*** 2011 Rules VOTING HERE! ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I vote YES on all!!!!

this is going to make things REALLY INTERESTING!!!!!

JD

P.S have raced TSM several times over the last 3 years.

About the tire rule for those wondering what the difference might be. The 295/55 is basically M/T's answer to the 275/60 tire from Hoosier. MT's 275/60 is a smaller tire and doesn't work as well as the Hoosier. So it's not actually voting on a larger tire but just opening up the options as the Hoosiers can be hard to come by as they are the tire of choice for the hundreds of 275 class racers out there. The M/T is cheaper and can be easier to get.

Turbo Tech / Protest Clarification:

IF the racers want to inspect a turbo before the race in peer tech we will do everything the same as years past. IF someone protest a racer to tear down a turbo to measure with the rings there will be $250 at stake. IF the turbo is illegal the racer is disqualified from TSM. IF the turbo is legal the accused racer keeps the protest money for the time/effort/burns that may be incurred.

Jason, I'm glad to see someone step up and get some sponsorship for the class. I see that you are now the moderator of the TSM section on this board, does that also mean that Scott has officially handed over RRA duties to the class as well?

On the rules proposals:

I have participated in this class since 2006 regularly, built my car around the long established TSM rules, and upgraded turbos and many other parts in order to try to stay somewhat competitive in the class. Now I have to deal with all of these changes.

Items that are not going to be changed for 2011 are the weights just to keep the same records and ET stats.

This class has 3 base rules turbo size ,weights and 109 block .

Based on these two quotes above, how can this rule even be on the ballot.
5. 67 or smaller Turbo - iron heads 3300 lbs/aluminum heads 3450

I don't have a problem with a 67 running in TSM, I just don't think they need the weight break.

We had to buy a turbo last year to stay in the ball park with the heavy hitters in TSM. There is no reason that I should have to run 250 pounds heavier than a car which has an iron headed monster with a 67HPQ or 100 pounds lighter than Al heads which is only rated at 50 less horsepower than my 71HPQ. I switched from a 70 GTQ which is rated at less horsepower than the 67HPQ and the 6765. I didn't get a weight break.

Let's take our current Iron Head record holder for example, I believe he is running a 70GTQ, now he would have to give up 100 pounds to a guy running a 67 which is rated at more horsepower. How does that make sense?:confused:

If a guy wants to run a 67 in TSM, have at it. Run what you brung and hope you brung enough or go race in one of the two classes that are built around the 67.

It looks like the troops have been rallied and based on the votes so far in this thread, it doesn't really matter what I think, but this is a deal killer for me. I'll be watching from the sidelines this year if this rule is implemented as it deviates from the core rules of TSM.

Jason, I'm glad to see someone step up and get some sponsorship for the class. I see that you are now the moderator of the TSM section on this board, does that also mean that Scott has officially handed over RRA duties to the class as well?

That is correct!

If a guy wants to run a 67 in TSM, have at it. Run what you brung and hope you brung enough or go race in one of the two classes that are built around the 67.

It looks like the troops have been rallied and based on the votes so far in this thread, it doesn't really matter what I think, but this is a deal killer for me. I'll be watching from the sidelines this year if this rule is implemented as it deviates from the core rules of TSM.

Tim, sorry you feel that way. I'd hate to see you not race in TSM with a car that ran a 9.3 at the last race. I would hope that since you have put in years of racing in TSM that you would welcome new comers and support the class.

The core rules are 109 block, up to a maximum sized 71.5 turbo, and weight based off of that turbo. The 67 rule proposal was there to try to increase participation in TSM. If somone has a 67 with a TH400 trans or 9" rear they can race.

I have raced in this class since the very first race. I've made gradual changes to the car over the years. Change is the way the world is. No one is stating that you have to make any changes. I do not plan on changing anything with my car.

I haven't rallied anyone except trying to get the class going again.

Just to let everyone know.
The 3 turbos that we are talking about have the following flywheel hp ratings when maxed out.

