Complete Suspension Upgrade Project

Beautiful!!!
An inspiration to all. Love the brakes. Are those the 4 piston caliper fronts? Even with the manual brakes that must stop far better than before?

Beautiful!!!
An inspiration to all. Love the brakes. Are those the 4 piston caliper fronts? Even with the manual brakes that must stop far better than before?

Thanks...4 Piston Calipers on front and rear...The manual brakes stop really well, a little more pressure to apply the brakes than the Powermaster system. I don't think I gave up anything converting over to manual set-up with the addition of the Wilwood Disc on the corners...

2010 Suspension Revisions...

I'll be revising the suspension this winter...After driving the car this past summer, I decided to take the front suspension to the next level. I've spoke with Will (Bent6) quite a bit over the past year about our GN's. I never was able to get a ride I was really happy with. The car drove and handled pretty good, but was to stiff and had very little suspension travel. I'll be going the same route as Will as he's very happy with his suspension upgrade...

I'll be removing the stock upper and lower control arms, Belltech Drop Spindles, Moog #5658's, QA1 "R Series" Shocks and ATR front Sway Bar. I'll be installing SC&C's Street Comp Stage 2-Plus package and SPC Lower Control Arms w/ Interchangable Spring Shims. I'll be reinstalling the ATR Front Coil Springs that were on the car when I purchased it. I'll also be upgrading the front shocks to a set of double adjustable shocks, I haven't decided which brand to go with yet though...

Big Thanks goes out to Will for sharing his experience with his frontend upgrade and to Marcus at SC&C, he definitely knows his stuff about our suspensions...

I also plan on doing some major revisions to the rear suspension. I'll keep that under my hat until I have all the details work out with my chassis guy...;)

I'll keep you posted on the progress with the upgrades...

Current Suspension parts removed...

01-02-10004.jpg

SC&C Suspension Package...

01-02-10005.jpg

SPC Lower C/A's w/ Howe X-tra Tall Ball Joints installed and tacked in...

01-02-10003.jpg

SPC Pro Lightweight Adjustable C/A's w/ Chrysler screw in Ball Joints...

01-02-10001.jpg

What are you doing with your "old" set-up?

I'll be posting quite a few front and rear suspension parts for sale once I have everything sorted out. As far as the front suspension parts, I'll be selling the Drop Spindles(modified for aftermarket brakes), Moog #5658's(3/4 coil removed), QA1's, ATR Sway Bar...

My lips are sealed until John decides to let the cat out of the bag but I can tell you all this much - it will most likely be THE new gold standard when it's done. I've gotten to know John pretty well over the past year or so and we have done plenty of collaborating on this project. Not many on this board have the ability, resources, or balls to go where this car is going suspension wise. John is fanatical when it comes to his cars and is one of the most over the top car guys I've ever known. He is without a doubt an asset the the Buick community - even if he is a Mustang guy at the core!:D

OK John - there - I've set the bar for ya - don't let us down buddy! How's that for peer pressure!?! :biggrin: ;)

Cant wait to see the new phase! Good luck on the project John! ;)

Gve us a little hint on the rear set up.....please???????? Coil overs?

My lips are sealed until John decides to let the cat out of the bag but I can tell you all this much - it will most likely be THE new gold standard when it's done. I've gotten to know John pretty well over the past year or so and we have done plenty of collaborating on this project. Not many on this board have the ability, resources, or balls to go where this car is going suspension wise. John is fanatical when it comes to his cars and is one of the most over the top car guys I've ever known. He is without a doubt an asset the the Buick community - even if he is a Mustang guy at the core!:D

OK John - there - I've set the bar for ya - don't let us down buddy! How's that for peer pressure!?! :biggrin: ;)

WOW Will...After that I guess I have my work cut out for me. Yeah, way to put the pressure on me. Being a "Mustang Guy" since I started playing with cars, I see some nice similarties between the two car suspension wise. They pretty much share the same platform, the Mustang offers more as far as putting a big tire under it though. There's a ton of Mustang's done up, easy to find a build to get some ideas to work from. The GN's are a little different, being their not a dime a dozen. I'm looking forward to the next step, I'll keep ya posted with the progress...

Cant wait to see the new phase! Good luck on the project John! ;)

Gve us a little hint on the rear set up.....please???????? Coil overs?

Thanks Jeremy, Looking forward to starting the new upgrades. No real secret on the rear suspension, I just want to get all my ducks in a row before I post what we're doing. I'll say this, alot of thought went in to the decision to go to the next step. I'm hoping to have the frontend complete and have car ready to start the rear suspension in the next couple weeks...

Hint...Coilovers are definitely in the build...;)

Thanks Jeremy, Looking forward to starting the new upgrades. No real secret on the rear suspension, I just want to get all my ducks in a row before I post what we're doing. I'll say this, alot of thought went in to the decision to go to the next step. I'm hoping to have the frontend complete and have car ready to start the rear suspension in the next couple weeks...

Hint...Coilovers are definitely in the build...;)

SWWWWWEEEEETTTTT!!!! Will you come over and do mine next?? I've been waiting to do my rear suspension untill I see someone do a good set up. Not really anybody on the board that has done much with the rear. The key I've been trying to balance is Street or Strip. The Watts Link looks like an awesome set up, especially with coil overs but how well will that perform at track??? If you have a chance, PM me with some ideas.

