2011 F150 EcoBoost

I pulled both my mustangs,and buick on a full 18 ft steel car trailer and it done fine as long as you towed pretty much on level ground,hit a bit of a grade and it really struggled big time. It was a nice truck other than that,however..Maybe something wasn't right with mine,but never a code thrown or anything....Just going by seat of the pants feel the little ecoboost would hand the 5.3 its ass.

I haven't towed further north than Reynolds Ga from FL, so I don't know about hills. I should have got the 6.2L 403hp V8, but I got a good deal on the 5.3L so I'll have to settle for the slow lane.

The Ford has awesome power and an awesome, flat, broad, torque curve. Obviously its also more complicated and won't be cheap to fix out of warranty. If Ford can keep the spark plugs from either blowing out of the heads or snapping off in the heads they might have a good engine.

Real tow vehicles don't have spark plugs.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

I've had my 2011 Ecoboost FX4 since April. Mine has been flawless and fun to drive.

Picture235Medium.jpg

I am a GM guy but I sell Fords and they are planning 90% of all gas engines to be ecoboost in one way shape or form in 2014. They have everything from a 1.0L 3 cylinder planned, to 1.6, 2.0, and 2.5 4 cylinders, all with single turbos, and the 3.5L twin-turbo ecoboost V6 that is out now. They are designed well, turbos close to the block and water cooled, plus they have a system that circulates oil to them after shutdown. Also, all ford motor oil is semi-synthetic now, to aid with extended service intervals of the factory recommended 5w-20. Direct injection is the key though and this is as close to a diesel engine in principle as anything with sparkplugs can get. High fuel line pressure injected directly into the cylinder under compression equals no added heat, and no hard surfaces for the mixture to hit on it's way to final destination ie: intake runner, back of valve. These engines have 10.3:1 compression ratios, 15 to 20 psi of boost from the factory, 90% of it's 420lb/ft of torque available from 1500rpm to redline (thank you variable cam timing), so efficient that there is no EGR, two small turbos hitting full song at 1500rpm with limited lag, and all on regular old 87 octane with no ping! It really is the best of all worlds, and if Ford put a bottom end in it like they do on the 32valve 4.6L and 5.4L supercharged V8 cars, then no one has anything to worry about as far as reliability. I still want to see one with 150k miles, but with all anti-turbo factors taken care of, this is a game changer.

GM is using all the same technology such as direct inject, twin-independent variable cam timing, and a high boost small turbo in the turbo regals. A buddy bought a T2, made in Germany, and despite the computer controls ruining some fun, it's super torquey on the street which is nice. It pulls all hills at 2k rpms at 70mph and makes it's peak torque at 2k rpm so you can average 33-38mpg, weather depending, at 70mph and no shifting of the trans, even out of lock. The Ford and the Buick all down shift a gear but keep the converter locked to assist fuel economy when they do need to though, even though it's rare.

Real tow vehicles don't have spark plugs.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

True but then again who likes to drive "real" tow vehicles everyday? My Lariat is one of the nicest riding vehicles I've ever owned.

BTW I raced my buddies LB7 CC short bed duramax that had a chip, exhaust, boost valve and air intake and won, it was close but this truck is still stock!

I haven't had any long enough trips to figure towing mileage yet. If I can get over 10mpg on the hwy with a loaded open I'll be happy. If I get anywhere near 10mpg with the enclosed loaded I will be ecstatic!

Nice looking FX4 did you take the ecoboost emblems off?

I haven't

How do you distinguish the Ecoboost from a n/a F150? That's a nice looking truck you got there 2NASTYBUICKS.

How do you distinguish the Ecoboost from a n/a F150? That's a nice looking truck you got there 2NASTYBUICKS.

There are ecoboost emblems on the lower front portion of both doors. Also the front plate holder is moved to the driver’s side of the bumper to allow for airflow to the intercooler.

The pulling power of an eco boost vs the 5.3
should be like night + day look at the specs.

2010 silverado 5.3
:315 hp @ 5200
:335 tq @ 4000 rpm

2011 ecoboost f-150
:365 hp @ 5000
:420 tq @ 2500

That 420 ft lb at only 2500 is what makes all the difference in the world,the 5.3 is probably making about 200 ft lb less at 2500 rpm,thats a HUGE difference,+ then the eco boost also goes on to make an extra 50 hp over the 5.3 using 200 less rpm.
world of difference between those 2 motors.
I'm not saying that to put down the chevy,my truck + basically everyday driver is a 98 silverado 5.7 but i don't think it's going to be even close the pulling power of the eco-boost either.
And as we all know that twin turbo 6 must have alot of potential just sitting there, waiting to be turned up.

Even fords 5.0 in the trucks blows away the 5.3, with 360 hp + 380 ft lb tq. + still can't compare with the eco-boost.

on

I'm still digging my 5.4L with a K&N, Flowmasters and Program. Stock tows 11,300. :eek:

Attachments

• Re-exposure of DSC00344.JPG
    Re-exposure of DSC00344.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 352
  • Resize of DSC02079.jpg
    Resize of DSC02079.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 307