Camshaft position sensor problem?

Slowhawk

Started the car today and it sounded/ran horrible till it warmed up.Felt like it was cutting out cylinders randomly.Also there is a knocking sound when the engine is cold,but smooth when fully warmed up.

Does this sound like a Camshaft position sensor?

Try looking at simple stuff first, like making sure the state of tune is good, then verify and adjust at the IAC and TPS.

check end play on your crankshaft, should not be more than 40 to 70 thousands, if that is ok check your crank sensor it may have come loose and could be rattling, another think to check is take a long screw driver and wedge it between the cam sensor and the pump, start the car and place slight pressure on the cam sensor sideways toward the wall, if the noise goes away or becomes louder you found your problem, and the problem is cam sensor gears are worned out, oh and one more thing, if you recently changed your oil and have replaced the oil filter it could be the return on the oil filter is not working properly allowing the oil to drain overnight thus when you start the car in the morning it has to completly prime the whole engine over again.. this should keep you busy for a while, let us know how it turns out and what the fix to the problem is when and you do find out....

Thanks guy's. I started it up and moved the sensor,the car ran alot better.I'm thinking the sensor is worn since I've had a few problems with it recently and seam to fix it by moving the position alittle bit at a time.Seams like I might be adjusting it for gear wear.Should have a new one friday.

Crankshaft Endplay...40 to 70 thousands...:eek: ...I'm sure that was a typeo...if you have that much play you have much bigger problems...endplay should be around .004-.010...

.004-.010 would mean hundreds, car measurments are measured in the thousands ;).. i am sure that is that i meant..I know for a fact that the end play on my GN is about the thickness of a Penny which is about 60 thousands and so is every other motor i have measured in the past., and my motor is tight with no problem's at all..

Originally posted by MSDGN
Crankshaft Endplay...40 to 70 thousands...:eek: ...I'm sure that was a typeo...if you have that much play you have much bigger problems...endplay should be around .004-.010...

Well,I let the car sit for 8 hours and started it again.It stuttered once and held idle fine.No engine knock while idling.So now I'm convinced it was the camshaft position sensor.There could be a posibility it moved but I will replace it anyway's.

the cam sensor needs to be adjusted properly there is a tool that is sold by kirbanperformance and postom electronics to adjust it, make sure you do that when you put the new one in, it's not meant to be moved once adjusted, or else you will end up having start up problems..

WOW!!!

.040--.070 crank end play?
I can/t believe some info I am seeing lately.
Some people believe everything they see here as gospel.

Originally posted by Slowhawk
Well,I let the car sit for 8 hours and started it again.It stuttered once and held idle fine.No engine knock while idling.So now I'm convinced it was the camshaft position sensor.There could be a posibility it moved but I will replace it anyway's.

so I guess ya didnt need our input :D I love to see people blow $$$$ :rolleyes:

My car has the same problem when starting cold. It stumbles like it's randomly missing cylinders until it warms up. Also, a loud tapping comming from what seems to be the cam sensor. However, I have to agree with 87buick3825. I'm not convinced the cam sensor has much to do with how well the car runs. www.gnttype.org gives a good description on the function of the cam sensor.

I also found this one on the other site....

http://www.turbobuick(s).com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17681

remove the ( ) around the s to get there. This is the best info on how the cam sensor works I've seen to date.

Originally posted by darkred87T
My car has the same problem when starting cold. It stumbles like it's randomly missing cylinders until it warms up. Also, a loud tapping comming from what seems to be the cam sensor. However, I have to agree with 87buick3825. I'm not convinced the cam sensor has much to do with how well the car runs. www.gnttype.org gives a good description on the function of the cam sensor.

Well, I proved to myself that the cam sensor WAS the cause in my case.

Move the cam sensor and see how it affects the way the car runs.It does.
Also the cam sensor on my car was timed in perfectly twice.Both times it ran like crap, so I needed to advance it alittle bit.

Slowhawk, did you replace your cam sensor yet? I replaced mine yesterday with a good used one and it cleared up my knocking noise, however, the car still stumbles when it warms up. Just curious because it sounds like we had the same problem. BTW, I'm Darkred87T, just using my brother's ID.

Originally posted by turbojimmy
Slowhawk, did you replace your cam sensor yet? I replaced mine yesterday with a good used one and it cleared up my knocking noise, however, the car still stumbles when it warms up. Just curious because it sounds like we had the same problem. BTW, I'm Darkred87T, just using my brother's ID.

Forgot to pick it up last friday.Hopefully will get it monday and try it out.

.1=Tenths
.01=Hundredths
.001=Thousandths
.0001=Ten Thousands

I always shot for .005-.008 of thrust clearance, after seating the thrust bearing.
If you have .04-.07 Thrust on the crank, your engine is living on borrowed time. .:eek:

As already mentioned, the cam sensor will not cause the stumbling/issue unless it's 180 out. It does not adjust timing for fuel or spark, only is a reference to which cylinder. Look on turbobuick.com (but add an s :rolleyes: ) and search for "cam sensor and timing Q". Some very detailed results from a test with a scope.