Car slowed down!

plugs looked good...opened the radiator cap...it looks like chocolate milk :( ....
how does the car still run good when normal driving and not too bad under part throttle boost and still have a blown HG?

Yep you blew a HG. :frown: Where do you live?
What Buick guy's are near you?

You have got to run alky with pump gas, or Race Gas. When going to the track. VP C-16

I live in Wapakoneta OH, theres two buick guys that live near...ill have to try to recruit them for some help...thanks for all of your help on here...time to get dirty :mad:

From looking at your signature, you have some money tied up in that motor. Is there any active Buick car clubs around you? I believe that you need to figure out what happened that you blew a gasket...with the boost @14-15 lbs as stated in your 2nd post it should not have let go.... You have other issues I'm afraid. It sounds like the car is pig rich in fuel... is the chip the correct one for the injectors?

Chuck

i bought the car with motor work already done...1st mistake right there im thinking. The chip is matched with injector from Turbo tweak. For having a blowin HG this thing doesnt run half bad if thats the problem! i have a few people i may be able to call on to help with this thing thought i would try here first...ill keep you all posted..thanks again
Austin

i bought the car with motor work already done...1st mistake right there im thinking. The chip is matched with injector from Turbo tweak. For having a blowin HG this thing doesnt run half bad if thats the problem! i have a few people i may be able to call on to help with this thing thought i would try here first...ill keep you all posted..thanks again
Austin

you blew the gasket in the coolant passage and oil passage when you take the head off you will see a trail where the graphite is eaten away. when you are normal driving the fire ring is intact and it wil run good. but under boost the head will lift a little from stretching the bolt and graphite missing and the boost will go in your coolant system

Austin,

I was at Bowling Green with my fellow MAGNA (mid atlantic grand national association) members and one of the cars blew a head gasket. It was on a motor that was just freshened up, and we think since the heads where not re-torqued that it lifted a little and caused the chocalate milk shake. Now this situation is that he runs 30 psi on a pure race car, that has the stock turbo, intake, heads etc. Anyway my point is that we took the car back to the hotel and wrenched on it untill the new gaskets where on (1 am). Then the next morning, we re-torqued the heads and buttoned it back up, he was racing again by 11 am. So it's not the end of the world to replace head gaskets, but it does take some time to disassemble, clean, clean, coat the threads with sealant (only the side that goes into the block). And torque back down in steps... then reassemble everything. But don't drive the car like it is, drain that oil and coolant and replace the head gaskets, get new ARP studs if you can afford it. Here is a link to the milk shake thread What "milkshake" oil looks like... - TurboBuicks.com
Good Luck,

Chuck

Hey Chuck,
Thanks for the post and the link...ill hopefully have the gaskets done by this weekend...the only shame for this story is on the mustangs behalf....03 GT still got beat :biggrin: gots to love the TR...good thing i caught it before it was too late!

just by searching other post....should i try to simply re-torque the heads since this is a fresh engine?

You better just bite the bullet! To just retorque now will not get you any "good performance runs" & likely cause MORE problems down-the-road (& perhaps stranded on-the-road).

P.S. I'm now curing my milkshake from blown intake gasket via backfiring while testing higher boost/alky. No KR or expected HG problem...

You can try that but, you need to change the oil and coolant, maybe several times untill it clears up. If it where mine, I would take the heads off and see what happened... before I even started the motor again. Things can get very exspensive if you do bearing damage and need to pull the motor out... but of course don't forget you still have a problem as to what caused this to happen.

Chuck

yes i definatley plan on changing all the fluids in this thing..if the re-torque doesnt work i will take it to my mechanic and have him tear this thing down to find the problem...thanks again guys!

yes i definatley plan on changing all the fluids in this thing..if the re-torque doesnt work i will take it to my mechanic and have him tear this thing down to find the problem...thanks again guys!

This might work for "Sunday cruises", or to just get it to your mechanic--but you better not put your foot to it!
If a Camaro or Mustang pulls up along-side you, you need pretend you don't see them...