87 GN EFR Build

Have ya'll talked/PM'd GNX405 on this board? He's a Borg Warner turbo design engineer and may have some insight for you!

What intercooler would you guys use? Still haven't decided on that

You need a precision intercooler if you can find one used if not, I would say go with one from RJC. For that kind of power, I would not mess around with alky and pump gas. Run that monster on E85.

TurboDave, we are using the integrated BOV port that comes on the turbo, the turbosmart fits into the factory location.

Brian, we looked over BW's matchbot extensively to pick out this model. Our wheel numbers will be just shy (at 18-22psi) of what you want but response should be phenominal. It's a street car(stock block as well) that I may put on the track every now and again so driveability was a big concern. Of course, with race gas or alky and 30-40psi it will run with the best of them. The 9180 should breathe easy at 500 and still really respond well. Looking forward to seeing how your project turns out as well. Keep us posted.
I considered the 8374 but the 9180 will be happier on this combo. Should be 60lbs/min on the low setting. Most hits from 4000+rpm. Cam was ground with a tighter LS than I would use for drag racing to increase ex pressure at lower rpm and really get the rotating group moving. Power should be very strong from 4500-6000@ 2:1 pressure ratio. Gearing plays a large role. The compressor maps are nice and wide on these efr turbos.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Absolutely. You really can't go wrong on either of the top 3 EFR choices for sure. I honestly didn't think I would need to make what the 9180 makes hp wise hence the smaller one, however, I don't think based on the compressor maps there is much difference in spool. The 9180 is going to be a beast for sure. IIRC it will bolt right in the 8374 housings so when I get tired of the power I have (and have the money for a new bottom end), I will certainly move up. I'm so impressed with everything I've seen on them so far, I can't wait to try it on the street.

Reggie, the pump E85 around here is waaaay to sketchy so I'm going to tune on 93 pump. I would like to use E85 if everything was a little more consistent. There is the option of buying the E85 in a barrel but it doesn't seem like something I'm willing to deal with initially. I might make a tune on VP E85 to document the difference in flows/temps/hp/tq. Actually, may document several fuels. I am going to do alky injection at some point but there's a couple different reasons for that.

What are the good front mounts out there other than the precision and RJC?

EGT Interface.jpg

Getting this little bad boy from Brian Macy @ theEFIstore.com/horsepower connection to keep track of the EGTs and before/after intercooler temps. It uses the CAN interface with my XFI so that should be interesting and will leave inputs open for other things.

Brian is my mentor and it would be disrespectful to purchase a product he sells to buy from someone else. No disrespect to Cal at all.

Have ya'll talked/PM'd GNX405 on this board? He's a Borg Warner turbo design engineer and may have some insight for you!

I have not spoken directly to John, but I am pretty sure he is aware of the project! It is great to have a Buick contact within BorgWarner for sure :D

Been in contact for a long time. I plan on testing a 9180 on a v6 next year. As much data as possible. Hot boost, cold boost, hot boost temp, cold boost temp, shaft speed, exhaust pressure, etc. I plan on running to the end of the compressor map. Engine is a 9.3:1 stock stroke. Really good heads and solid cam. At 30-32psi it should run all in depending on air quality. 95lbs/min

BPE2013@hotmail.com

Been in contact for a long time. I plan on testing a 9180 on a v6 next year. As much data as possible. Hot boost, cold boost, hot boost temp, cold boost temp, shaft speed, exhaust pressure, etc. I plan on running to the end of the compressor map. Engine is a 9.3:1 stock stroke. Really good heads and solid cam. At 30-32psi it should run all in depending on air quality. 95lbs/min

BPE2013@hotmail.com

I cant wait to see the 9180 rotor group evaluated on that combo

I have not spoken directly to John, but I am pretty sure he is aware of the project! It is great to have a Buick contact within BorgWarner for sure :D

I am aware of the project and am eager to see it succeed. Which turbine housing are you going with?

Here's a link to a build thread of my Mazda RX-7 with a GN engine boosted with an EFR 8374.
Holy EFR Batman!
It's not a Buick, but it's a Buick at heart, the thread shows that an 8374, and therefore a 9180 which has the same pierce points, will fit on a Turbo-V6.

I am aware of the project and am eager to see it succeed. Which turbine housing are you going with?

Here's a link to a build thread of my Mazda RX-7 with a GN engine boosted with an EFR 8374.
Holy EFR Batman!
It's not a Buick, but it's a Buick at heart, the thread shows that an 8374, and therefore a 9180 which has the same pierce points, will fit on a Turbo-V6.

Ha! Seth sent me a few pics of your car as it was coming together! Very nice sir :D

Ha! Seth sent me a few pics of your car as it was coming together! Very nice sir :D

Thanks! Most if not all of the credit goes to Seth and his mad fab skills. The pictures in the beginning of the Batman thread show overall underhood shots of the fab work. Seth did a great job of routing all of the pipes, and the attention to detail shows. For example the TiAl wastegate is mounted near a dished out area of the inner fender well, it looks like Mazda planned for it to be mounted there.

IMG_0211.JPG
IMG_0211.JPG
IMG_0212.JPG
IMG_0213.JPG
IMG_0214.JPG
IMG_0215.JPG
IMG_0216.JPG
IMG_0217.JPG
IMG_0218.JPG
IMG_0219.JPG
Engine is out! Lot's of cleaning and painting to do aside from the engine parts and sensor install. Let the fun begin :)

We are making progress, just haven't had time to post any updates. Attached are some pics of the engine teardown. Today we are measuring for the custom intercooler Reed and I are building as well as doing some port matching/cleaning of the intake manifold to keep everything flowing smooth. It's going to be several weeks before we get all the pressure sensors we are going to use but we have enough now to get us started. We do have all the thermocouples we need on the way. I may have mentioned it before but we are measuring EGTs on each cyl as well as the downpipe (we have a future exhaust project we need data for), temps at the compressor discharge, before and after the intercooler right at the tank to measure actual temp difference from the intercooler, and then of course, our IAT sensor should suffice for temps in the manifold. The sensor has already been installed in the back of the mani for the XFI. Back to work!
IMG_0223.JPG
IMG_0224.JPG
IMG_0225.JPG
IMG_0226.JPG

Engine is almost as far down as we need it. Wanted to clean a good portion of it prior to taking the cam cover off. Took my Griot's Garage Engine Cleaner and did the first round of cleaning on both the engine and engine bay.
IMG_0228.JPG
IMG_0229.JPG

It's like Christmas a month early! Ordered the parts Thursday late afternoon and got most of the parts Fri, the rest came in today. It's so awesome when you get good service!
IMG_0230.JPG
IMG_0231.JPG