Wow, I cant wait to see the new stuff. Great fab work!!! Thanks for sharing.

Bryan

Progress...

Hey guys, I wanted to give you a update on the progress on the frontend upgrades. I ran into a few glitches with the lower ball joints, but I got everything worked out with SC&C and Howe, so I'm back to installing everything today. Seems Howe labeled a few a their BJ's incorrectly and I happened to get them from SC&C, it took a few phone calls and some head scratching to figure out. Props goes out to Will (Bent6) for helping to identify the incorrect parts and tips on the install. I'll post some pics later this weekend of everything put together and give you the lowdown on the install. Looks like some really nice pieces and looks great all put together...

Rear Suspension...

I finally got all the details worked out with Alec with ARK Hot Rods who will be doing the rear suspension and cage in the car. The idea is to put a 315/60's under the car while retaining the back seat. This probably will go against what alot of the purist would do to their GN's, but I want to do something different to a car that has a killer stance and look once it sits correctly...

We'll be doing a custom built fabricated 9" rearend with all the bells and whistles. The frame rails will be custom built to allow a lower stance and to allow the section width of the 315's to be tucked under the car. We'll be installing a full tub, this will give us the extra height required for the 30" tire we'll be using. The trunk hinges will have to be modified to clear the taller tubs. We'll be installing a raised floor in the trunk to allow the clearance for suspension travel. We'll be installing a fuel cell and relocating a pair of batteries along with a master disconnect switch. A custom set of 4 link bars will be used along with a pair of coilovers. We'll tie everything together with a chrome moly 6 point cage with swing out door bars...

I'll be taking the car to start the chassis upgrades next week, I'll post plenty of pics of the fabrication and progress as we move along...

All the old suspension parts are posted in the Parts For Sale section...John

Front Suspension...

I got everything reassembled. Everything went together nice, actually alot easier then putting the stock parts together...

In the past, with the stock upper and lower A-Arms, I had the frontend apart and back together 5 or 6 times changing springs and installing the drop spindles. I always had to use another person to help reinstall the coil springs. With this set-up, I was able to do everthing myself, defintely a slick set-up...

Here's a few pics of the new parts installed and a couple pics of the car back on the ground. While I had the frontend apart, I cleaned everything up and painted the frame and inner wheelwells. The front wheels and tires on the car are on there as mock-ups...John

01-24-10003.jpg

01-24-10004.jpg

01-24-10005.jpg

01-24-10006.jpg

01-24-10007.jpg

01-24-10009.jpg

That stuff looks familiar.:eek:

Lookin' good John ............and clean as usual.:biggrin:

Backhalf Project...

Things are disassembled and all parts removed...

Next we'll start cutting, no turning back now...

01-30-10002.jpg

01-30-10004.jpg

01-30-10005.jpg

02-05-10001.jpg

02-05-10005.jpg

Parts...

Are those part of the setup for sale? Or is some of that new stuff?

Everything pictured are parts I pulled off the car to sell. I updated the "parts for sale" list today. I've sold some of the parts. I have someone that may be interested in the ATR Stainless Steel Pitbull Exhaust, I'm waiting on his decision. I will post the exhaust for sale if he decides not to take it...

The only parts I'll be able to reuse with my new set-up is the Wilwood Brakes and the Strange 3rd Member...John

Progress pics from ARK Hot Rods...

Thought I would post some updates and pics of the progress on the backhalf project. In doing the backhalf project, the main objective was to retain the back seat. We knew going in that this was going to be a huge hurdle to get over with tucking a set of 315/60's under the car and slam it also...

The plan was to use a aftermarket 4-link suspension with uneven bars to help with retaining the back seat. After a bunch of measuring and looking at every possible option for using the 4-link, we couldn't come up with a way to keep the back seat...

Decision Time...Do the 4-link and get rid of the back seat, or go to a ladderbar suspension and keep the seat. I decided to go with the ladderbar's and move forward with the project. We'll be fabricating a set of custom Outlaw style ladderbar's that will be fully adjustable...

We wanted to get just enough cut out and removed to get the tire tucked under the car and sit them up at the ride height we'll be shooting for. The plan is to set the rear height up at around 25-1/2" - 26", the front height will be around 25" - 25-1/2"...

Here's a few pics of what we've got done so far. Should be ready to start installing the frame rails and tubs next week...John

Cutting out tubs, floor pan and frame rails to fit tires...

02-12-10002.jpg

02-12-10001.jpg

02-12-10006.jpg

With removing the factory body mounts in the trunk, we added a steel tube at the rear portion of the trunk to stiffen and add support in this area. This is welded into the sheetmetal of the trunk and will also be tied into the aftermarket frame rails...

02-12-10007.jpg

02-12-10016.jpg

02-12-10015.jpg

I decided to go with Alumastar wheels, these are 15x11's with a 5-1/2" backspace. The beadlocks are from Champion. This is what the ride height will look like when finished. We'll do the final trimming once we have the frame rails and tubs set in place. Gonna need some big, full tubs...

02-12-10010.jpg

02-12-10009.jpg

02-12-10012.jpg

02-12-10014.jpg