Committment list for Noble 2009

I saw the passs Friday night and it did look pretty hairy lol. It was great to see category 6 out there at the event and thanks for letting it all hang out for the Buicks. You will get'em next year(we may need that 7 sec pass if the Fords regroup). At least we had a good cushion and it wasn't a do or die race... otherwise we may not want ya back... jk :)

hi guys,
well my first shootout is behind me now and i can truthfully say i had a really great time. we arrivied early friday afternoon.went to unload the car and she would not fire a lick.we had just put in brand new plugs for the event. we change them every 3 rounds.that q-16 is death on plugs.any way we pushed the car off the trailer and changed plugs and all was well.(new plugs never been down the track fouled out during starting):
we made a soft pass of 145 mph can't remember et.next pass put the power into it and almost tookout the 300 ft.cone and i lifted. put car in trailer track was not ready for that kind of power its was late and WAY to cold to get any grip.:eek:next day saturday,we put her on the track at about 1:30 pm thinking the track temp was better and it was.how ever upon launching the car i found out while it was better it was still dangerously slick.
the car ran 8.16 @165.65 mph and SHOOK THE TIRES THE ENTIRE 1/4 MILE:eek:i parked the car and told my crew chief we were not running it again until the shootout with the ford which happened around 7:00 pm the track again was to cold to get any real grip but being the crazy guy i am we put more boost in the car and was ready to kick some ford ass.we were goining to try and put a 7 second run up for the buick team just to make everyone happy.:biggrin:how ever that's when it all begin to go wrong:(after turning on the co2 bottle we went into the water and did a nice burnout as planned. at this point my crew chief opens the passenger door and keys the trigger on the laptop to record the pass.i then turn on the nitrous bottle and flip a toggle switch that arms the boost controller.(ams 1000):)
after doining all that the last thing i do is make sure the car is in FIRST GEAR
because if its in SECOND GEAR THE TRANSBRAKE WILL NOT WORK!!!!!!!!
well guess what? i didn't put the car in first gear(fitst time ever):mad:
when we started to stage against the ford that we had covered my 4 tenths of a second:cool:everything was cool,but when i turned on the second bulb and locked down the transbrake and went FULL THROTTLE she pushed through and tuned on the RED LIGHT:mad:race over:frown:
the transbrake only works when car is in first gear.
so my buick friends (and i met alot of you last weekend) i humbly apologize
for my in competent driving saturday night.you'all made us feel at home even though we were along way from home in southern,il. i want to thank all of you for your hospitality you affored us during our stay at your track.
the plaque for top qualifer TEAM BUICK is beautiful and will hang on my wall with honor.we will be back next year good lord willing and will try to win one for the team,until then, god bless all of you and keep you safe, between the lines and off the wall.
your buick friend forever,
bobby don & "CATEGORY6"
(THE OLE MAN WITH THE SLO BUICK):biggrin:

You are the MAN Bobby Don! Thanks for coming down this year, I had a great time talking to you and can't wait to see you guys next year!

