Commitment List for Noble - October 16th 2010

It was a blast! I had a great time. Hope to run again next year. Anyone got pictures posted here on the forums or in an album? I'm ready to see some pics and videos... :)

Nice meeting you man. Car looked really good. I had a very good time, seems like year after year the Buicks just keep coming back stronger. I know a lot of the Ford guys have been switching over to GM motors in their cars, to keep up with the times. Can't wait for next year it was a great event!

I got video of most of the runs. Batteries crapped out on the good camera but I had a backup camera without zoom, so most of the runs are on it. I'll start working on loading them when we get back to Texas.

I had a great time, very good showing on the Buick side seems like there are new cars every year. Wish there were a few ford so every one got a race but I guess it is hard to show up to a race when you know you are going to lose :D

except for 19 of them

I had a great time, very good showing on the Buick side seems like there are new cars every year. Wish there were a few ford so every one got a race but I guess it is hard to show up to a race when you know you are going to lose :D

except for 19 of them

Could always take it back to Buick vs. Ford.

Could always take it back to Buick vs. Ford.

About the time you do that, they'll show up in force again. One of the Ford guys was complaining down at the starting line I quote "Next time ya'll will invite the Mopars" :frown: I was thinking to myself Crybaby! :D

I told 'em ya'll have the Mercury's and Lincolns! :biggrin: And we have the Pontiac's and Oldsmobiles. :biggrin:

I had the only Saturn there (didn't expect any others:cool:) and missed the cut by about 4/10's. I'll have my GN back for next year!

About the time you do that, they'll show up in force again. One of the Ford guys was complaining down at the starting line I quote "Next time ya'll will invite the Mopars" :frown: I was thinking to myself Crybaby! :D

I told 'em ya'll have the Mercury's and Lincolns! :biggrin: And we have the Pontiac's and Oldsmobiles. :biggrin:

I had the only Saturn there (didn't expect any others:cool:) and missed the cut by about 4/10's. I'll have my GN back for next year!

The redneck blue oval buttnuggets sitting above me were crying from the very beginning...mainly about sandbagging. When our slowest qualifiers are running high 12s and 13 flat and theirs are running 16s, big margins of defeat (for them) is guaranteed. I guess they are too stupid to understand how they line up cars, not by closest ET, but by slowest to fastest on each side.

We had a good bit of help from GMC and Pontiac, but I saw 2 Caddys that didn't qualify, your Saturn that didn't qualify (it's pretty fast though), no Hummers, and a very few Olds cars. I'd venture to say we would have had them nailed this year even without the GMCs and Ponchos, but it would have been a lot closer.

Well, my car was 23 years old Saturday, ran it's first 10's and won it's owner $10 for matching 60' times at 1.55 and we kicked the snot out of the Ford's. It was a great day that might not have happened for me.

I bought bigger injectors about three weeks ago and got those installed then headed to the track figuring my first 10 second run was in the bag. Not so. It wouldn't 60' so Dick Walker and Scott Hetzel became both coaches and cheerleaders as we tried to break the 11 barrier in air you could drink. Pushed the car to limit at the line and got a 11.006 with a 1.634 60' on what should have been a great launch and ran out of time. Went home and studied the hell out of the PL files and had others look them over and finally discovered that I was sitting too far back and was backing off the pedal when the car launched. Head back the following Friday, the 8th, and just know it's going to get into the 10's for sure. First pass was checkout time and ran fair but everything was set so went to the max on launch, 4400 RPM and 22#'s of boost, and took off, kinda. No 10 and a 1.750 60' so it was definitely time for a new convertor. Had been looking at a PTC 9.5 nl for about a year and I emailed Dusty Bradford Saturday evening and told him I was in a box and needed a new PTC convertor so I could help whip up on some Ford's the next weekend. He responded and asked if I would call on Sunday around 2. I did and on Monday morning he called me back to get specs and arrange shipping. Convertor arrived Thursday morning as promised and it was installed Thursday afternoon by my good friend and semi-adopted mechanic, Tracy Hooper. I went home and crashed as I had developed a bad sinus infection and was beginning to doubt that I would be able to drive Saturday but I knew Tracy could just in case. Got me a shot and some good drugs and stayed inside all day Friday. Woke up Saturday feeling "okay" and headed to Noble and slowly got the slicks on. The first run was 10.98 with a wish and a prayer tune. Played it safe and took that run and tweaked it a little for the race and ran 10.94 @ 122.98. Conservative tune and leaving about 80-100 RWHP on the table so it still has a lot left in it.

Special thanks to Dick and Scott for the coaching and encouragement and to Tracy for dropping what he was doing to get the convertor installed.

I can't say enough about Dusty Bradford. Complete stranger contacts him on the weekend and asks him to do the near impossible and he gets it done and I can tell you that his convertor works great. After my first pass, I started asking myself why I hadn't I owned one of these for years?

Thanks to Steve Wood and Brian Bissonette for putting up with me for the past few months. Steve said Lawrence Connelly told him 20 years ago if you want to go fast, get a NL convertor.

