87 GN EFR Build

pe_turbo

Ladies and gents,

Thanks to Reed Patridge at Work Turbochargers, I've gotten my hands on an 8374 EFR for my 87!! I've got to make some decisions on several parts but I have a set of GN1 heads, roller rockers, and a nice camshaft. Looking at a couple supporting mods such as a front mount intercooler, etc but the car is basically stock now except for the Black XFI. I'm going to document the build pretty thoroughly to include the data/results from the dyno pulls. I'm super excited, this turbo is like no other I've ever seen, I think it will do really well on the Buick. I'll post some pics this weekend of the car/parts and detail what additional parts I come up with as well as how we are fitting up the turbo so it maintains the factory look.

8374.jpg
borgwarner-efr-8374-turbo-content-1.jpg

Very interesting and great price point for all the technology you get. Makes me want to drop my precision

The technology in the turbo is super cool for sure. The inertia in the rotating group is so low it will spin by just breathing on it. Lol. I'm going to make a YouTube vid doing just that. It's rated officially at 750hp IIRC but we probably won't see that kind of number to start with, I still have a stock bottom end.

I picked up some Injector Dynamics ID1000 injectors for it today so fuel is taken care of. I'm deciding on the intercooler and radiator now. Monday I start taking the motor out to do the heads/studs/cam/converter. I'm so excited. A dream come true!

I've decided to use a Stainless Kenne Bell header slightly modified for my application using 2 turbosmart 45mm wastegates dumped into the atmosphere. Some will like that and some will not, I'm still infatuated with the GN sound...the only car I've ever had that sees WOT every single time I drive it just for the sound alone. I may change it one day but for now, LOUD works! LOL We are also using a turbosmart BOV for made for the EFR that discharges 50% of the pressure to the atmosphere. I'm not super into the BOV sound but I really want to try the valve to see how it works. My downpipe will be 3.5" stainless, not sure what muffler, but it will be a straight through stainless racing muffler turned down at the rear axle.

Data Acquisition:

Here is where the project gets fun. I'm a data-holic..don't like anecdotal evidence, I really like to know what does what so here are the sensors going on the car:

Each cyl will have a thermocouple in the primary
Header will have an exhaust BP sensor
turbo will have wheel speed sensor
Pre/Post intercooler thermocouples and pressure sensors in addition to the MAP sensor; this will show pressure drop in the tubing and will allow me to determine where/how I can effect temps
Wideband 02 in the DP
Im using the Speed Sensor as the driveshaft sensor for the traction control/converter slip

As the car gets rolling, I've got some ideas to keep the eye on the chassis performance and I have a staging circuit I'm building to ~auto-control staging for drag racing. I'll get into more detail about how that works when I get the circuit components nailed down.

I honestly don't know yet if the XFI has enough channels left to make all this happen so I may have to add on some logging capability. thought about using a FAST Dash but I really like the Digital Dash I have (cheesy I know but as a teenager in 87 it was so cool to me so its always been my dream to have one)

More to follow! Pics will start rolling in Monday when old parts start flying off the car :)

i was curious on how you're do the wheel speed sensor for turbo, looks like it has a prevision for it, good deal.

Yes sir, it has a speed sensor provision so all we have to do it drill it out. Reed is going to do a video on how to properly set it up and then I'm going to do one on how I make it work with my XFI.

I recently spec a lot of parts for a road race car with an EFR 9180. Using two turbosmart gates a race port bov and a set of race ported TA heads with a special cam. I'm hoping for 500whp on 93 octane only. No alky and instant response from 4500rpm up. It's a 4.1 block. Reed is a great guy.

BPE2013@hotmail.com

TurboDave, we are using the integrated BOV port that comes on the turbo, the turbosmart fits into the factory location.

Brian, we looked over BW's matchbot extensively to pick out this model. Our wheel numbers will be just shy (at 18-22psi) of what you want but response should be phenominal. It's a street car(stock block as well) that I may put on the track every now and again so driveability was a big concern. Of course, with race gas or alky and 30-40psi it will run with the best of them. The 9180 should breathe easy at 500 and still really respond well. Looking forward to seeing how your project turns out as well. Keep us posted.

I recently spec a lot of parts for a road race car with an EFR 9180. Using two turbosmart gates a race port bov and a set of race ported TA heads with a special cam. I'm hoping for 500whp on 93 octane only. No alky and instant response from 4500rpm up. It's a 4.1 block. Reed is a great guy.

BPE2013@hotmail.com
I cannot wait to see how that project turns out, for sure!

Lots of instrumentation! Very cool

Tommy is the "data king" for sure...I am super excited to be a part of this test, BorgWarner is on board with us every step of the way and we will have some pretty useful data to share with the Buick community over the next month. Lots of good things coming in the near future ;D