Will

hi guys,
well my first shootout is behind me now and i can truthfully say i had a really great time. we arrivied early friday afternoon.went to unload the car and she would not fire a lick.we had just put in brand new plugs for the event. we change them every 3 rounds.that q-16 is death on plugs.any way we pushed the car off the trailer and changed plugs and all was well.(new plugs never been down the track fouled out during starting):
we made a soft pass of 145 mph can't remember et.next pass put the power into it and almost tookout the 300 ft.cone and i lifted. put car in trailer track was not ready for that kind of power its was late and WAY to cold to get any grip.:eek:next day saturday,we put her on the track at about 1:30 pm thinking the track temp was better and it was.how ever upon launching the car i found out while it was better it was still dangerously slick.
the car ran 8.16 @165.65 mph and SHOOK THE TIRES THE ENTIRE 1/4 MILE:eek:i parked the car and told my crew chief we were not running it again until the shootout with the ford which happened around 7:00 pm the track again was to cold to get any real grip but being the crazy guy i am we put more boost in the car and was ready to kick some ford ass.we were goining to try and put a 7 second run up for the buick team just to make everyone happy.:biggrin:how ever that's when it all begin to go wrong:(after turning on the co2 bottle we went into the water and did a nice burnout as planned. at this point my crew chief opens the passenger door and keys the trigger on the laptop to record the pass.i then turn on the nitrous bottle and flip a toggle switch that arms the boost controller.(ams 1000):)
after doining all that the last thing i do is make sure the car is in FIRST GEAR
because if its in SECOND GEAR THE TRANSBRAKE WILL NOT WORK!!!!!!!!
well guess what? i didn't put the car in first gear(fitst time ever):mad:
when we started to stage against the ford that we had covered my 4 tenths of a second:cool:everything was cool,but when i turned on the second bulb and locked down the transbrake and went FULL THROTTLE she pushed through and tuned on the RED LIGHT:mad:race over:frown:
the transbrake only works when car is in first gear.
so my buick friends (and i met alot of you last weekend) i humbly apologize
for my in competent driving saturday night.you'all made us feel at home even though we were along way from home in southern,il. i want to thank all of you for your hospitality you affored us during our stay at your track.
the plaque for top qualifer TEAM BUICK is beautiful and will hang on my wall with honor.we will be back next year good lord willing and will try to win one for the team,until then, god bless all of you and keep you safe, between the lines and off the wall.
your buick friend forever,
bobby don & "CATEGORY6"
(THE OLE MAN WITH THE SLO BUICK):biggrin:

Well it was great to meet you.Hope all goes good with your other car.

Bobby Don: No apologies are necessary. We were just glad that you came and joined us and we certainly want to see you back again for years to come. Heck, Dick Walker still drives and the only things older than Dick are God, dirt and a couple of trees in California and the trees are questionable.:biggrin::biggrin:

My hats off to you; it takes a BIG set to drive a car with that much power.
Very enjoyable to watch!

Phil Engle

I feel this event needed to stay all Buick and Ford only. There were a lot of Buicks this year. No need for firechickens, goats and grandpa caddie's.:eek: This is what makes this event special with just Buicks (on their own class) vs the Fords. Just my thoughts!!:cool:

I feel this event needed to stay all Buick and Ford only. There were a lot of Buicks this year. No need for firechickens, goats and grandpa caddie's.:eek: This is what makes this event special with just Buicks (on their own class) vs the Fords. Just my thoughts!!:cool:

Unfortunately, Buick quit making fast cars in 1987. We had been getting stomped into the ground the past 4 or so years because Team Ford has a lot more vehicle selection, a huge aftermarket, and a vast population of rednecks who are willing to race them.

It is cool to just have Buick cars there, but it was getting to the point where it wasn't competitive any more. Now that the Fords figured out how to turbocharge their 8 cylinders, we needed the extra firepower. If we took the non-Buicks off of our team we probably would have lost again this year.

At first I hated the idea of including Pontiac, Olds, Caddy, Saturn, GMC, etc. but it's a really fun show and as long as Chevy stays out of the mix, it will continue to be a unique event.

It used to bother me that the pontiacs and oldsmobiles got invited to our shootout. Then it struck me that GM has discontinued both Oldsmobile and Pontiac. Buick Motorsports were killed off in the 80s, so it makes since to get a little extra help. How cool was it to see a typhoon and a syclone this year? Look at the Fords, they bring in Diesel trucks powered by international motors....not ford powered! Buicks will still remain the dominating force for our team for many years to come. I think its amazing that our 20 some year old buicks are still a relevant force to be reckoned with. Think Ill go give the t-type an extra coat of wax tonight.

