The Cosworth pumps have 1 large pressure pump 100 psi 2 or 3 scavenge
pumps ( 3 for turbos) and 2 water pumps. The water pumps push water
thru the freeze plug holes and the coolant comes out holes in the front
drilled in the front of the heads. In the 1980's Buick was aggessive in not
only drag racing but Imsa gtp ,gtp-lights,gto trans -am, am-challenge,
and Busch GN.
hope this helps
Steve Rowan

Here's a few photos of the aluminum stage II Brayton Eng. block designed for Scott before he passed. The block is reportedly capable of 700-800hp per Kenny D. I would consider selling if the price was right.

Attachments

• AlumStageII.jpg
    AlumStageII.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,180
  • AlumStage2Sleeves.jpg
    AlumStage2Sleeves.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,178
  • AlumStage2Front.jpg
    AlumStage2Front.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 1,170
  • AlumStage2Caps.jpg
    AlumStage2Caps.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,170
Here's a few photos of the aluminum stage II Brayton Eng. block designed for Scott before he passed. The block is reportedly capable of 700-800hp per Kenny D. I would consider selling if the price was right.

Just like the two I used to have. Lot of fun having them, but budget couldn't build them.

Attachments

• Indy al front cover2.jpg
    Indy al front cover2.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,156
  • mocked block.JPG
    mocked block.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 1,130
I have those intake stacks. Got them when musclemotorsports was auctioning off a bunch of indy stuff. They're on my "Indy Light" in the basement.

Is that your car? Man would I love to have an Indy car to hang in the garage.

4hndl6u.jpg

A few more photos

I hope I am not boring everyone

march chassis 007.jpg

pictures 018.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

• scanner.jpg
    scanner.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 940
BuickGTP, you just keep posting as much as you want. I for one will never get enough of it. You don't see this everyday. I appreciate the time you're taking to share. Thanks.

this is the stuff that most people have never seen. I could stare at the pics for hours, studying them, paying attention to the details. To sum it up.... B!TCHIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep em coming. Id like to see more about that fuel management setup from buick.. thanks jeremy

yeah i have never seen this aspect before and am completely blown away by it. also, how many years did it take you to get that thing clean to your standards? it is very detailed. did you disassemble much of it to look over stuff or is this pretty much how you got it? a little of the cars race history and owner history would be a nice touch as well. on another note, i see the porsche wastegates on there, is that a G50 transaxle too?
Gary

To those who've commented "Post more I can stare at cars like that all day" I recommend you come to the vintage road races at Road America (Elkhart Lake WI) in July. There just lots and lots of very 'stare-able' cars like that - not all Buick engined though! Lots of 'real' race cars like F1, Indy car, GTP's etc as well as the usual rash of little furrin cars that go road racing. I go every year to compete but I always find time to wander around and stare. It's July 18-22 this year - best to avoid Sunday because teams and cars start packing up and going after their race.

Nashty - that's not an Indy Lights engine you've got there - Lights engine were/are naturally aspirated and have throttle shafts in those intakes. Yours must be from a turbo GTP or similar - I assume.

buickGTP - do you race your car? - with HSR West?

I'm restoring a Lights engined F3000 car. Engine was originally built by Lee Brayton in Michigan (father of the late Scott Brayton). Hope to have it running this year - been far more work than I ever envisioned - and I've learned a lot about maching! Every time I find another little problem it's get another billet and start machining. Some recent examples at dereklola's photos and albums on webshots

TurboDave - I've still got your aluminum block - plan to use it to build up a second engine after I get the car running. I'll try to remember to contact you next time I drive past Sevierville area.

Derek Harling - dereklola

Very nice indeed, I don't mean to poke my nose where it don't belong, but I'm curious what a car like that is worth, $100k, $200k? I never seen one before like this

I will try to answer a few questions

A. itsnotagn The gear box is a March 86T It was produced by March
because the Hewland units would not take the 700+ ftlbs of torque
that the BMW,Buick at Nissan motors produced.The transaxle was
also sold to Jaguar and other manufactures. The car was originally
made for BMW it was quite successful its first year out they won
1 race and should have won 4 It was driven by David Hobbs
( speed ch F-1 Commentator) and John Watson F-1 champ The car
was faster than the Porsche 962 and could have won a lot of races
but after 1 year Bmw decided to drop out of the Camel GTP series.
The car was sold to Conte Racing in LA in 1987 and Buick motors installed
and was raced by John Paul Jr and G. Morretti owner of MOMO Corse
I bought the car in 1990 as a roller (no engine) in 1992 I bought the
Motor from BMS Flint and in time figured out the electronics I have
raced it several times in club events

Maverick I think is is worth about 170K

Jpwalt1987 The fuel Managment system is 1987 technology but
works well It consists of a ECM ,Injector driver,calibration module
and a Ignition module plus all the other map,mat cts,tps,fuel reg
and relay plus cam and crank sensors The book has saved my
bacon several times and has mant trouble shooting diagrams. By
using a volt meter or the scanner I am able to trouble shoot all
of the modules, sensors and relays

hope this helps
Steve Rowan

p.s. If you are ever in the Henderson or Vegas
area give me a call 702-564-3236

What serial number is your car? BMW originally bought 4 cars in 1986, two were crashed and replaced by later ones. Moretti bought two for 1987/88. His other one, 86G-10 I believe - one of the BMW replacement cars - was converted to Buick V8 for 1987 then to V6-T for 1988. It is currently for sale for $250,000.

Interesting chapter of road racing.