instead of butting the crossmember into the stock frame rails, Alec decided to cut a section the stock frame rails out, box and reinforce a pocket for the crossmember to sit in for strength. It definitely was a great chioce to install the crossmember this way. There's still a few braces the'll be adding a little later in the project as the cage is installed and tied in...

Crossmember pockets in frame rails...

03-03-10012.jpg

03-03-10010.jpg

03-03-10007.jpg

03-03-10006.jpg

Crossmember and Ladder Bar Brackets...

03-03-10005.jpg

03-03-10009.jpg

03-03-10008.jpg

Thanks for posting that John, your builder has skills for sure! Your making me think I need to skip the frame notch and go for the back-half! :D I'll keep the popcorn popping, you keep posting the pics! :cool:

John, you've made me rethink my notch. Were going to try something similar to what your doing. I too would like a place for the twins to sit and if I'm going to cut up a rust free GN, I'd might as well cut it good. I'm goint to try to retain the body mounts and refab the rear frame. Will see. If it doesnt work, I'll just backhalf it and be done with it. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Progress Pics...

Hey Guys,

Here's some more pics of the backhalf project. I'm behind on posting pics, but I should be back up to speed by the end of the week. Alec plans to have his work done by the end of the week and the car should be back at my shop over the weekend. The plan is to have the car back together and make the trip to Bowling Green. I definitely have alot of work in front of me, but I've been there before, we'll see how it goes. I'll post some more pics later this week...John

Additional braces that tie the new frame rails into the crossmember and stock frame rails...

03-13-10001.jpg

03-13-10007.jpg

03-13-10006.jpg

Roll Bar...

03-13-10002.jpg

03-18-10004.jpg

03-18-10006.jpg

03-29-10006.jpg

03-29-10005.jpg

Battery Boxes...

03-29-10001.jpg

03-29-10002.jpg