Phil Engle

The first run was 10.98 with a wish and a prayer tune. Played it safe and took that run and tweaked it a little for the race and ran 10.94 @ 122.98. Conservative tune and leaving about 80-100 RWHP on the table so it still has a lot left in it.

Special thanks to Dick and Scott for the coaching and encouragement and to Tracy for dropping what he was doing to get the convertor installed.

I can't say enough about Dusty Bradford. Complete stranger contacts him on the weekend and asks him to do the near impossible and he gets it done and I can tell you that his convertor works great. After my first pass, I started asking myself why I hadn't I owned one of these for years?

Thanks to Steve Wood and Brian Bissonette for putting up with me for the past few months. Steve said Lawrence Connelly told him 20 years ago if you want to go fast, get a NL convertor.

Phil Engle

Sounds like it all came together in the end. Congrats on the 10 second pass!

Well, my car was 23 years old Saturday, ran it's first 10's and won it's owner $10 for matching 60' times at 1.55 and we kicked the snot out of the Ford's. It was a great day that might not have happened for me.

I bought bigger injectors about three weeks ago and got those installed then headed to the track figuring my first 10 second run was in the bag. Not so. It wouldn't 60' so Dick Walker and Scott Hetzel became both coaches and cheerleaders as we tried to break the 11 barrier in air you could drink. Pushed the car to limit at the line and got a 11.006 with a 1.634 60' on what should have been a great launch and ran out of time. Went home and studied the hell out of the PL files and had others look them over and finally discovered that I was sitting too far back and was backing off the pedal when the car launched. Head back the following Friday, the 8th, and just know it's going to get into the 10's for sure. First pass was checkout time and ran fair but everything was set so went to the max on launch, 4400 RPM and 22#'s of boost, and took off, kinda. No 10 and a 1.750 60' so it was definitely time for a new convertor. Had been looking at a PTC 9.5 nl for about a year and I emailed Dusty Bradford Saturday evening and told him I was in a box and needed a new PTC convertor so I could help whip up on some Ford's the next weekend. He responded and asked if I would call on Sunday around 2. I did and on Monday morning he called me back to get specs and arrange shipping. Convertor arrived Thursday morning as promised and it was installed Thursday afternoon by my good friend and semi-adopted mechanic, Tracy Hooper. I went home and crashed as I had developed a bad sinus infection and was beginning to doubt that I would be able to drive Saturday but I knew Tracy could just in case. Got me a shot and some good drugs and stayed inside all day Friday. Woke up Saturday feeling "okay" and headed to Noble and slowly got the slicks on. The first run was 10.98 with a wish and a prayer tune. Played it safe and took that run and tweaked it a little for the race and ran 10.94 @ 122.98. Conservative tune and leaving about 80-100 RWHP on the table so it still has a lot left in it.

Phil Engle

Congrats Phil, that car is mean and gonna be meaner soon. Glad you hit some 10s!

Phil Engle

It was great talking to you right after the driver's meeting. Congrats on getting your 10 sec slip :D

Glad that you all took care of business, it made me feel better about not being there. My transmission came in Thurs afternoon, and after work Clay and I got the thing bolted up. Friday I wired the transbrake and hooked up the linkage/lines/etc. As of Fri night at 11:00 pm, I was still planning on making it. Took the car out to break in and test out the transmission - it ran fantastic, felt like a whole different car. Ive been chasing this for 3 years and the whole time it was a tranny issue. Got the car back to the house and the coolant temps skyrocketed at idle in my driveway and shot the lid off my alkycontrol remote coolant reservoir. Killed the car and let it sit to cool off. Filled it with race gas and got the slicks ready to go on. Got the trailer hooked up and packed and ready to go. Went over to the car and there was about a 4 ft x 2 ft puddle of trans fluid in my driveway. I got pissed and said I give up - theres always next year.

Luckily after checking things over both issues should be easy fixes. When we took out the plugs in the trans the TV gasket popped out with the plug and we didnt even notice. So hopefully that takes care of the trans leak. And then I noticed that a wire broke off at the connecter on my fan setup so that should be an easy fix too.

I'll be back in 2011 or bust. Looks like Ill be solid in the 11s too. Can't wait to see the pics!!

Anyone have any photo/video albums loaded up? I've been looking for even pics here, so far all i've found is on the OKBuicks.com. I wish I would of brought a camera, alot of nice cars I could of gotten pictures of. Plus I should of gotten a few of my car racing and on the slicks, that would shock the hell out of my coworkers. They think i'm full of it when I tell them I take her to the track. (I guess FWD family cars can't race on a track?). Course they don't know the difference between a 10 sec car verses a 17 sec car so whats the point in trying to explain? LOL :confused::D

Go to you tube and use this search:

Ford vs. Buick 2010 Noble Oklahoma Thunder Valley

okbuicks.com website has about 150 pictures posted in the picture section.

Phil Engle

JJ's (Waco84GN) supposed to upload more but the family is at BG right now. He'll probibly do it when they get back.

Wish I could've been there but it looks like there was a lot of sandbaggin from the ferds. Hopefully next year though. Great vids BTW.