- 70GTQ (and 70HPQ for that matter) were rated to support 850 fwhp.

- Billet 67HPQ (6768 in our part number structure) is rated at 935 fwhp.

- Billet 71HPQ, largest current TSM legal turbo (7168 in our part number structure) is rated at 945 fwhp.

Based on what I've heard from customer feed back on the 67HPQ turbo with pretty much TSM build combinations, I do not know why there are those who would not welcome the 67HPQ into this class? The billet 67HPQ does make very good power, as we have all read and some of us have witnessed first hand, but, IMO, it's not a turbo that would run away with the class. Besides I don't know of many 109 built combos that could push 45+psi of boost and keep the motor in one piece. Ain't happening. And we all know that you will pretty much be pushing any one of these turbos very hard to be in the top half of the field. Especially with our 3-bolt turbine housings that we have to work with.

I like what I've read about the rule changes and agree that it would give someone with a 67 turbo a place to run, who might not be able to run in the other 67mm class. I also applaud Jason for stepping up and doing his best to breath life back into the class.
2011 is going to be an awesome year for Turbo Buick racing.

Just my O2's worth.

Patrick

Just to let everyone know.
The 3 turbos that we are talking about have the following flywheel hp ratings when maxed out.

- 70GTQ (and 70HPQ for that matter) were rated to support 850 fwhp.

- Billet 67HPQ (6768 in our part number structure) is rated at 935 fwhp.

- Billet 71HPQ, largest current TSM legal turbo (7168 in our part number structure) is rated at 945 fwhp.

Patrick

Thank you for posting those numbers. I don't have a problem with the 67. Just goes to show that there is no need for a 100 or 150 pound weight break for running a 67.

I have raced in this class since the very first race. I've made gradual changes to the car over the years. Change is the way the world is. No one is stating that you have to make any changes. I do not plan on changing anything with my car.

Since that first TSM race, what are the three things that haven't changed?
109, 71.5mm turbo, weight.

Thank you for posting those numbers. I don't have a problem with the 67. Just goes to show that there is no need for a 100 or 150 pound weight break for running a 67.

Since that first TSM race, what are the three things that haven't changed?
109, 71.5mm turbo, weight.

Those numbers are "Maxed Out" Numbers that Patrick posted. I doubt anyone would be able to run that type of HP (45+ psi) with a 109 block. The weight break proposal (not a rule) is there to open up the class to other cars that do not fit the TSH and TSR classes. Example someone with a Th350 or TH400 trans.

BTW, I still have not recieved several votes, including your vote Tim. This still stands as a proposal until the voting ends on Jan 31st.

I will be running my car with no changes 70 GTQ and 3.5 in exhaust ,if any rules pass I'm ready for the racers that come in .

bring it on the iron headed monster is ready!:cool::eek:

I was sent a PM today and it seems as if we "lost" four hardcore TSM racers because of a rules PROPOSAL that could be voted out if they would just cast their vote.

Voting will end on Jan 31st.

Is this over the 67 weight break? What is the fastest anyone's been with a 67? 9.80? 9.50? Like you said Jason, it's still just a proposal anyways. I don't really see someone coming in with a 67 car running 8's. The ratings don't mean alot till someone runs the number. The 71's have made more like 900hp to the tire so it seems.

I'm running a 70 & plan on racing some this year.

Kind of depends on the race fund, Bowling green for sure, we've been there for the last 5 years in a row. I am hoping to possibly make it to norwalk in may also. Those two events are 750 mi one way and we will also be at the buick/ford shootout in oklahoma right before BG. It would be nice if they did have a TSM race in noble like they tried to do last year (2009) since we will be there anyways. The other ones are either over 1000 mi away or in the heat of the summer :( I run a small business with only one employee-me, so it's hard to take off alot of time. Unfortunately I am not strategically located for buick races.

On another note, I can't see taking 100lbs off my car & switching to a 67 turbo as any kind of advantage.

You should try make reynolds good times great racin ,but understand the business thing same boat. I an tryin to make a few racesthis year.

Status
Not open for further replies.