It used to bother me that the pontiacs and oldsmobiles got invited to our shootout. Then it struck me that GM has discontinued both Oldsmobile and Pontiac. Buick Motorsports were killed off in the 80s, so it makes since to get a little extra help. How cool was it to see a typhoon and a syclone this year? Look at the Fords, they bring in Diesel trucks powered by international motors....not ford powered! Buicks will still remain the dominating force for our team for many years to come. I think its amazing that our 20 some year old buicks are still a relevant force to be reckoned with. Think Ill go give the t-type an extra coat of wax tonight.

Ditto! I like the BOP + it's pretty cool. Just one suggestion for the announcers they should always say "another win for Team Buick not just say Buick." Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to bring the Turbo Sky out to play .

And who said there was no performance at Buick after '87 :biggrin: Do you wanna see that granny 99 Regal GS whoop that Stang again! :eek:

Thank you

I would just like to thank our friends in Oklahoma for putting on a great event. I had the time of my life. Thank you again. See you next year.

Thats true, and I stand corrected. The 97.5-04 supercharged cars were good running cars! We need more of them next year. Mark my words, the fords will be out in full force next year so we have to bring the numbers.

Thats true, and I stand corrected. The 97.5-04 supercharged cars were good running cars! We need more of them next year. Mark my words, the fords will be out in full force next year so we have to bring the numbers.

That last sentence was meant for "Black Power" he said there was no performance at Buick after 1987.

We know better! :biggrin:

To Bobby Don of Category6: You have nothing to apologize for sir. A "driver" error happens to all of us at one time or another. I think all of us were just stoked to see you take that bad sumbuck down the track. Slippery or not(it was for sure. I wanted an 8sec. pass out of my pump gas bigblock car but spun to much to the 330' to get it done), you put down some numbers that made the Ford guys groan.

Speaking for myself, I sure hope you can make it next year as watching Category6 get it done is always a treat, win, lose or draw.

To everyone else: I kinda like letting the rest of the BOP's in. I can go see fast Chevys all day at any track in the nation. It's not often I get to see the mostly overlooked other GM brands(that had some sweet cars themselves)putting the pedal down. And.... they are on my "team" to boot. Nice.:cool:

Who doesn't secretly want to see a Ram Air Judge show at the event and hammer it. Or, a new Cadillac CTS-V withe 550hp blower motor running some low 12's out of a new 4300lb luxury sedan. How 'bout a W-30 442 stick car or a 69 Hurst Olds. Man, that'd be cool to have on the team just to see them out there doing what they were intended to do when new. Surely watching that Giant Cadillac Escalade ESV this year run 15.08 BONE STOCK made you chuckle and grin even though it wasn't a blazing ET. It's damn cool for a nearly 7000lb bling mobile to run that time.

I am a Buick man, through and through(LSTType on here knows) but I am a car guy also and willing to admit that there are some pretty sweet cars from other brands too.

Ditto! I like the BOP + it's pretty cool. Just one suggestion for the announcers they should always say "another win for Team Buick not just say Buick." Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to bring the Turbo Sky out to play .

And who said there was no performance at Buick after '87 :biggrin: Do you wanna see that granny 99 Regal GS whoop that Stang again! :eek:

Do I want to see that Regal beat that stang again? Hell yeah I do! Tell him that I must have been hallucinating watching his eliminations pass, I'll have to see him do it again next year for me to be sure :p:p:p

Just noticed the pics were up for this years shootout. Look on the left and you will see the link.

The 2009 Shootout results are posted on OKBuicks.

Final score was 51 to 34 in favor of Team Buick.

See you all next year.

Phil Engle

Anybody know where I can find Videos from last years event? I looked on utube for this year and they are amazing.. WAY TO GO TEAM BUICK!! :D

Juan

Anybody know where I can find Videos from last years event? I looked on utube for this year and they are amazing.. WAY TO GO TEAM BUICK!! :D

Juan

there are quite a few from Notacarlo...can't remember if that was 2008 or 2007. I have a ton up for this last year, username sprayta.