Belt tensioner

Just a side note to this saga. I was looking to use a serpentine on a BBB455. I could have gone with the turbo setup but I bought a couple plates to adapt the mid nineties sbc serpentine setup. Parts for that are everywhere. Is it something people would be interested in I can look and see where I got the adapters(they came from an enthusiast) then the tensioner and other parts could be used. Just an option . Not sure how it would fit with the other turbo specific stuff.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Rich: Will it still have the provision for the alternator mounting on it? Or will it require a different method for the alt? Maybe a picture of your Big Block set up...

Thanks-

It is a whole setup to use all the sbc accessories in the sbc locations. Like I said, not sure it would work with turbo stuff.

I posted about a year ago that I had one for sale. Lew_86 stepped up to the plate and bought it. I think I even posted in this thread that I still had it. Plus, my price was $100 less than a vendor who was selling the same thing. Maybe you guys thought I paid $45 like the Amazon price showed and that I was making a killing by asking $200. So did I pay $45? No. I paid a lot more. Did I make a little money on it? Yes. When I was searching for a power steering reservoir, I paid $125 to a guy on Ebay for a NOS one. Did I need one and nobody else had them? Yes. Did he make money off me? I'm sure he did. Moral of the story...if you see something you want, buy it when you can. I just bought a part for our cars today from Advance that appears to be the last one. I checked RockAuto, Oreilly's, Napa, AMAZON, and Autozone. Nobody else had them. Advance can't even get anymore. Tomorrow I'll call the Buick dealer to see if they are truly discontinued. I'll let you know what part I am talking about tomorrow.
Ok guys/gals here is the scoop. The part I am talking about is the VSS (also known as the buffer). Vehicle Speed Sensor. Needed for your cruise control, speedometer, and torque converter lock up. Part number 25007463. It is a small blueish box located under the dash on the drivers side. It is indeed discontinued. I purchased a couple of the remaining ones. I left you guys two of them. Early bird gets the worm. There is one each located at the following dealers: Teague Chevrolet 903-887-4111 and Ray Jones Chevrolet 936-598-6263. List price is $140.92 but you shouldn't have to pay over $80 since it is discontinued and they want to clear them from inventory. UPS ground is about $10. Good luck and let us know how you do.

There must be some way to graft on a different spring part to an original bracket.

I thought about taking one apart to see if it could be rebuilt

Careful, I about broke my hand when one broke on me...not from the GN but my buddy's SRT8 charger

Thanks for the warning.

Ok guys/gals here is the scoop. The part I am talking about is the VSS (also known as the buffer). Vehicle Speed Sensor. Needed for your cruise control, speedometer, and torque converter lock up. Part number 25007463. It is a small blueish box located under the dash on the drivers side. It is indeed discontinued. I purchased a couple of the remaining ones. I left you guys two of them. Early bird gets the worm. There is one each located at the following dealers: Teague Chevrolet 903-887-4111 and Ray Jones Chevrolet 936-598-6263. List price is $140.92 but you shouldn't have to pay over $80 since it is discontinued and they want to clear them from inventory. UPS ground is about $10. Good luck and let us know how you do.

A search for 25007463 also turned up these. Quantities updated within last couple months:
  • Chicago Auto Parts
  • Saint Ann, IL 60964
  • Chevrolet Exchange
  • Lake Bluff, IL 60044
  • Dotson Chervolet
  • Big Stone Gap, VA 24219
  • B&B Auto
  • BRONX, NY 10460
  • Friesens Chevrolet, Inc.
  • SUTTON, NE 68979
  • Dan'S Obsolete Gm Parts
  • Chinook, MT 59523
  • USD INC
  • Phoenix, AZ 85034
  • Craig Motors -Napa Gm
  • NAPA, CA 94559
Standard, Echlin, and BWD all show direct replacements for 25007463 in the $60 range.

<sorry for the tensioner thread hijack>

Last edited:
I love all this superhero talk on rare parts. I got 3 cam sensors sitting in my garage. I should sell them for 100 bucks a pop to "help" everyone lol

I am much more appreciative of the buick guy that I buy parts from. A few people around town have said before "oh he's proud of his parts" and it would seem so I bought a NOS cam sensor and a few small parts from hit for like $40. Wonder if he's got a tensioner...

How often do these go bad??

Mine is original and 26 years old and works fine.

If I had the mentality of buying every discontinued part in hopes that I might need it I might as well just buy another GN or a SWEET/T.

LOL right! I got spare parts but it's all stuff I can't get from the local parts stores without waiting a fricken week. Most of it is aftermarket but I've done my research. I laugh at the weirdos that buy 30 dollar radiator hoses just because they are delco. NOS badges that just sit in a package, radio knobs, radio delete plates for 300 bucks (pay 300 bucks to NOT have a radio:confused:). It's just silly. Someone will pick up the tensioners. Probably a vendor and sell them for 400 bucks to help keep our buicks alive. No wonder these cars get swapped with truck 5.3s and ebay turbos.

My tensioner has a busted ear too but I'm not paying 300 bucks to get another one. Cheaper just to throw another alternator on it every few years.

My tensioner has a busted ear too but I'm not paying 300 bucks to get another one. Cheaper just to throw another alternator on it every few years.

As a welder I will just weld material or broken piece back on there and machine it back to new.

I will never pay exorbitant prices for any part unless it renders my car useless, and even then I draw the line at a grand. LOL

Yeah but I can't remember if the old one had a squeaky pulley or if the spring was bad. Hey, not everyone can spend close to a decade flushing money and wasting time on a buick.

Ya, the springs do go weak. Congratulations for yours lasting 26 years. Mine didn't. :rolleyes:

Ya, the springs do go weak. Congratulations for yours lasting 26 years. Mine didn't. :rolleyes:

Maybe mileage has something to do with it???

My tensioner has 62,000 miles on it.

Maybe I'll keep my eye out for them a little closer knowing now that they are TR treasure.

My tentioner has over 1/4 million miles on it. Still quiet with a GN belt not a TTA belt. Perhaps it's my southern air?? :)