'61 Corvette Restomod w/2004R...transmision advice needed.

Stan's Customs

Wow 625 pages to search on transmissions alone...2 hours and I haven't made a final decision.

I've been building a '61 corvette for several years and am using a Buick Grand National 2004r..

(yep the real deal too) I've had the pan off and checked the valve body , governor and servo. It all matches the info I have that indicates it is a GN trans.

The car weighs 3000 lbs., the engine is a new carbureted GMPP ZZ4 , (350Cubic inches, 355 hp., 405 lbs. torque according to GM), peak torque around 5500 rpm, tires are 215/70/15 Michelins...rear is a Dana 44 with 3:33 gears....in a Corvette Correction C4 custom chassis.

The car is to be a "show driver".. parades, occasional romp around the Sonic and down the drag on Saturday night ..and perhaps some short 200/300 mile rod runs in Texas heat. (car has AC, electric windows, Be Kool radiator, Spal fan, etc.)

In short.. all around drivability is paramount....and next, just a FUN driving experience, along with absolutely the best that can be done for reliability.

You guys have the most knowledge regarding these transmissions of anywhere on the internet....so I thought I would see if I could get some opinions regarding how you would set up the transmission for this car. I may not need much of a stall converter for this kind of driving? I can't make up my mind regarding a lockup or non lockup converter? ..or the easiest way to wire it, if a lockup is the answer?.

One of our local transmission guys thinks a lockup 12" converter with the lowest stall available would best...with a simple switch to lock it up in 4th. Keep it simple is his thoughts...and I can't say that I disagree, but all the reading I've done here has me doubting what to do ....there's a lot of ways to skin this cat.

I'd sure appreciate some concise recommendations for this car's 2004R, if anyone would care offer their opinion on stall, converter of choice (lock up, non lock up , and size 12", 10")...along with a converter source if you don't mind.

Of course any other comments you would like to make are welcome as well.

Thanks and best regards.. Stan M.

20 hits..in an hour and no advice..lol....Well it's past my bed time, maybe tomorrow...

Goodnight guys....
Stan

Is this a fresh trans, or a unit you are assuming is GTG?
Have the "must have" parts been replaced??
IE: Stator support, w/ the hardened part.
The input shaft/drum.
And, I'm sure there are some others I don't recall. [Been a long time since I used 1]
There will be others w/ more experience, [goorus] chime in, I'm sure.

a stock trans should be fine. I'd also stay with a stock D5 LU converter. Several kits out there for the TV cable.

I'm using a BRF 200r4 in my 57 chevy ,
trans all stock, with stock D5 converter, using a one wire
lockup kit, ( automatically locks in 4th gear)
its behind a 383 small block, about 400-425 HP
with no issues, I don't beat it or abuse it in my normal driving,
but it does see some performance driving from time to time.
I prefer the gear ratios in a 200r4 over a 700r4 .

I'm with the last two posters. Have a stock(rebuilt by me) 2004r in '79 vette with a lighted toggle switch for converter L/U with 3:55 gears out back n couldn't b happier. Not that many miles yet n drive similar to the style you describe. BTW, stock converter too.

Good morning fellas and thanks for helping out...

This transmission was bought from a GM employee in Arlington Texas...he got it along with a unfinished hot rod project he bought from someone else (he went with a stick).. The transmission was supposed to be a fresh rebuild from the abandoned hot rod project, never installed and no converter (yet). It appeared to be fresh when I pulled the pan to determine if it really was a BRF transmission. The gaskets are all new inside and it looks very clean.... I plan on having it disassembled to see if all the bushings, etc. have been replaced since it has been sitting several years...I've had it 4 years, don't know how long it sat before that after being gone thru.

Can anyone tell me the stall on a D5 converter offhand....

Cruzn57...does the automatic lockup in 4th., seem normal when driving?

I was little concerned about a stock converter's stall ...since this transmission was designed with giving a turbo time to spool up in mind. I expect it will be in a few parades with the a/c running while it creeps along in some very high ambient temps. (maybe 100 degrees or so ..?)

I think the trans guy I talked to (definitely a Ford fan) may not have a lot of luv for the 2004r...from the 200's early poor reputation. ...and may be why he suggest the lowest stall converter that can be had. Hence my questions here.

I'm guessing that those who use the D5 converter have had ample exposure at red lights or heavy traffic to formulate an opinion on the stall for a project such as mine...yes/no?

Also..I've considered both ways mentioned above to lock up the converter...but haven't driven or ridden behind either one. Toggle switch..or 4th gear switch...is there any disadvantage to either one over the other?

Thanks...Stan...

Behind your V8 the Buick V6 D5 will stall stall around 1800-2000 rpm. The Buick D5 is looser than a Monte Carlo SS D5 but tighter than a Corvette. The Corvette had the loosest 12" lock up converter which was around a 2200-2400 stall.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Hey Dusty, what about a D7? What do you think it would stall at behind his motor?

I'd use a an input housing with the billet shaft, a good billet servo and a shift kit. I like the CK transmissions shift kit and servo. I've used them on 3 different builds now and had very good luck with these pieces.

Bowtie Overdrives makes TV cable kits for many different applications.

Hey Dusty, what about a D7? What do you think it would stall at behind his motor?

If the D7 hasn't been modified it's tighter than a GN D5 by about 400 rpm. I'd call it a 1600 stall similar to some of the Monte Carlo D5's. You can't pay much attention to the stampings anymore. These converters have been reman'd and the markings not changed so you don't know what you have until you put it in.

You mention Arlington and that's my neck o the woods. You don't say where you are. There are several locals that are pretty good with the 2004r.
As mentioned above the hardened stator support and Sun shell. If you plan to dual feed or just want piece of mind a billet shaft forward drum. You say the trans is fresh but you have had it sitting four years. Hard rings for the pump, Maybe a larger set of boost valves and a heavier spring or two for the pump.
I sent you a pm.
Dusty has an excellent reputation for torque converters. If you go to a nlu you will need the correct valve for the pump.

Rich

4th gear lock up, is a kit I got from ebay, replaces the normally open switch with a normally closed one, and 1 hot wire hook up.
only locks up in 4th, and disengages as soon as it down shifts to 3rd, works great, only time you notice it is very lite throttle, and you feel
4th shift, and lock up., under heavier throttle ( not full throttle) you feel 4th, and a slight rpm change,
I would recommend a lock up converter, as it reduces trans heat when cruzing, also run a BIG trans cooler!
my 383 has a lumpy cam, and D5 works great with it. I'd guess stall is about 1800-2000 ( so it idles in gear fine)
unless your going to be rough with it, the stock trans will work fine, I broke 3 input shafts on my 200r4 race car, before going to billet , but car made 600 rear wheel horse power! and didn't break until I put slicks on it.

With a Holley Carb you'll need this TV cable Bracket & TV geometry corrector Bracket.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-m08080/overview/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-700202
TV Cable Corrector &  Bracket.jpg

TV cable Info:
http://www.tvmadeez.com/article/index.php
http://www.jakesperformance.com/TV_Cable_Setup_Info.html

Cheap Lockup Kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250782490188?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Lockup diagram w/4-Pin Brake light switch:
TCC Lockup Diagram.jpg

I have a czf monte trans in my 77 corvette, Behind a 355 zz4 with 355 gears. I have the lockup wired with a relay and disengaged through the brake sw. Followed the Ck manual on the rebuid with his shift kit. Stock monte rebuilt convertor. Totally impressed with the results. It's a pleasure to drive especially on the highway