A better flowing 3 bolt???

BetMinesFaster

Turbo LSX Trader
I recently read that precision has released some new turbine housings that are 3 bold and flow alot better than previous 3 bolts?? Anybody confirm or deny this? Like a GTH? I have a PT71GTQ and was in the process of converting to a 4 bolt, But decided that if they make a better flowing 3 bolt id rather stay that rout so I can go back to a internal gate with a big DP to clean up the under hood some more.....Thanks in advance for any info! Thanks, Ryan

How fast you want to go? I have the TSM PT71GTQ and have been running 9.40s. The four bolt flange would make it easier but don't know if it is worth it.

Its just supposed to be a stupid fast street car....:eek: However, the housing has been beat to hell trying to remove it from the CHRA to have it ceramic coated, so I figured if im buying the housing I might as well go 4 bolt?? I have to buy another down pipe anyways since a 3" is pushing it with a 71GTQ so I just figured on a new 4 bolt housing, welding a new flange on my TA's, fabbing in the piping for an external gate and running the balls outta it....But I swear I just read on this forum that precision had a new far better flowing 3 bolt housing out so I thought id just go that route??.....:confused:
TIA....Ryan

I know that they are using different "boosted" turbine wheels now, I am not aware of them having cast new housings.

I called and talked to jeremy at precision today, He said they do have a new 3 bolt housing design that flows much better than the older ones, but it does however use a new wheel, he is going to talk to his builder tomorrow and get me a price on sending my turbo to them, having it rebuilt with the new wheel, and the new housing, ill post some info tomorrow once he gives me specifics and prices. I told him I wanted to know the difference in the wheels and the housings before I spring for the work.....:biggrin:

Ok. so I talked to precision again today, he in formed me that the new housing and wheel is an HPQ, and its the new boosted wheel, He said its better flowing but not dramatic like I was lead to belive......so.......spring for the 4 bolt or go HPQ.......That is the question......:frown:

You could just buy a new exhaust housing and call it a day. Like Jason said, the turbo will already take you into the mid 9's.

Im still considering that as well, I just know that there is power to be unleashed by freeing up some restriction in the housing....

I too would like to upgrade my 3 bolt but it really dosen't make sense to do so if the gains are not going to be dramatic. So I think I'll just wait to upgrade the DP and gow with a 4 bolt. ALL of the best turbos are now 4 bolt. 3 bolts are like 1st generation night vision. They definately work, but not as well.

I guess one has to ask the question as to how fast you want to go on the street. I think anything mid to high 9's is more then a handfull on the street. Without traction control I think it's going to be hard to handle a more powerful turbo without constantly melting the tires.

I think I'm gonna wait for the new billet 76 BB wheel to come out or go TT. Not really sure yet.

There was a member who did some dyno testing and changed nothing but the housing and required items to 4 bolt and gained like 46 hoesepower! Thats a pretty big gain!

Any news about the new housing? Doe's it exist or not?

If you read the posts you would see that he explained the new housings are cut for a new turbine wheel(HPQ) Id bet they still start with the sasme housing they use for a GTQ

If you read the posts you would see that he explained the new housings are cut for a new turbine wheel(HPQ) Id bet they still start with the sasme housing they use for a GTQ

Bison is correct! Is the same casting, just cut differently, and the gain from GTQ to HPQ is minimal to justify an upgrade, unless you were going from something much smaller to it:biggrin: